So, I've had the flashing ABS warning sequence intermittently for the last few weeks. Since I'm basically lazy, I decided to think about it rather than just jump right in.
1. Same warning light sequence as low brake fluid in rear reservoir. Fluid level is fine;checked multiple times and refilled for good measure. Checked the front as well: OK.
2. Happens during the initial ride segment of the day. Key off reset and restart (sometimes several ) clears it. Brakes still work but ABS does not kick in if lights are flashing, as I would expect...unless I have a complete pump failure.
3. Very rarely happens on subsequent ride segments, i.e. ride to lunch with warning lights, stop for lunch, restart bike...no warning lights.
4. Actually happens more often if bike has been connected to battery tender overnight than not, which seems to me to probably eliminate the battery charge as cause.
5. Warning lights start flashing on the second (!!??) stop of the day. Ride to end of alley, stop normally...no lights. Turn and proceed 2 blocks to main intersection and stop... warning lights begin immediatly after I come to a complete halt. Max alley speed...20 mph; to intersection...40 mph. Hmmm, speed related? Speedo itself is solid as a rock, so the intermittent wire break doesn't seem to be at the top of my list.
Therefore I am leaning toward a dirty sensor or bad gap. Looked in my CD brake manual which states in several places " clean ABS sensor before installation", but I can find no method or recommendation on how exactly to perform the cleaning. The sensors themselves look to be sealed, or am I missing something? And how does one clean one of these sensors correctly?
Of couse, if my diagnosis is completely off base, I am open to suggestion.