Radio Panel Problems.... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Nov 25th, 2006, 6:23 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy Radio Panel Problems....

Bike has been garaged since '03 birth...only wet during rides and occasional washes. Today while setting stations on AM, I decided to start the bike and bingo...it all went blank. Blank as in nada!

Dealer said I shouldn't have started the bike with radio on! Can you imagin saying something like that?

So now it appear as another $500+ is going down the toilet due to the over-engineering of the turds in the Fatherland!.

BMW - Bring More Wompum! Turds all. . .gawd, what a disappointment!!

Next bike won't have the electronic crap...possible my remote XM portable will be hooked up so I can listen to the Cowboy games (America's team)during the Funday rides.

Anyone have experience with this type problem??

Thanks, HT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Nov 25th, 2006, 7:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleeetom
Bike has been garaged since '03 birth...only wet during rides and occasional washes. Today while setting stations on AM, I decided to start the bike and bingo...it all went blank. Blank as in nada!

Dealer said I shouldn't have started the bike with radio on! Can you imagin saying something like that?

So now it appear as another $500+ is going down the toilet due to the over-engineering of the turds in the Fatherland!.

BMW - Bring More Wompum! Turds all. . .gawd, what a disappointment!!

Next bike won't have the electronic crap...possible my remote XM portable will be hooked up so I can listen to the Cowboy games (America's team)during the Funday rides.

Anyone have experience with this type problem??

Thanks, HT
HT - I've never heard that one. Fact, I think I've done just that a coupla times. At any rate, before you shell out some bucks - and I assume you're saying the radio display went blank, not the whole dash; and the bike DID start? - I'd disconnect the battery for about an hour or three, then re-connect and see if the radio is re-born. Seems that has been a cure for some folks who were experiencing weird problems related to the radio. HTH.

Edit: forgot; after you reconnect the battery, and before you start the bike - turn on the ignition; twist the throttle grip to wide open and let it snap back (do that twice); then start the bike and ride around the block or so and let the Motronic relearn the throttle settings; then try the radio and see if the problem is gone.

Last edited by Dick; Nov 25th, 2006 at 7:25 pm. Reason: forgot sumpthin'.
post #3 of 8 Old Nov 25th, 2006, 11:00 pm

And in addition to what Dick suggested:

Make sure to check the fuses. IIRC there is one under the seat in one of the fuse boxes and another on the back of the radio unit under the stingray. (Seems that the sound system has multiple power feeds.) Not sure as to which fuse box, but sure someone will jump in.

HTH (True to my sig line!)

Duane

Check the obvious first!
01 LT Champagne "The Starship"
73 Z1 Kawi
and 7 long gone

post #4 of 8 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 12:31 am

Poppy Squat - I can count on one hand the number of times I've started my '02 without the radio turned on. It's *always* on!

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 5:04 am

Radio can get hung on engine start

Believe it or not, this happened to me twice. Both times, disconnecting the battery for 1/2 hour or so fixed the problem. I asked the service guy at my local dealer about this, and he said (no lie) that the radio can get hung on startup if it is on at that time. He recommended that I turn off the radio after shutting down, and waiting until the engine is started to turn on the radio. I did get into the habit of turning off the radio and turning on only after the engine is started. 2 yrs and no more problems.

OB

Bob OB
Sedona, AZ

'08 R1200RT Sand Beige Metallic
post #6 of 8 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 10:03 am Thread Starter

Wink Radio Panel Problem...SOLVED

Thanks to all for the responses on this unique if not strange phenomenon!

Before posting original 'cry for help'...I did disconnect the battery for about 5 minutes without postive results. So after reading Dick's suggestions, the plan was disconnect for 1-3 hours at conclusion of yesterday's Polar Bear central New Jersey ride and hope for the best.

Long and 'short' (no pun intended)...once disconnected I decided to hold the hot line to the post for one last try before going inside for the night.

Bingo...the original station starting playing as if nothing happened. All presets were working so I folded up the tent, reset the clock, reset the throttle as suggested and went to bed.

Thanks again...Tom Spader #119635

K12LT
R11RT
'Busa
post #7 of 8 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 10:06 am

MY 02 Raidio and XM always on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
Poppy Squat - I can count on one hand the number of times I've started my '02 without the radio turned on. It's *always* on!
Me Too Everytime.
Can you turn the radio off ?

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."
post #8 of 8 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 10:14 am

Dang Rich - should we start knocking on wood or something?

Mmm, wonder if I can get a wooden cup holder......

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in