No Starter - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old May 29th, 2017, 9:40 pm Thread Starter

No Starter

Hi, all!! I received such good advice on this forum recently, solved my problem!! It was appreciated. I now have another: 2000 LT, press starter switch, no start. My earlier problem was the starter relay. Per advice on this forum, I installed the factory upgrade and all was well. However, for about the last year, I have noticed that I have had to push the starter switch harder and harder in order to turn the starter over. Today, it finally failed to make contact. Can I take apart the switch assembly and replace the switch, or do I have to replace the entire assembly which includes the kill switch, right turn signal, and turn signal cancel switch? All help will be appreciated.

Jerry

BMWMOA # 134919
2000 LT Hannigan Trike
1986 Suzuki TM400 (gone)
1957 BSA 500 cc Twin (long gone)
1955 BSA Golden Flash (longer gone)
1950 or thereabouts HD 165 cc 2 stroke! (gone in 1954)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old May 29th, 2017, 10:50 pm

Re: No Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubajgp View Post
Hi, all!! I received such good advice on this forum recently, solved my problem!! It was appreciated. I now have another: 2000 LT, press starter switch, no start. My earlier problem was the starter relay. Per advice on this forum, I installed the factory upgrade and all was well. However, for about the last year, I have noticed that I have had to push the starter switch harder and harder in order to turn the starter over. Today, it finally failed to make contact. Can I take apart the switch assembly and replace the switch, or do I have to replace the entire assembly which includes the kill switch, right turn signal, and turn signal cancel switch? All help will be appreciated.
The multi function switch assembly can be taken apart and if you could source the water proof push button switch, it could be replaced or you can tap into the wires and add another switch somewhere else. I bought a switch assembly on Ebay for $50 and it had a broken kill switch tab on top. I pulled it all apart and swapped my good housing for the broken one as I burned out my kill switch with a short and it all works.

There are several on there now from about $45 on up so once you verify it actually is the switch, I would go ahead and order one and just replace the unit. If you pull the right side panel and open the electrics box, you can test with a meter on pins 3 and 5 of the plug on the connector block. That might be easier than disassembling the switch as the switch is not serviceable. The wires are are black W/Yellow and Green W/Yellow. It is a black 10 pin plug with a blue plug daisy chained with a single heavy wire.

Good luck with the repair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02208.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	656.1 KB
ID:	126665  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old May 30th, 2017, 12:59 am Thread Starter

Copy that, thanks much for that reply. I will take a look at ebay tomorrow. I appreciate your help!

post #4 of 8 Old May 30th, 2017, 10:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubajgp View Post
Copy that, thanks much for that reply. I will take a look at ebay tomorrow. I appreciate your help!
Good luck. There was one that was low priced but looked different in the kill switch area so make sure the one you get is right for your bike. I didn't pay too much attention as I just did a general search to see if they were readily available and they are.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old May 30th, 2017, 9:14 pm Thread Starter

Yes, I have that inquiry in process! Thanks!

Jerry

BMWMOA # 134919
2000 LT Hannigan Trike
1986 Suzuki TM400 (gone)
1957 BSA 500 cc Twin (long gone)
1955 BSA Golden Flash (longer gone)
1950 or thereabouts HD 165 cc 2 stroke! (gone in 1954)
post #6 of 8 Old May 31st, 2017, 5:00 am

You have checked your fuses?

I have taken apart and cleaned the contacts in my hand switches, put back and all has been good.
Another time I broke off the green mushroom on the starter button. (putting gauntlets on or off I don't remember) All I have for start button is the shaft. It has worked for years, I just got a replacement at a swap meet, yet to install.

This was on my 85 k100rs but the start button looks the same.

If you do go in to try to service the switches, know they are considered "NON SERVICEABLE" that said, be careful not to loose anything. There are very small springs in there, not replaceable.
I have a friend that just started cleaning his switch and lost a spring taking it apart. Work in a clean confined space to contain small parts.

I would try before I bought one, what, ya gonna do brake it?
post #7 of 8 Old May 31st, 2017, 11:48 pm

Garage
Have you checked the ground for the stater? I had the same symptom and the bolt on the ground strap was way loose. Hard to reach but much easier.
post #8 of 8 Old Jun 1st, 2017, 10:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTExfisher View Post
Have you checked the ground for the stater? I had the same symptom and the bolt on the ground strap was way loose. Hard to reach but much easier.
That is always a good thing to check with starter or odd electrical issues Sam. If however, simply pressing harder on the start button gets it going with no other action, I would not suspect that as the cause in this instance unless we are getting inaccurate information on how it is acting. I too had that pesky screw fall out and it caused all sorts of electrical oddities till jzeller pointed me to it.

Never hurts to check out the possibilities.
You can see it with a bright light looking down in front of the battery slightly to the left. It is circled in red in the attached picture. This is the ground point for the load shed relay and is a known issue of coming lose and causing issues. I had to cut down an allen wrench to get it in-between the frame and onto the bolt itself. Give it a look see just to be sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bolts for starter1.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	666.1 KB
ID:	126785  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in