Cee Biley Windshield Height - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 7:23 am Thread Starter

Cee Biley Windshield Height

I have the tall (24") windhield on my 06LT. I need something lower in the full down position because when I ride the Georgia mountains, going downhill forces one to look through the windshield, which I don't like. If I buy a #2-4 will the upper lip be a full 4" lower than the one I have in the full down position and a full 4" lower in the full up position?

Thanks for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 7:25 am Thread Starter

Sorry for the typo...should be Bailey.
post #3 of 11 Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 9:41 am

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
I have the tall (24") windhield on my 06LT. I need something lower in the full down position because when I ride the Georgia mountains, going downhill forces one to look through the windshield, which I don't like. If I buy a #2-4 will the upper lip be a full 4" lower than the one I have in the full down position and a full 4" lower in the full up position?

Thanks for the input.
Billy,
The short answer to your question, No.
All the windshield "stuff" can get quite confusing with all the variables. So, here is the simplified version:
The height of the CB #2 -3 will be very close to your stock 24" shield relative to your line of sight over the top in the full down position. Confusing enough?

If you want a shorter than stock shield, order the -4 or even minus more.

HTH and Good Luck.

Duane

Check the obvious first!
01 LT Champagne "The Starship"
73 Z1 Kawi
and 7 long gone

post #4 of 11 Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 10:00 am

A CB #2 -2.5" = the BMW "tall" shield.
post #5 of 11 Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 1:10 pm Thread Starter

Theefore it sounds like the #2minu 4 will only be about 1 or 2 inches below the one I have now. I may go for the stock short shield which is 17.5". I'll have to see if it goes high enough to provide enough protection in the full up position.
post #6 of 11 Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 8:00 pm

Stock 24" = CB #2 -3.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
A CB #2 -2.5" = the BMW "tall" shield.
My measurin' stick might be outta calibration, but I came up with some different #s after doing a pretty involved measurement. See http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=113368 for details.

The #2 -2" was about 1.5" higher in the line of sight than the stock 24" shield. I traded it back for a -4" and found it to be just slightly lower than the 24" shield.

My guess is that a -3.5" would be the same as the 24" shield in the lower position. I didn't measure the same distance with the shield in the full up position, though.

Billy, FYI, the #2 -4" is just perfect for me - I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam. With the -4" in the lowered position, I have plenty of unobstructed field of view over the top edge, and with it in the full up position, I have plenty of windshield above my line of sight as well.

The reverse curve in the #2 means that more of that windshield "length" is headed upward at a steeper angle than the stock shield, so the "-2" or "-4" etc. is not at all representative of line-of-sight difference.

Maybe CB or someone on this forum will someday post a super-duper graphical overlay on a 1" grid showing the various OEM and CB shield orientations in upper & lower positions.... hint hint

Dave

'03 K1200LT-C Dark Graphite
'96 Triumph Sprint 900 British Racing Green (traded)
'95 Yamaha Virago 750 Pearl/Black (sold)
post #7 of 11 Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 9:08 pm Thread Starter

Thanks guys. You've been a great help. I think I'll order the #2 minus 4.
post #8 of 11 Old Nov 24th, 2006, 5:54 am

I have 4 screens for the LT-
Stock
BMW Euro-Short
CB #1
CB #1+1.5".

Stock- well we know about that.
Short- great for around town in the summer, but VERY winding/noisey above 60 mph. Might be OK for some one who isn't 6'4".
CB#1 stock height- pretty good- better than stock.
CB#1+1.5", works best for me.

I took the stock shield (in you case, maybe the short shield) and taped cardboard to the top- about 6" over stock. Went for a ride with some scissors and started cutting the cardboard down till I had the height that worked.

With the 1.5+, I can see over it in the mountains with it down, yet it works pretty darn well at 80mph.

I would suggest borrow a screen that is shorter than stock.

David Major
Charleston, SC
-2003 LT
-2007 GS Adventure. White
post #9 of 11 Old Nov 24th, 2006, 6:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweintechnik
Maybe CB or someone on this forum will someday post a super-duper graphical overlay on a 1" grid showing the various OEM and CB shield orientations in upper & lower positions.... hint hint
I don't think this will come from CB. I've bought three windshields from them trying to get it right......
post #10 of 11 Old Nov 24th, 2006, 6:56 am

What David Said

find someone nearby (within 500 miles) and borrow a windshield. Saves the aggravation of buying the wrong size, exchanging, shipping, etc.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 11 Old Nov 24th, 2006, 3:14 pm

CB Windshield

hi billy....i'm 6' and the CB #2 -2 with wings works for me just fine...i ride the mtns of nc every chance i get and i know your issue...if you're in doubt about the height then go a little shorter...you can always raise it up when you need to....better to be too short then to high..

smith
greensboro, nc
'05 dk graphite

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in