Incredibly Grabby Servo's - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Nov 25th, 2006, 6:29 pm Thread Starter

Incredibly Grabby Servo's

On Thanksgiving morning I took an early morning quick ride from my home in south suburban Denver up the canyon from Morrison to Evergreen, Colorado. Just a nice little ride for a coffee before getting together with family for the big meal.

I have only had my LT for a few weeks and I have been getting more comfortable with the machine. This particular morning I was really into a spirited ride through the canyon twists (there was little or no traffic). I came around a blind corner at the LT's max lean angle (significantly over the posted limit) and there were two of Jefferson County's finest side by side in their squads parked on the pull-out.

Instictively, I put my foot into the brake and BOOM, the servo's really kicked in, very abruptly (fortunately, the rear didn't lock). I have had several other BMW's with servo brakes but the LT rear really hit hard. Now, I have noticed that the rear binders on the LT are really strong in order to halt the heavy beast (compared to some of the others I have owned, where the rear brake is largely ineffectual). Is this normal?

Oh, the LEO's... they were just BS'n and didn't even notice me.

Mike M

2007 K1200GT Dark Graphite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Nov 25th, 2006, 7:23 pm

Mike:

I assume that when you said the servos kicked in you mean that the ABS activated. You said you were running fast and at max lean angle. You didn't say that you straightened up the bike before you braked hard. My guess is that you got into the brakes pretty good either while still in the lean or not all the way out of it. Thank yourself for buying a bike with ABS, with conventional brakes you probably would have been down quicker than my sister on a blind date! At least you would have had a speedy response from the LEOs to the accident scene!! Dick
post #3 of 5 Old Nov 25th, 2006, 9:06 pm

You have linked brakes and the powerful grab you felt was both ends biting.

Lucky boy! I think I would've risked a ticket rather than tromping the brakes while leaned over. Nasty stuff can happen quickly, though one of the beauty thang's about the LT is the amazing stability. Good, good thang you weren't in one of Colorado's famous tar snake corners.

Now the big question: Why did you nail the rear brake?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 9:59 am
Lifetime Supporter

Grabby or Effective?

Mike, I haven't had the LT very long but the brakes are one of the stronger (pun intended) points on the machine. They helped us avoid three accidents on the trip to Colorado last Summer. My limited experience says that where the grabby part comes in is at low speeds in the parking lot when you touch the front brake. At least on our LT, when you touch the front brake lever, the front calipers grab and release instantaneously, thereby activating the auto park function. But at speed, the ABS works flawlessly and will give you very effective and controlled stopping power. Chuck
post #5 of 5 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 11:50 am
Bandit

i used to be put off by the K's servo brakes ... but now that i've become used to 'em, i think they're great. the only problem is when i jump on other bikes, THEIR brakes feel inferior.

my advice: give yourself some time to get used to 'em. they truly are great, IMHO.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in