• 1 Post By wtevritks
  • 6 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By nugtoperator
  • 1 Post By ValkyrieRider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Jun 27th, 2017, 6:04 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Michelin Pilot Road 4 tires

Anyone have any use or thoughts, anecdotes about the Michelin Pilot Road 4 tires?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Jun 27th, 2017, 6:28 pm

Re: Michelin Pilot Road 4 tires

Not for the LT, it's too heavy.

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 Old Jun 27th, 2017, 6:37 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Im a noob to tires for heavy bikes, what exactly is the sidewall rating of 79 and how would it affect the ride if say, you went tiwht a 70 or even less? I ask for the education. Thanks.

post #4 of 16 Old Jun 27th, 2017, 7:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarlos View Post
Im a noob to tires for heavy bikes, what exactly is the sidewall rating of 79 and how would it affect the ride if say, you went tiwht a 70 or even less? I ask for the education. Thanks.
There are many web sites that show the mapping of load rating to weight.

Ride probably isn't much affected until the tire overheats and blows out which makes the ride more squirrelly.

The bigger ride issue on the LT is probably related to the REINF sidewall requirement. I don't know, but I suspect standard 79 tires didn't have stiff enough sidewalls even though they had the raw weight capacity. Tire ratings aren't independent. They interact in complex ways. Going outside the manufacturers specifications can be exciting given the right confluence of events.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 Old Jun 27th, 2017, 9:27 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The front will work OK just don't try the rear. I use the Bridgestone B020 for the rear and I will try a PR4 GT on the front next time as I run them both on my K1300GT and love them. But the GT is 350 lbs less than the LT.
58caddy likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #6 of 16 Old Jun 27th, 2017, 9:39 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Ive researched this subject and it seems as popular and as whacky as a "whats the best Oil" thread. I guess everyone has their preferences, but I dont want to skimp on safety at all.

I didnt research this before going to the store to get a front tire installed. I had Bt-020 on the front , but it had bubbles on it. So I got the front tire changed today. Ive had the bike since Sept of 16. They had the Pilot 4 in stock and said it was ok for the bike. I asked about the rear and they said they have them in stock and when I was ready, they could put on a Pilot 4 back tire.

The back tire is still a Battleaxe tire.

I just chatted with Michelin and they tell me that they dont make a Pilot Road 4 for the LK. They also advised not to mix different model tires.

I rode the bike around the block , so far, and am afraid to ride it further as it may jeopardize what goes on tomorrow with this dealer and a safety factor.

I have to admit, it shook like crazy and you couldnt ride no handed at all with the bubbled tire, todays short jaunt, was true as an arrow with no hands ( for a brief moment).

What would you do in this situation? Would you just say go for a Pilot 4 and run with it, or should I go with a different Michein, they said that the Commander II and the Scorcher 31 are rated for the LT.

I know its alot, but Im lost as to what to do.

Any advice you offer would be greatly appreciated.

I reside in Indianapolis, so theres not a lot of twisty turns around this flat place.
post #7 of 16 Old Jun 28th, 2017, 2:13 am

Garage

Quote:

I reside in Indianapolis, so theres not a lot of twisty turns around this flat place.
On the eastside, take a cruise up Fall Creek Road. That's a fun one! Start about 56th street and ride it out to Geist.
post #8 of 16 Old Jun 28th, 2017, 4:25 am

The only radial tire weight rated and with a reinforced sidewall is the Avon storm 3dxm. There are a few bias ply tires. The Bridgestone Bt020. Shinko makes a reinforced rear tire. Not sure of the model. And Metzeler makes a replacement for the original ME 880. The ME 888 i think it is that's weight rated. I have mixed tire brands by looking to see if they have similar tread patterns with great results. Just don't mix radials and bias.I'm running Avon radials now. But next time, may try a Pr4 up front and a Bridgestone BT020 on the rear. Hope that helps.
Guitarlos likes this.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

Last edited by james216; Jun 28th, 2017 at 4:33 am.
post #9 of 16 Old Jun 28th, 2017, 6:16 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Time View Post
On the eastside, take a cruise up Fall Creek Road. That's a fun one! Start about 56th street and ride it out to Geist.
Thats one rough road! lol

I love heading towards Brown County when I get time to go, love it there.
post #10 of 16 Old Jun 28th, 2017, 6:17 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Ive researched this subject and it seems as popular and as whacky as a "whats the best Oil" thread. I guess everyone has their preferences, but I dont want to skimp on safety at all.

I didnt research this before going to the store to get a front tire installed. I had Bt-020 on the front , but it had bubbles on it. So I got the front tire changed today. Ive had the bike since Sept of 16. They had the Pilot 4 in stock and said it was ok for the bike. I asked about the rear and they said they have them in stock and when I was ready, they could put on a Pilot 4 back tire.

The back tire is still a Battleaxe tire.

I just chatted with Michelin and they tell me that they dont make a Pilot Road 4 for the LK. They also advised not to mix different model tires.

I rode the bike around the block , so far, and am afraid to ride it further as it may jeopardize what goes on tomorrow with this dealer and a safety factor.

I have to admit, it shook like crazy and you couldnt ride no handed at all with the bubbled tire, todays short jaunt, was true as an arrow with no hands ( for a brief moment).

What would you do in this situation? Would you just say go for a Pilot 4 and run with it, or should I go with a different Michein, they said that the Commander II and the Scorcher 31 are rated for the LT.

I know its alot, but Im lost as to what to do.

Any advice you offer would be greatly appreciated.

Might want to add at least the year of your bike to your sig file. Many things, including tires, depend on the model year.
Guitarlos likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #11 of 16 Old Jun 28th, 2017, 11:17 am

Another issue to think about, having a tire that "fits" but is not load rated can cause serious issues with insurance if things go badly and it's determined your tires had some fault in it.
This bike is one of the heaviest on the road and BMW made sure to make an oddball sized tire that no one else uses, like they do with most everything else they do.
As others have said The Bridgestone Battleaxe BT020 bias ply are great tires and cost less than the Metzlers. They were also OEM tires from 2005-2009.
Guitarlos likes this.
post #12 of 16 Old Jun 28th, 2017, 11:45 am

I ride an 02 LT and have run a set of Michelin Road Pilots and Commanders; no problem. Mileage sucked at only 6500 miles. The best I've ever had with the best mileage is the Marathon ME888. Currently over 12000 miles and still wearing great; I might add that I run them with Nitrogen.
Guitarlos likes this.
post #13 of 16 Old Jun 28th, 2017, 1:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtevritks View Post
I ride an 02 LT and have run a set of Michelin Road Pilots and Commanders; no problem. Mileage sucked at only 6500 miles. The best I've ever had with the best mileage is the Marathon ME888. Currently over 12000 miles and still wearing great; I might add that I run them with Nitrogen.
I run 80% nitrogen in my tires.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #14 of 16 Old Jun 28th, 2017, 3:47 pm

Quote:
Anyone have any use or thoughts, anecdotes about the Michelin Pilot Road 4 tires?
Yes, I used on 2007 K1200gt, the tires are nice but you have to keep tire pressure up otherwise it will scallops (cupping). PR4 do come in 2 versions regular PR4 or Print, the GT has reinforce side wall for heavier motorcycle. You can shop for them at www.compacc.com or www.denniskirk.com, I sold my GT and went to RT with Metzler Z8, got caught in a rain storm earlier this year and I was surprised and happy that Metzler tracked and handled well in wet weather at 75 Mph.

Sent from my SGP312 using Tapatalk
Guitarlos likes this.
post #15 of 16 Old Jun 28th, 2017, 3:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugtoperator View Post
Yes, I used on 2007 K1200gt, the tires are nice but you have to keep tire pressure up otherwise it will scallops (cupping). PR4 do come in 2 versions regular PR4 or Print, the GT has reinforce side wall for heavier motorcycle. You can shop for them at www.compacc.com or www.denniskirk.com, I sold my GT and went to RT with Metzler Z8, got caught in a rain storm earlier this year and I was surprised and happy that Metzler tracked and handled well in wet weather at 75 Mph.

Sorry for auto correct, not print but GT.

post #16 of 16 Old Jun 30th, 2017, 11:45 pm

Not sure about the Road 4's, but I'm running Pilot 3 on front and Avon Storm on rear. No problemos, never --- runs, rides, corners like it should. I will add that the rear must say 79 REINF for the weight of this flying brick. Good luck and "watch the idiots"
Guitarlos likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in