BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

2001 and 2005 LT Compatibility

868 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  2ndGenBMWRider 
#1 ·
I apologize if there is already a thread on this, but I could not locate it. Can anyone tell me how much of the 2001 LT is compatible with the 2005? I have a 2005 and found a 2001 that I was contemplating purchasing as a parts bike. I know that the dash is not the same, but is there much else that was altered? Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
A few things altered. The front fender of the 01 is smaller than the 05. The 01 does not have a hydraulic center stand. The dash is very different as you mentioned. The stingray is different since the radio display was moved on the 05. I believe the seat is a bit different but I also believe that it fits the 05 but vice versa requires a bit of grinding. The front side panels are a bit different with different badging. The top box of the 01 does not have the K1200LT badge as the 05+ does. On the 01, the K1200LT badges are at the very bottom rear of the side cases.

#3 ·
The 05 the radio is not interchangable with any LT between 1999 and 2004. The engine in 05 went from 100 to 116 HP. The steering geomentry was changed in 05 for easier slow speed maneuvers. And the gearbox was modified.

#4 ·
The 01 has ABS-II brake system and the 05 has wizzy I-ABS with servo assist. The final drive wheel speed sensor on the 01 was moved to the transmission and there is no longer a hole on the 05 FD to support the sensor. I believe it was in 05 where the engine changes to a higher compression with different engine parts and there was a geometry change in the front end.

#5 ·
In addtion to all previous replies, you need to be careful on swapping any major engine components as these parts are also different and will have major effects if combo is wrong:
(1) Engine pistons (higher compression ratio in 2005-2009)
(2) Intake and Exhaust camshafts
(3) Throttle-bodies assy (larger diameter in 2005-2009)
(4) Motronic EFI unit (ECU tuned for above changes in engine)

OF course, because of many other changes (dash , ABS modulator, EHCS...), the main wiring harness is very different in both generations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.