help, wiring, turn sig cancel, autoswitch - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 3:14 pm Thread Starter

Question help, wiring, turn sig cancel, autoswitch

weekend project of HID and motolights and other signal safety farkles yahoo.

1) Is there a way to connect to the turn signal cancel at the rear of the bike instead of on the handle bar?

2) Vectra lights. I can get the TS and power from the turn signal but where is the best place to tap into the brake light for both the right and the left side application? If it is in the same harness as the TS cancel, maybe I am better off doing it all at the handle bar anyway (see number 1).

3) Motolights. When people say "slave" to the low beam I assume they mean connect the "relay switch power lead from the mototlight instructions", (the only free wire I have after battery pos and ground), to the wire that feeds the low beam such that it is always on? Can I connect to the power to the map light instead? It appears more easily accessable. I just want to make sure that the motolights are on all the time unless I switch them off with the provided switch.

Bike, 2003 LT

Thanks for your wisdom. Ken

Last edited by hdfan; Nov 23rd, 2006 at 3:29 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 8:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdfan
1) Is there a way to connect to the turn signal cancel at the rear of the bike instead of on the handle bar?
I'm assuming you are using an AutoSwitch. The AutoSwitch must be on the wire that the comes from the canel button on the right grip. As far as I know that wire is a signal wire to the computer to turn off the signal lamps.. it is only easily available just forward of the cancel switch. That is where I attached my AutSwitch.

Quote:
3) Motolights. When people say "slave" to the low beam I assume they mean connect the "relay switch power lead from the mototlight instructions", (the only free wire I have after battery pos and ground), to the wire that feeds the low beam such that it is always on? Can I connect to the power to the map light instead? It appears more easily accessable. I just want to make sure that the motolights are on all the time unless I switch them off with the provided switch.
IMO the easiest place to attach the pick signal for the relay is to the wire that provides 12v to the seat heater. It is active except when starting.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #3 of 7 Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 8:59 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
weekend project of HID and motolights and other signal safety farkles yahoo.

No. You have to connect to the cancel wire at the handlebar or at the electrical junction box under the fuel tank.

Quote:
2) Vectra lights. I can get the TS and power from the turn signal but where is the best place to tap into the brake light for both the right and the left side application? If it is in the same harness as the TS cancel, maybe I am better off doing it all at the handle bar anyway (see number 1).
You will have to bring a brake light wire back from the rear of the bike. There is a way to tap in in the electrical junction box under the fuel tank, but it is much easier to bring a wire up from the taillight or taillight wiring connector under the topbox. You would still connect the MotoLights power (fused line) directly to the battery.

Quote:
Using the provided switch, I would recommend that you get the power to the switch from the low beam headlight lead. If you used the map light the MotoLights would not go on and off with the ignition key. An additional benefit of using the low beam lead is tying the MotoLights to the load shhead feature of the starter circuit, causing the MotoLights to go off when the engine is being started. The low beam wire is white/yellow at the headlight connector.

Bike, 2003 LT

Thanks for your wisdom. Ken[/QUOTE]

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 10:28 pm Thread Starter

Ok Randy you have peaked my interest. What is the difference between the signal at the back of the bike and the signal from the front brake on the handlebar?

Questions, but not questioning. Thanks

Last edited by hdfan; Nov 23rd, 2006 at 10:44 pm.
post #5 of 7 Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 10:37 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Ok Randy you have peaked my interest. What is the difference between the signal at the back of the bike and the signal from the front break on the handlebar?

Questions, but not questioning. Thanks
The VectraLights need +12v in order to trigger the brake LEDs. I mistakenly assumed the switch on the handlebar was on the ground side. It is on the +12v side of the relay so you could tap into the gray/yellow wire at the handlebar brake switch.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #6 of 7 Old Nov 24th, 2006, 2:49 am

Quote:
FWIW, I found "the correct wire" in the wire loom under the nose cone. I scraped a little insulation off, and soldered the wire from the AutoSwitch onto it. I preferred this location over going up under the handlebar trim and connecting there.
post #7 of 7 Old Nov 24th, 2006, 9:41 am Thread Starter

Thanks but it would be worth a lot more if I knew which one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in