HID bulb - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By fpmlt
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jun 12th, 2017, 2:07 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
fpmlt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,175
HID bulb

Anybody recognize this bulb? It's attached to a Philips ballast, says it's a D2s/D2r 35W, but when I try to locate anything like it, the base, where it sits in the headlight housing, is different.
Know where I can find a replacement? If not, I'll likely go LED and yank the ballast out.
Thanks in advance.
Frank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0495.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	491.2 KB
ID:	127233  
fpmlt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old Jun 12th, 2017, 2:15 pm
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Marion Junction Alabama
Posts: 57
Re: HID bulb

Sorry, I have no clue. I just received my LED light for the low beam and I will be replacing the HID I installed a year or two ago.
dvpadgett is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old Jun 12th, 2017, 5:15 pm
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: England
Posts: 50
peterj is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 Old Jun 12th, 2017, 5:20 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire
 
jzeiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hazel Green, AL, USA
Posts: 13,134
Re: HID bulb

Usually the HID bulbs do not go bad after all they are are an arc globe (that is why you can't find them at auto parts stores). Unless it is broken (physically) the likely culprit is the ballast or the wiring to the ballast (check fuses). Phillips is one of the more reliable brands.
tvguy and Axle like this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jzeiler is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old Jun 13th, 2017, 12:39 am
Senior Member
 
Gino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Modesto, CA, USA
Posts: 969
Garage
Re: HID bulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvpadgett View Post
Sorry, I have no clue. I just received my LED light for the low beam and I will be replacing the HID I installed a year or two ago.
Hmmm.... Doesn't look like a Phillips D2s or D2r - seems to be standard HID bulb you find in most of the kits around... Unless it's just the bulb designation with a permanently attached base and cables... (?)

Looking to replace mine as well as ballasts are failing - curious what you purchased?

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush

Last edited by Gino; Jun 13th, 2017 at 12:48 am.
Gino is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old Jun 15th, 2017, 5:26 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
fpmlt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,175
Re: HID bulb

No luck finding a bulb and didn't feel like screwing around with another ballast, so went this route: Superbrightled.com pictured

Easy install and seems as bright as the HID. Haven't tried it at night yet, and no idea about longevity. If you go this route, remember that this bulb is polarity sensitive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	timthumb.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	127434  
fpmlt is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old Jun 15th, 2017, 7:55 pm
Senior Member
 
mtrevelino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Williamsburg, VA, USA
Posts: 2,528
Re: HID bulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt View Post
No luck finding a bulb and didn't feel like screwing around with another ballast, so went this route: Superbrightled.com pictured

Easy install and seems as bright as the HID. Haven't tried it at night yet, and no idea about longevity. If you go this route, remember that this bulb is polarity sensitive.
Does that have a internal fan? If so, does your radio work? I ask because the internal fan will turn your radio into a white sound machine.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mtrevelino is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old Jun 17th, 2017, 2:45 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
fpmlt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,175
Re: HID bulb

Mike, on this particular bulb there is no fan, just a very large heatsink. Really no idea how it affects the radio as I've not listened to it in years. Prefer the wind and motor noise.
mtrevelino likes this.
fpmlt is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old Nov 22nd, 2017, 10:24 pm
Senior Member
 
trussell's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Cameron Park, CA, USA
Posts: 138
Re: HID bulb

Any update on your satisfaction with the HID bulb?
I'm looking at an HID bulb for low beam and LED for high
trussell is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old Nov 22nd, 2017, 10:28 pm
Senior Member
 
trussell's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Cameron Park, CA, USA
Posts: 138
Re: HID bulb

Why have you chosen to replace the HID did it fail?
How happy are you with the LED?
I'm trying to figure out what to do
Thanks
trussell is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old Nov 23rd, 2017, 12:34 am
Gold Supporter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Kent, WA, USA
Posts: 124
Re: HID bulb

In the early Winter of 2006 I purchased low and high beam HID from HID ONLINE out of the UK. I have a 2005 LT. The low beam is H7 and the high beam is H9. I've never had an issue with the H7 and rarely use the H9 because it, along with the low beam H7 is just overpowering to oncoming motorists even with appropriate aiming of each headlight. For me, the high beam H9 has been pretty much a waste of $ except when riding at night through forests. In that situation, they really light up the area ahead! If there was any installation concern, it was that the ballasts were good-sized but still suitable for installation inside the nose cone.

HID ONLINE took the HID system for Mercedes, the first vehicle to incorporate HID Xenon lighting, and redesigned the ballast for more durability on motorcycles. Finally, the H7 operates at 4100 degrees Kelvin and the H9 at 4300 degrees Kelvin...both very white. Through the years I have seen the size of the ballasts shrink in size and operating temps rise.
Just remember, getting up to 4400+ degrees Kelvin introduces blue wavelength which is the first wavelength which irritates oncoming motorists' vision. Much higher in op temp and purple/violet is introduced which some of the lame, young cage drivers think is really cool.
TSQUARED is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old Dec 10th, 2017, 8:20 am
Junior Member
 
nc1go's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSQUARED View Post
In the early Winter of 2006 I purchased low and high beam HID from HID ONLINE out of the UK. I have a 2005 LT. The low beam is H7 and the high beam is H9. I've never had an issue with the H7 and rarely use the H9 because it, along with the low beam H7 is just overpowering to oncoming motorists even with appropriate aiming of each headlight. For me, the high beam H9 has been pretty much a waste of $ except when riding at night through forests. In that situation, they really light up the area ahead! If there was any installation concern, it was that the ballasts were good-sized but still suitable for installation inside the nose cone.

HID ONLINE took the HID system for Mercedes, the first vehicle to incorporate HID Xenon lighting, and redesigned the ballast for more durability on motorcycles. Finally, the H7 operates at 4100 degrees Kelvin and the H9 at 4300 degrees Kelvin...both very white. Through the years I have seen the size of the ballasts shrink in size and operating temps rise.
Just remember, getting up to 4400+ degrees Kelvin introduces blue wavelength which is the first wavelength which irritates oncoming motorists' vision. Much higher in op temp and purple/violet is introduced which some of the lame, young cage drivers think is really cool.

I have a 05 LT original headlights but have piaa. Well one is out and I want LED conversion. Any suggestions please.
nc1go is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old Dec 10th, 2017, 1:28 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
fpmlt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,175
Re: HID bulb

Trussell, I apologize for not getting back to you. Don't visit here all that often. Yes, I'm pleased with the light, but only time will tell if it's going to last. And yes, I did change from HID because of a failure and just didn't want to screw with it. As is stated here too, aux driving lights are what I really depend on for night riding. All I run are (I hope I'm remembering this right) FF550s. They work well enough that I'm usually the guy that gets put out front at night.
fpmlt is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My H3 HID highbeam install - 2002 K1200LT brouhaha Australia, New Zealand, and AsiaPac 7 Jul 2nd, 2015 3:37 am
HID bulb spacer BecketMa K1200LT 0 May 18th, 2014 8:22 pm
4300K VS 5000K HID Color Temperature Comparison XenonDepot Lighting 4 May 8th, 2014 8:14 am
HID bulb replacement needed JohnR K1200LT 3 Apr 4th, 2006 10:52 am

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome