Radio on but no sound - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Nov 25th, 2006, 9:48 pm Thread Starter

Radio on but no sound

Hey Guys I'm new to this whole forum thing. I bought a used 2000 K1200LT about a year ago. Its been a great bike with no problems until about a month ago. After a heavy rain my radio stopped working. The LED display is on, I can tune stations with either the main control panel, or with the handlebar controls. The display even tells me what song is playing, but there is no sound. When I press the mute button "mute" appears on the LED as it is supposed to. I asked my local dealership about this and they told me they had no idea and I should replace the radio with a new one for $720. Since then I have taken the unit apart all the way down to its circuit board with no luck. I have tried the whole thing with the battery cables to reset itself. I've checked all connections. I have read alot of the forum posts about radio issues and I don't know if I want to dish out the money to replace the radio just to have it fail in a year or two. Any suggestions, cause I'm out! I ride 5 days per week at about 100 miles per day, and I'm getting a little board of listening to my MP3 player with earphones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Nov 25th, 2006, 10:08 pm

Just a quick thought (you've prolly already thought of it!). Try one of the salvage vending sites and see if you can pick up a used radio from their inventory of parts. Beemerboneyard, or Deep6auctions, or maybe eBay.
post #3 of 7 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 6:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootermac
Any suggestions, cause I'm out!
OK you've probably already done this, and it's already gotten a fair amount of traffic the last week or so... but have you also checked the lone fuse on the back of the radio?

Also, I know you've probably had the stingray & radio box apart too many times to tell now, but were you able to thoroughly check the 'environmental seal' of the radio compartment the first time you disassembled it? Not that it will help you fix the problem, but it would be a big smoking gun if, say, the rubber o-ring tucked into the groove around the radio box was missing.

Dave

'03 K1200LT-C Dark Graphite
'96 Triumph Sprint 900 British Racing Green (traded)
'95 Yamaha Virago 750 Pearl/Black (sold)

post #4 of 7 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 9:05 am

also check the speakers on/off mode

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 10:56 am
Lifetime Supporter

That the radio stopped after a rain storm may indicate the problem is in the
CONTROL ELEMENT (part number 65142306970) rather than the radio itself. Water has been know to leak into the control element through the seals around the buttons. I just had my control element replaced with a used one after the fader function failed, leading me to speculate a defective unit could be the failure point for no sound. The used replacement was $55 from the dealer in Tucson.

I had my control unit fail completely this summer after a rain, and got it to partially work by opening it up and cleaning and greasing the internals with a Q-tip and contact cleaner and dielectric grease.

Motor On ,/'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 1:04 pm Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I'll try the suggestions this week. Keep you posted!
post #7 of 7 Old May 28th, 2007, 6:33 pm

Did you ever find out the problem? I have the same problem with my radio. Did you have to purchase a nother radio or what?

Wendell

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in