'05 IABS reset - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By wrightwaay
  • 1 Post By ALL4BMW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Jun 7th, 2017, 6:07 pm Thread Starter

'05 IABS reset

Is there a "soft" reset procedure for the IABS system on the 2005 K1200LT? I just finished flushing the ABS system, clutch and bled all brakes as well as new pads all the way around. The ABS failure lamp and the "triangle" now continuously alternate flashing. Never had this problem before. The fluid I removed was not all that bad (I change every year or two). The system cycles on start-up and servos engage but then continues flashing after moving. I also replaced the battery (overdue). The bike has plenty of braking but worries me with the fault codes indicators flashing. I still have to check the ABS status on a hard packed gravel road but as I said there is plenty of whoa power. The brake light is not lit nor are there any fluid leaks with all reservoirs at full capacity. I did, however, break one of the plastic caps on the ABS unit itself (I believe the front reservoir) but repaired it with a little JB Weld and it appears fine. Can anyone give me some direction? I would prefer to do a "soft" reset like I've read about the pre-2000 bikes before I have to purchase a GS-911 diagnostic tool.
BTW: I live in New York State's Hudson Valley. Thanks to all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Jun 7th, 2017, 6:24 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: '05 IABS reset

There is no soft or hard "reset" on the iABS 2001 -2009. The only way to stop the flashing lights is to fix the problem what ever it is. Once that is done the unit will self reset. You need a GS-911 unit or dealer to tell you the fault code. Now if you are having a "wig-wag" flashing of these lights then the fluid level is low in one or more of the two reservoirs on the ABS unit or the sensor connector has come loose. Top them both off and check the connectors on the sensors.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old Jun 7th, 2017, 6:44 pm Thread Starter

I don't want to sound stupid but exactly what is the "wig-wag" scenario that you are talking about?

post #4 of 20 Old Jun 7th, 2017, 7:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightwaay View Post
I don't want to sound stupid but exactly what is the "wig-wag" scenario that you are talking about?
Not stupid if you had not come across that term before. Wig Wag simply means the lights are alternating rather than the normal flashing together at key on until you move a few meters and the system can verify both wheels are properly sensed. If they are alternating, it indicates a fault that needs addressing as jzeller said.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 Old Jun 7th, 2017, 8:04 pm Thread Starter

Thanks to both of you, it looks like I am in the market for a GS-911. Any suggestions about where to purchase?
post #6 of 20 Old Jun 7th, 2017, 8:40 pm

Quote:
Thanks to both of you, it looks like I am in the market for a GS-911. Any suggestions about where to purchase?
If you feel you need one, here is the link to the site but they are a little pricey. They occasionally do come up for resale but I don't see them often. The LT does not have any service reminders so the red WiFi version is not required but if you plan on sticking with BMW and move to a newer model that has them, you would need the red WiFi model to reset those reminders so that might be a consideration on what you would buy. It was for me. The enthusiast versions have 10 VIN slots and to reset reminders uses up one slot per bike so if you do find a used one, verify how many slots are available. The LT will not use a slot for anything so if you found one with no available slots, it would still be 100% effective for the LT and mostly for newer bikes and they can be upgraded to the pro version for a non-trivial fee. You might also see if there are any folks near by with one who will hook up and check out the system. There are some cheap Chinese knock offs that everyone says to stay away from.

The Home of GS-911 ? HEX Code

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #7 of 20 Old Jun 7th, 2017, 8:56 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Once again if they are blinking alternately then the only issue is low fluid so no GS-911 is needed for this diagnostic. Add fluid and check the connectors.

The drawing depicts the fluid level - go ahead and fill to the top of the white filter screen. Also the two electrical connectors are shown (without the plugs connected).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Reservoir.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	127073  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #8 of 20 Old Jun 7th, 2017, 9:35 pm Thread Starter

Thanks again all. The fluid levels are at maximum (both front and rear reservoir on ABS unit and rear brake under seat as well as front handlebar). For some reason I cannot open thumbnail photos you sent. Maybe because I only have 7 posts? Would you be able to email to [email protected]
Thanks
post #9 of 20 Old Jun 7th, 2017, 10:30 pm

Quote:
Thanks again all. The fluid levels are at maximum (both front and rear reservoir on ABS unit and rear brake under seat as well as front handlebar). For some reason I cannot open thumbnail photos you sent. Maybe because I only have 7 posts? Would you be able to email to [email protected]
Thanks
Lets see if you can see this. As John said, check the sensor wire connectors if everything is full.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachme...-reservoir.jpg

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #10 of 20 Old Jun 10th, 2017, 8:37 pm Thread Starter

OK so here is the latest. All brake fluid reservoirs are up to capacity (two on ABS unit, front brake on handlebar and rear brake under seat). Disconnected both ABS sensors on ABS unit and cleaned with non-solvent electrical cleaner then let dry and reconnected. Still have wig-wag ABS/triangle warning lights. So the next step was to re-flush the ABS system and bleed all lines and brakes a second time. But prior to doing so I disconnected the cap on the electrical box attached to the rear of the ABS unit (as I had done before to gain access to the bleeders). Upon doing so I noticed that the farthest back right side pin connector on the base was bent at a right angle halfway up. I THOUGHT THAT I HAD FOUND THE PROBLEM........NOPE. I managed to reasonably straighten the pin with small needlenose and a screwdriver and re-attach the cover and when I again removed it the pin was still vertical so it appears that it had seated in the receptacle. Took the bike for a ride and the wig-wag continues so I am going to flush all lines again and bleed as well as remove and re-install the brake pads again as well as disconnect the battery and reconnect. If still indicating an issue does anyone have any additional magic up their sleeves. I'm going to Sturgis the first week in August with my son and need the bike "right" by then. As always, I appreciate all the assistance and feedback from everyone. I'll keep you posted.
post #11 of 20 Old Jun 12th, 2017, 5:27 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Here is the warning table from the riders manual for trouble shooting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Warning Table.PNG
Views:	255
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	127273  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #12 of 20 Old Jul 22nd, 2017, 6:11 pm Thread Starter

Just wanted to say thanks to BMWCOOLK1200 and jzeiler for all their help with my ABS issue. The problem is fixed and I'm ready for Sturgis. What a great resource you guys have been.
saddleman likes this.
post #13 of 20 Old Jul 22nd, 2017, 7:28 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Just wanted to say thanks to BMWCOOLK1200 and jzeiler for all their help with my ABS issue. The problem is fixed and I'm ready for Sturgis. What a great resource you guys have been.
What was the fix?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #14 of 20 Old Jul 22nd, 2017, 9:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
What was the fix?
The fix was in his other thread.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...s-coupler.html

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #15 of 20 Old Aug 24th, 2017, 8:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Hello All! So I am reading the posts, and have noticed that the alternate flashing could be low fluid. I have a 99 LT, and this alternate flashing happened after the bike set for 4 weeks without riding, the battery was completely dead, in needed of replacement, and 3 weeks after I purchased the new battery I got it installed. I have not checked the fluids, in fact not even sure where the ABS one is located (I know, what a shame), and heard that the rear brake reservoir sits under the seat. Assuming the front break reservoir is on the right side of the handle. I have been riding it, but now I need to take care of this. Do not want to risk it. Where should I start? Thank you, and forgive me if I sound I have no clue (and you are probably right)!
post #16 of 20 Old Aug 24th, 2017, 9:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALL4BMW View Post
Hello All! So I am reading the posts, and have noticed that the alternate flashing could be low fluid. I have a 99 LT, and this alternate flashing happened after the bike set for 4 weeks without riding, the battery was completely dead, in needed of replacement, and 3 weeks after I purchased the new battery I got it installed. I have not checked the fluids, in fact not even sure where the ABS one is located (I know, what a shame), and heard that the rear brake reservoir sits under the seat. Assuming the front break reservoir is on the right side of the handle. I have been riding it, but now I need to take care of this. Do not want to risk it. Where should I start? Thank you, and forgive me if I sound I have no clue (and you are probably right)!
Jerry,

There are two different ABS systems on the LT, The ABS-II and the I-ABS. The wigwag lights mean different things on the two different systems. On the 99, it doesn't mean that one of the reservoirs is low as it does on the I-ABS system which was installed on the 02 to the end of line.

The thread I am posting a link to has a reset procedure for the ABS-II that can be done without a diagnostic device such as a GS911 from HExcode or a dealer computer diagnostic. If you don't know where the fluid reservoirs are to check, then you need to learn more about your bike or get some help from someone who does if you are not comfortable doing your own wrenching. Taking it to a dealer to have them reset it for a charge is also an option.

Read through the thread and see if this is something you can do or do you need to look to a dealer or possibly someone close with a GS911. The process outlines a way to read the codes with an analog volt meter ( not digital)

Hopefully it just needs a reset and off you go with your ABS function intact. Even if it is failing, you still have full braking on the ABS-II so just be aware that you can lock up one or both wheels depending on the fault.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...eset-long.html

Good luck and ask for help locally. Not sure if anyone who has one is close enough but you have to ask to find out. Hopefully the storm won't impact you much. Hunker down if you need to.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #17 of 20 Old Aug 24th, 2017, 9:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Hello bmwcoolk1200! I found the manual and am willing to do some work. Yes, I do need to know my bike better, you are correct. I appreciate your assistance, and will read through the threads/post. Regards, and thank you for the good wishes. We are expecting lots of rain. Regards.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #18 of 20 Old Sep 3rd, 2017, 8:28 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Hello bmwcoolk1200!

I hope all is well. I contacted the local dealer and they recommended disconnect the battery for 30 minutes. That did not do anything, and I still have the wigwag ABS lights. I read the post you recommended, and do not believe that work is for me. Can I continue to ride the bike? I plan to take it to the dealer so they may connect the GS911. Any other recommendations? If I understood correctly my issue is not the fluid level. This wigwag happened after a dead battery for a couple of weeks. Kind of frustrating to me believing I cannot work on the bike.

Thank you for your time.
post #19 of 20 Old Sep 3rd, 2017, 9:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALL4BMW View Post
Hello bmwcoolk1200!

I hope all is well. I contacted the local dealer and they recommended disconnect the battery for 30 minutes. That did not do anything, and I still have the wigwag ABS lights. I read the post you recommended, and do not believe that work is for me. Can I continue to ride the bike? I plan to take it to the dealer so they may connect the GS911. Any other recommendations? If I understood correctly my issue is not the fluid level. This wigwag happened after a dead battery for a couple of weeks. Kind of frustrating to me believing I cannot work on the bike.

Thank you for your time.
Some faults may reset with the disconnecting of the battery for 30 minutes or over night and some may not. On your 99, the bike is safe to ride as long as you understand that you probably DO NOT have any ABS function on either or both wheels but normal braking should always be available on the 99 whether the ABS is working or not baring leaks. Just be aware that a handful of front or rear brake could lock up the wheel and skid till you let it go and you will be OK.

Not sure if the dealer will reset the fault or not if it persists without doing a repair which would likely be the replacement of the ABS unit but it never hurts to ask. They will likely not do it without a charge for diagnostics so ask before you take it there if they will reset it to see if it returns and how much that charge will be so there are no surprises of a diagnostic charge with no reset. If it shows a piston fault, you are pretty much out of luck unless you want to do a difficult disassemble and clean with no guarantee of a positive result and no diagnostic tool to perform multiple resets when done. If it showed a sensor fault, it would likely have to be shorted to cause a wig wag at key on as they would normally only move to a wig wag after motion is not sensed at one wheel or the other and reset to both flashing with key off and on again. Not sure how the ABS functions with a short condition on a sensor so I am guessing there.

I have a local friend that we reset his a couple times and exercised it and the fault came back ( piston fault) He just installed an instatrike and I believe is living with it on his 2000 with no ABS.

Some things are not beyond peoples skills as long as you know how to use some tools and follow instructions asking questions along the way. Others, are better to leave things to the more accomplished wrenchers or professionals. Not sure where you fit into the scheme of things but it sounds like you lack confidence in your abilities whether that is justified or not. Many here have done big jobs who never thought they could with a little help so don't under sell yourself unless you burn water every time you try to make tea

I hope you are have been on higher ground as you list Houston as your location. My prayers are with you and everyone else there daily.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #20 of 20 Old Sep 4th, 2017, 5:40 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Hello bmwcoolk1200!

Thank you for such a thorough response. You are correct in all you said. Perhaps the uncertainty of never performing such a task is making me a bit anxious. I can follow instructions, use some tools, and am quite patient for certain tasks, so I might give it a try. First I will take it to the local BMW dealer and see what they say. I do not believe they will charge me for the diagnostics, for I have asked them about this before. But showing up may be a different story.

I had purchase some new spark plugs and ignition cable some time ago, and will replace those now, so might as well keep going to the ABS flashing light, after.

I will certainly let you know how all went. I do need to start building some more confidence on working on the bike. I am sure I will find some gratification after completing the task.

We were "dry" at all times. Water never accumulated in our area. We feel blessed.

Thank you for your time.

Jerry
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in