New Product Out for Paralever Bearing Replacement - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 11Likes
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By saddleman
  • 2 Post By Voyager
  • 4 Post By 14wntr
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By Voyager

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Jun 22nd, 2017, 8:23 pm Thread Starter
Wrencher Extraordinaire

New Product Out for Paralever Bearing Replacement

We all know the little needle bearings in the rear drive pivot wear "notchy" in relatively short order. The cost to replace them has continually gone up. My first set were $35 each and now I see they are $92 each

I saw a Kirk video showing the new Emerald Island Paralever Bushing Kit sold by Ted Porter's Beemer Shop.

I just ordered a set and will report on them next week. Here is a link to Ted's Site for the kit.

I had long ago switched to the Rubber Chicken Racing Bushing kit but over 80,000 miles they were showing signs of wear and were coming loose. I am very impressed with this new design and think they are the final answer. Will let you know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PARALEVER BUSHINGS_500x333.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	127858  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Jun 22nd, 2017, 8:38 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: New Product Out for Paralever Bearing Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
We all know the little needle bearings in the rear drive pivot wear "notchy" in relatively short order. The cost to replace them has continually gone up. My first set were $35 each and now I see they are $92 each

I saw a Kirk video showing the new Emerald Island Paralever Bushing Kit sold by Ted Porter's Beemer Shop.

I just ordered a set and will report on them next week. Here is a link to Ted's Site for the kit.

I had long ago switched to the Rubber Chicken Racing Bushing kit but over 80,000 miles they were showing signs of wear and were coming loose. I am very impressed with this new design and think they are the final answer. Will let you know.
Can you describe the load path(s) they use? The factory bearings are tapered as are the JL bushings. This makes sense for a bearing that must transmit both radial and axial loads and need to have zero play. These appear to use cylindrical bushings to transmit the radial loads. I assume they have separate surfaces for the axial loads, correct? Or are they tapered and it just isn't apparent in the pictures?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 Old Jun 23rd, 2017, 6:35 am Thread Starter
Wrencher Extraordinaire

All I have to go by is the photos and Kirk's video. The bearing "races" are not open through but are closed on the inside. The pins get bottomed out so the end of each pin is a load surface as well as the side of each pin. I think it is going to work out well. Plus you can shoot grease into them through a removable fitting.
beech likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #4 of 23 Old Jun 23rd, 2017, 7:36 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
All I have to go by is the photos and Kirk's video. The bearing "races" are not open through but are closed on the inside. The pins get bottomed out so the end of each pin is a load surface as well as the side of each pin. I think it is going to work out well. Plus you can shoot grease into them through a removable fitting.

I hope so also, but I am skeptical for this application. Any wear on the cylindrical surfaces will introduce play that can't be adjusted out. Bottoming the pins addresses axial load, but any radial play will be there always and could cause handling issues, particularly if a resonance condition is excited. These are the things that keep engineers awake at night ... and are why tapered bearings or bushings are almost always used in such applications.

I look forward to your experiences with this alternative.. BMW's prices are now well into the obscene range...

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #5 of 23 Old Jun 23rd, 2017, 8:35 am

Quote:

Looks interesting John. I was lucky to get my last set off Ebay from 2 different sellers for about half the new current cost when I got my spare FD and it was missing one needle cone and the other was already notchy.

Looking forward to your impressions especially in relation to Matt's concerns as I have not replaced the ones on the bike yet. Always looking for that better mouse trap.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #6 of 23 Old Jun 23rd, 2017, 10:23 am

Garage

John/Matt,
Can you describe how worn, notched bearings affect the ride of the bike?
Thanks.

Doug B.
2000 LT purchased July 2013
post #7 of 23 Old Jun 23rd, 2017, 12:58 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvgb131 View Post
John/Matt,
Thanks.
The notched bearings have no effect that I can tell. I just reset the preload now & then.
Patric likes this.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #8 of 23 Old Jun 23rd, 2017, 1:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvgb131 View Post
John/Matt,
Thanks.
The affect should be minimal until they get really bad. At that point the suspension might begin to bind as it moved away from the point where the needle bearing was aligned with the notches in the two races. You would be getting a cam-like action. I doubt it would get this bad, but in an extreme case, the needl rolling out of the grooves could distort the races into an oblong shape the might crack one housing or the other. This is unlikely, but would be the start of a potentially very bad day.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #9 of 23 Old Jun 23rd, 2017, 4:17 pm Thread Starter
Wrencher Extraordinaire

As far as the cylindrical play, the bushings I have would spin on the pins and not the races when they got dry. So I fail to see the difference since I did not loctite the pins to the bushings.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #10 of 23 Old Jun 23rd, 2017, 5:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
As far as the cylindrical play, the bushings I have would spin on the pins and not the races when they got dry. So I fail to see the difference since I did not loctite the pins to the bushings.
I loctited mine to the pins per Tom Cutter's instructions.

The main complaint I have with the JL bushings is that they reused the factory pins rather than design their own with the bushing installed as an interference fit. My one pin was worn as my OEM inner race was turning on the pin also due to the notching of the race transferring torque to the race.

I think the JL approach, if better implemented, would be the ideal solution. Use a custom pin so the bushing can be wider with more bearing surface, use temperature difference during assembly for an interference fit to the pin and install a means for greasing as with the Beemershop solution.

I like most of what I see with that solution, but I believe, assuming it isn't tapered, that it is not the right design for this load condition. The BMW tapered roller bearings would be fine if properly sized. I believe they were sized for a rotating load, not a cyclic load. Time will tell. I hope it works as the price is competitive and the greasing feature is very smart.

As a point of comparison, I just replaced the bearings in my front load washer. The spacing of the bearings is probably 4-5" or fairly close to the paralever bearings. The load has a longer moment arm, probably 14-16" compared to maybe 7-8" on the paralever, but the static load is dramatically lower. I would guess maybe 30 lbs with a full load of wet clothes compared to probably 800 lbs or more on a gross weight LT. The washer probably sees much higher loads when imbalance is factored in, but I doubt the load exceeds 300 lbs. If these guesstimates are even close, that would put similar loads on the bearings, not counting impact loads on the LT which could easily double the 800 lb static load. The difference? The bearings in the washing machine are at least twice the size of the BMW bearings and probably close to 3x the size.

I can't find the size into and I threw away the Nachi boxes, but I think one was 30mm ID and the other 35mm ID. And both bearings and the seal were $75 with free shipping. I believe the BMW bearings are undersized for the LT. Might have been fine on a 500 lb bike, but I suspect still marginal for a cyclic application such as in the paralever. If they were twice as big, I bet we'd not be having this discussion.
Patric and beech like this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #11 of 23 Old Jun 26th, 2017, 6:38 pm

Thank you for mentioning my latest video on the bushings! I too am looking forward to how well they will hold up.

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

post #12 of 23 Old Jun 26th, 2017, 7:53 pm Thread Starter
Wrencher Extraordinaire

It will be a while before I can report on them as they are back ordered until 7/25. I have to have the bike back together by this weekend. Guess I can always install them later.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #13 of 23 Old Aug 15th, 2017, 3:30 pm Thread Starter
Wrencher Extraordinaire

UPDATE! I received the back ordered items and the reason they were back ordered was for an improvement in the product. The design remains the same but the materials have changed. No longer are the threaded parts anodized aluminum, but rather steel. Not sure what steel but it is magnetic. I have yet to install them but will next month.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #14 of 23 Old Aug 15th, 2017, 3:59 pm

Quote:
UPDATE! I received the back ordered items and the reason they were back ordered was for an improvement in the product. The design remains the same but the materials have changed. No longer are the threaded parts anodized aluminum, but rather steel. Not sure what steel but it is magnetic. I have yet to install them but will next month.
That sounds like a significant improvement over being aluminum as far as wear is concerned. Do you think there will be any galvanic reaction between the swing arm aluminum and the steel threaded parts to contend with?

Can't watch the video again from where I am now but I think they were torqued lightly by comparison. Will have to watch it again later tonight to refresh. I may be remembering it wrong as I only watched it once back when you first posted this thread. Wondering if some anti-seize on those threads would be in order?

Thoughts? Do the included instructions mention anything regarding the dissimilar metals?

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #15 of 23 Old Aug 16th, 2017, 9:32 pm Thread Starter
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I don't know where Kirk got the new torque values as there were no instructions from the MFG and nothing on their web site. Also the OEM pins are anodized aluminium so I wonder why Kirk though 80 Ft LBs was OK and not the 118 as per spec?

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #16 of 23 Old Aug 16th, 2017, 10:24 pm

Since there is no preload for a tapered bearing, I would think that 80 Ft LBs and using loctite versus the 118 without would be fine. It should not back out and cause an issue but I too am curious where he got his information.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #17 of 23 Old Aug 17th, 2017, 6:53 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I don't know where Kirk got the new torque values as there were no instructions from the MFG and nothing on their web site. Also the OEM pins are anodized aluminium so I wonder why Kirk though 80 Ft LBs was OK and not the 118 as per spec?
That is somewhat troubling as it suggests there wasn't engineering involvement with this product. No competent engineer would fail to provide torque specs for a life critical fastener.

I had the impression from Kirk's video that he was swagging it. Since the OD is the same and the threads are still fine pitch, I see no reason to deviate from the BMW specs. Unless you use Loctite (see next) in which case you should reduce to account for the lubricity of Loctite. I can't recall if Loctite provides a recommendation, but I have seen 20% commonly recommended for lubricated vs. dry fasteners, but I am not sure if Loctite lubricates nearly as well as motor oil. I would check the Loctite web site.

I share Gordon's concern with galvanic corrosion. That might be another good reason to use Loctite as it provides some corrosion protection.
https://www.zipfastener.com/default/...d-template.jpg

I have to admit that this looks more and more like a half-baked product that had insufficient (no?) engineering analysis and insufficient product testing before release. The radical materials change so quickly after release and the lack of proper installation information suggests that the early customers are the beta (alpha??) testers. That is fine as long as you know that, but usually beta testers get the product for free.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #18 of 23 Old Aug 17th, 2017, 1:58 pm Thread Starter
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You are correct. I am attempting to get a hold of Emerald Island for additional info. They make quite a bit of after market stuff for the older BMWs. I just realized they are in Taiwan so I guess it will be via e-mail. http://www.repro-works.com/about/new_about.htm

Here is Ted Porters link to their products: http://www.beemershop.com/Merchant5/...ode=EI-EMERALD
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #19 of 23 Old Aug 17th, 2017, 4:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
You are correct. I am attempting to get a hold of Emerald Island for additional info. They make quite a bit of after market stuff for the older BMWs. I just realized they are in Taiwan so I guess it will be via e-mail. Welcome to Emerald Island ? About Us

Here is Ted Porters link to their products: BeemerShop: Ei PRODUCTS
Have you called Ted? I found him quite responsive to phone calls and helpful when I bought shocks last year.

A Taiwanese company is nearly immune from a product liability issue in the US so that explains a lot. I do appreciate you and Kirk being a beta testers for the rest of us.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #20 of 23 Old Jul 11th, 2018, 4:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

John, where did you end up with this? I have a squeak in the back of my LT and I suspect it is the bronze final drive pivots getting dry. It has been 18K miles since I last had them apart and greased them. I would like to find a lower maintenance solution and this is about the only other alternative out there.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #21 of 23 Old Jul 11th, 2018, 7:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
John, where did you end up with this? I have a squeak in the back of my LT and I suspect it is the bronze final drive pivots getting dry. It has been 18K miles since I last had them apart and greased them. I would like to find a lower maintenance solution and this is about the only other alternative out there.
Matt,

John will have to answer if he has gotten them installed yet as last I asked, he had not but mine are in. I plan on doing a check up now that I have ridden several K miles by marking the floating pin position and doing a loosen and re-tighten and a squirt of grease in the process and see if there is any appreciable difference. My only thought is if the bushings pressed into the FD were not totally seated which you can not see, they may settle ( or not ) under the stress of riding. So far, I am happy with them and would still recommend them to anyone in place of the currently $102 each needle bearings. Just use lots of heat on the FD as you press in the bushings to make sure they get seated.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #22 of 23 Old Jul 11th, 2018, 7:40 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Matt,

John will have to answer if he has gotten them installed yet as last I asked, he had not but mine are in. I plan on doing a check up now that I have ridden several K miles by marking the floating pin position and doing a loosen and re-tighten and a squirt of grease in the process and see if there is any appreciable difference. My only thought is if the bushings pressed into the FD were not totally seated which you can not see, they may settle ( or not ) under the stress of riding. So far, I am happy with them and would still recommend them to anyone in place of the currently $102 each needle bearings. Just use lots of heat on the FD as you press in the bushings to make sure they get seated.
Great! I am curious to see how they are holding up. How many miles on them? Probably need 20K to get a good feel. My bronze bushings will go about 20K between maintenance. I think they will last forever, but just a pain having to remove the FD every 20K to clean and grease them.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #23 of 23 Old Jul 12th, 2018, 6:37 pm Thread Starter
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I did install mine in the new 2.82 drive I got from Saddleman but I only have a little over 3 K on them but they are still tight.

I have not been back on the ADVRider site but they were all moving away from the bronze unit you have as they were actually shattering on the GS's. There was a guy there making them out of some plastic ( maybe a Delryn variant) of sorts and I never followed up on how they were doing. His design was very close to the Emerald Isle design only with one part plastic.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in