Two sided tape - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Nov 25th, 2006, 5:37 pm Thread Starter

Two sided tape

My crome strip on the right saddle bag keeps coming loose and I keep pushing it back on. I have tried the auto zone tape but it does not hold well. I had to remove the strip to do a repair (not to the plastic). Now can not find a tape that holds well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Nov 25th, 2006, 5:47 pm

Did you remove all the old tape residue? When I do and install like this I use some rubbing alcohol to clean up the plastic before tape install. Molded plastic pieces need a release agent to keep from sticking to the molds when manufactured.

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34 14 12.63 N
119 01 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.
post #3 of 13 Old Nov 25th, 2006, 5:47 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

3M make a few. They come in narrow or wide strips. Lowe's or Home Depot.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy

post #4 of 13 Old Nov 25th, 2006, 5:56 pm

Gorilla Snot???? Try This!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltride
My crome strip on the right saddle bag keeps coming loose and I keep pushing it back on. I have tried the auto zone tape but it does not hold well. I had to remove the strip to do a repair (not to the plastic). Now can not find a tape that holds well.

You might try 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive (otherwise know as "Gorilla Snot")! Follow the instructions on the tube and just be careful...'cause you will find out how it earned its name! Don't use too much or it will squeeze out around the sides. This stuff works!!!!!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 13 Old Nov 25th, 2006, 6:08 pm

Quote:
You specifically need the "exterior" rated 3M tape - it is grey and has a red backing. Clean both mounting surfaces with alcohol first and make sure you apply the tape when it is warm - 70F or better. You'll need to cut it into some thin strips and place some near the top and bottom of the piece you are going to attach, less is best. Insert the back of the trim into the notch at the rear of the saddle bag, then press the rest of it along to the front. Push HARD.

If it is colder than 70 the visco foam backing does not compress very well to irregularities or curves, and the glue does not stick. A hair dryer works great to get both surfaces warmed up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tape.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	8362   Click image for larger version

Name:	tape ext.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	8363  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Nov 25th, 2006 at 6:37 pm.
post #6 of 13 Old Nov 25th, 2006, 6:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
You might try 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive (otherwise know as "Gorilla Snot")! Follow the instructions on the tube and just be careful...'cause you will find out how it earned its name! Don't use too much or it will squeeze out around the sides. This stuff works!!!!!
Awesome stuff on rubber weather stripping, but unfortunately it won't work for plastic on plastic.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #7 of 13 Old Nov 25th, 2006, 6:55 pm

I second the stuff RonKMiller recommends. It holds my computer speakers to the side of my monitor. Also used it to hold my decorative license plate frame to the rear door of my car to stop the annoying rattle every time I closed the door. I got mine at WalMart.
post #8 of 13 Old Nov 25th, 2006, 9:51 pm
Super Moderator

Cool 3M Tape more than adequate

Worked on a project 15 years ago with 3M and is was the preferred method to attach truck bodies to frames for industrial box vans and trucks. Outperformed welding, bolting, screwing and riveting in fatigue, rust, mechanical and environmental tests in overall ownership and fleet maintenance.

So all you need to do is find the right stuff, provide for proper surface preparation and apply it correctly - will most likely meet all your requirements.

Most body shops and 3M tape distributors can help. But since you need so little the red backed tape mentioned should do the trick - it is just one of the commercial grades you can try out . . .

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #9 of 13 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 7:12 am

Cool It's in the tape!!

Quote:
I have tried the auto zone tape but it does not hold well. I had to remove the strip to do a repair (not to the plastic). Now can not find a tape that holds well.
Like Ron said, you need the right stuff. 3M makes Automotive Attachment Tape, which is what we often use at H-D to put medallions on fuel tanks. Make sure surfaces are cleaned (with alcohol) and warm.

There are many varieties of 3M's Automotive Attachment tape - the gray stuff (0.030" thick), white (0.045" thick, stronger than gray), and two blacks (0.045" and 0.060" thick, the strongest of all double-stick tapes on Earth). You can find 3M's product info here and here, and you can buy some of the stuff at Amazon here. I would go with this stuff.

Dave

'03 K1200LT-C Dark Graphite
'96 Triumph Sprint 900 British Racing Green (traded)
'95 Yamaha Virago 750 Pearl/Black (sold)
post #10 of 13 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 5:31 pm

Another vote for the 3M exterior tape, grey with red backing. It works great on everything I've used it for so far. Echoing what RonKMiller said, just be sure that you clean both surfaces VERY well and make sure that the tape and the material to be adhered are warm (70F -ish).

Fair warning, though. You have to be really careful with this stuff. My wife used a oiece of this tape and now I can't get her off my back

Tony
post #11 of 13 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 7:09 am
cws

Garage
Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
Fair warning, though. You have to be really careful with this stuff. My wife used a oiece of this tape and now I can't get her off my back

Tony
1 vote for quote of the month.....

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #12 of 13 Old Nov 30th, 2006, 11:53 am Thread Starter

Thanks to Ron and all for the info and help. I will diffidently keep this away from my wife.
post #13 of 13 Old Nov 30th, 2006, 12:06 pm
Gold Supporter

Garage
3M Helps

Being a 3M'er, I'm often asked about one of the 85,000 products 3M makes. I always refer folks to a great source. call 1-800 3M helps (800-364-3577). There you will talk to a live body and they can help you find a source for what you are looking for.

2005 K1200 LT "Graphite Graydude Metallic"

Todd "Graydude" Ask me why I'm the best Realtor you've ever met!

IBA#22266

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in