Headlight problem. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Nov 25th, 2006, 10:15 am Thread Starter

Headlight question.

I did a search, but couldn't find anything on this.

I've got a 2003 K1200LT that I bought used a couple of months ago. The headlights are nowhere near as bright and don't seem to be aimed as far down the road, as the ones on my Yamaha Majesty scooter I had before this. I don't even get lights blinked at me at night, when I'm on hi-beam. All the bulbs work.

There is this little gizmo on the dash that is supposed to adjust the light depending or rather you're carrying a passenger. All it does is spins freely. I understand that this is supposed to adjust the lights for passenger/no passeenger. I assmue you lower the light when carrying a passenger, since the weight on the back would raise the front of the bike.

Any way to tell what position the light is in by looking at it? Any way to raise it or to fix the gizmo (which I figure is broken.) that is supposed to raise them?

Last edited by CajunBass; Nov 25th, 2006 at 10:34 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Nov 25th, 2006, 10:33 am

The adjusting cable is either loose or broken, as the knob should not spin freely as you describe.
The bummer is that you need to take a bit of tupperware off before you can get to either end of the cable if you need to replace it or find what is wrong with it.
Also there are 2 adjusting screws, one for horizontal and the other for vertical adjustment, in the headlight assembly. You may want to start with these first as the knob is more for fine tuning. You should be able to get to those without disassembly, it is just a bit tricky.
I'll try to attach a headlight assembly part fiche when I have a moment...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old Nov 25th, 2006, 10:41 am

The knob turns a cable that is routed to the throttle side of the headlight housing under the noseone. It turns a lever that will alter the aiming of the headlight. It is possible that the cable is not connected or the knob is stripped. Regardless, it is possible to access the mechanism on the headlight. There is an adjustment screw (Phillips) directly below the lever that is used normally to fix the aim with the adjustment knob . If you're able to reach it, turning the screw LEFT raises the light, Right lowers it.

HTH,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	adjuster.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	8360  

Brett

Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'!

2003 BMW K1200LTC "El Gato Grande"
1993 Suzuki GSXR1100W
1978 Suzuki GS1000C 'Project'

Last edited by Shogun54; Nov 25th, 2006 at 10:52 am.

post #4 of 15 Old Nov 25th, 2006, 10:46 am

Lightbulb I forgot...

to state the obvious (at least for those who dunnit)... The best way to cure the poor lighting on the LT is a low beam HID kit, and since you may have to take the nose cone off (if your adjustment cable is broken or loose) you might as well install one. There many threads on HID and a few nice write-ups with photos to help you.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old Nov 25th, 2006, 1:59 pm

May be nothin' at al

Before you get too far down the road...

When I first bought my used 2003 LTC, I also thought the headlight knob was turning freely. I kept turning, and turning, and turning, and turning... and then finally it stopped! It just has like 429 revolutions from stop to stop.

Also be VERY careful in that you can quite easily over-torque the knob at the end of its travel, and then it will really be spinning freely! (Or just break off in your hand)

To verify whether anything's actually going on or not, go out into your driveway at night, close the garage door & shine the headlight on it from about 20 feet away, and start turning the knob. You will see very, very gradual movement of the top cutoff of the pattern against your garage door (hopefully).

I ride with mine all the way down.

And, oh yeah. Go get an HID setup!

Dave

'03 K1200LT-C Dark Graphite
'96 Triumph Sprint 900 British Racing Green (traded)
'95 Yamaha Virago 750 Pearl/Black (sold)
post #6 of 15 Old Nov 25th, 2006, 2:35 pm Thread Starter

Thanks everybody, especially you Dave. I'll have to keep turning mine. There isn't much resistance, but it might be what you say. I was expecting a short click one way, then the other.

I'll keep y'all posted.
post #7 of 15 Old Nov 25th, 2006, 2:56 pm

I'm gonna hafta go along with "Zippy" on this one,
you may have an adjustment cable issue,
but repairing that is not going to solve your inadequate light problem,
the LT has by far the worst stock headlight of any motorcycle I have ever had.
Forum members have tried every possible thing you can imagine to add more lighting to these bikes,
but the bottom line is nothing, absolutely nothing will improve your lighting more than an HID headlight conversion.
Their prices have come way down to $111.
you don't have to take my word for it do a search for HID, you want the H7 5000
it's worth every penny.

http://cqlight.ca/index.php?cPath=32_45

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #8 of 15 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 4:14 am Thread Starter

Thanks Dave. You were right. I fooled with it last night, and turned it a few dozen times, and it came up.

I'll have to check out some extra lighting. The ones on my Majesty would light up the road like daybreak. I'm really disapointed in the ones on the Beemer. (That's about the only thing.)
post #9 of 15 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 6:44 am

Yippeee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBass
Thanks Dave. You were right. I fooled with it last night, and turned it a few dozen times, and it came up.

I'll have to check out some extra lighting. The ones on my Majesty would light up the road like daybreak. I'm really disapointed in the ones on the Beemer. (That's about the only thing.)
Glad it was the quick fix! Like Zippy said, this knob is the "fine" adjustment - if you had to turn it all the way to the opposite end of travel just to get it to peek up into the 'normal' range, at some point you may want to pull the nose cone and make the macro adjustments using the adjusting screw(s).

Everyone's right - you will be just as impressed (if not more) with a new HID low beam as you are disappointed with the stock halogen low beam. SilverBuffalo recommended the 5000K H7 from cqlight.ca - you can also go to hid-online.com and get a 4100K H7. When you do your forum and HoW search for HID, you'll find ('specially from David Shealey) that the lower the HID color temperature, the better, where 5000K is about as high (higher=bluer) as you wanna go, and lower (4100K for example) provides whiter, more effective light.

The job involves a nose cone pull, a small amount of drilling & filing plastic, a probable glue-up of a small block to create a level shelf on top of the headlight housing, and some basic electrical wiring with relays. By no means rocket science, and a good Saturday project if you're by yourself, you've never pulled the Tupperware before, and you want to work at a methodical pace. Better yet - look for a tech session in your area, and you're bound to find one where others are doing it and others have done it before.

Dave

'03 K1200LT-C Dark Graphite
'96 Triumph Sprint 900 British Racing Green (traded)
'95 Yamaha Virago 750 Pearl/Black (sold)
post #10 of 15 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 7:15 am Thread Starter

Wow. What a difference. I rode to work this morning and instead of the headlights pointing at the ground in front of me, they were actually pointing down the road. I could SEE! Wooo Hoooo!

Totally off topic, but I also got the bike on and off the center-stand without dropping it. Another first.
post #11 of 15 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 6:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBass
Totally off topic, but I also got the bike on and off the center-stand without dropping it. Another first.
Standing to the side or astride it?

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #12 of 15 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 7:12 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
I would suggest to the side to put the bike ON the center stand, and astride or to the side to take it OFF the center stand. I wouldn't even venture to try putting it on the center stand while astride!!! Way too awkward!
I would also suggest riding while astride... but it's just my opinion.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #13 of 15 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 8:03 pm

Gilles,

I was asking Wayne because of a discussion we had here in another thread. I was checking to see if had taken my advice. I always come off the centerstand astride the bike.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #14 of 15 Old Nov 28th, 2006, 9:03 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Astride it Steve. I'm not going "by the book" anymore on that.
post #15 of 15 Old Nov 28th, 2006, 12:16 pm

Talking

Quote:
Gilles,

I was asking Wayne because of a discussion we had here in another thread. I was checking to see if had taken my advice. I always come off the centerstand astride the bike.
Yes Steve, I remember that thread... I just could not resist being my silly self.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in