shorty clutch lever for K1200LT ?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jun 27th, 2017, 7:58 pm Thread Starter

shorty clutch lever for K1200LT ??

I have Dupuytren's contracture in my left ring finger (look it up, then hope you don't get it !!) that prevents my ring finger from extending. Surgery was only a temporary fix, it turns out. This means I can't straighten my ring finger enough to reach the clutch lever. I also can't use just my index and middle fingers to pull in the clutch lever, because my non-functioning ring finger stays between the grip and the lever and keeps me from keeps me from being able to pull the lever all the way in.

Hence my question: is there a short (2-finger) clutch lever that will work with a 2005 K1200LT ??

Thanks !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jun 27th, 2017, 11:01 pm

Garage
Re: shorty clutch lever for K1200LT ??

first, did you alter the lever to the lowest position and try it.?

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #3 of 10 Old Jun 27th, 2017, 11:23 pm

I have the same syndrome but not so sever yet. There is a injection of a drug that will dissolve the stuff growing on the ligament rather than surgery to just go in and scrape the stuff off. It may be difficult to find quality aftermarket lever for your older bike, especially with ABS. Two finger braking yes, two finger clutch work tough. I know it hurts to stretch out the finger. Maybe try cutting off a stock lever?
Worst case cut the ligament???? Then you would still have your little finger to help.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)

post #4 of 10 Old Jun 28th, 2017, 5:09 am

You could cut yours down, or put a bend in the lever. (like how it would end up after a wipe-out)
I have also seen air used engage the clutch on race bikes

I am lucky!
I lost 3 fingers on my right hand. I can lock the front tire with just my little finger. I don't think I could pull the clutch with my little finger.
post #5 of 10 Old Jun 29th, 2017, 5:37 pm Thread Starter

My clutch lever is already adjusted to the position where it's closest to the lever, but that's not enough. I am reluctant to cut down a stock lever; for one thing, I'd lose the ball on the end of the lever, and it seems like I'd have less control without it. There's a ton of Chinese aftermarket CNC machined short levers on eBay, but mostly for race bikes or dual sports, including some K bikes. Some of these MAY be interchangeable with the LT levers, but I don't know for sure.

Beech, that injectable you mentioned is called Xiaflex. I've had it twice -- once successfully, and once not, which is what led to surgery. That was two years ago and the condition has returned already. Its rapid return and progression are going to get me named by name in the Dupuytren's medical literature

Last edited by Turbocat; Jun 29th, 2017 at 6:46 pm. Reason: clarity
post #6 of 10 Old Jun 29th, 2017, 10:31 pm

Sorry your having such trouble.

Beech

post #7 of 10 Old Jun 30th, 2017, 11:10 am

Why not mark up your clutch lever where you want it changed. Figure out the length to be removed. Take it to a weld shop have it cut and the ball end welded on, some fill material and grinding should look great and be what you want. Probably about 50 or 60$. Then you know you will have one that fits well.

Beech

post #8 of 10 Old Jun 30th, 2017, 12:30 pm Thread Starter

That might be the easiest solution ...thanks !

post #9 of 10 Old Jul 16th, 2017, 11:03 am Thread Starter

There's a bunch of Chinese sellers on eBay offering short or adjustable brake and clutch levers. All the ones I found for the LT say they fit 2006-2008 models. Was there a change from 2005 to 2006 models? I thought '05 and later were the same.

post #10 of 10 Old Jul 16th, 2017, 11:26 am

If you go to MAX parts site you can look up the model and year, then compare part numbers to see if there are any changes.
https://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/PartsFiche.aspx

Beech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in