removal of throtle cable return cable - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 5:55 pm Thread Starter

removal of throtle cable return cable

Ok I know that I am slow but want to do it right the first time. I have reviewed other postings on how to take off the air box. Per the manual you do not do that you remove the injector rail etc. That I have done. I have replaced the green marked throttle cable and it is set into the cam mechanism. The question I have is on the return cable. How to get it out of mechanism and how to remove the circlip. Do you unscrew the mechanism it is placed in then remove the circlip and cable from the cam? If anyone has the manual I am referring to page 13.13, the device with the spring on it.
I am going to dinner soon and will check when I get back.

Thanks for the help

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 6:54 pm

Smile air box removal

I removed the air box beacause I just neede more room to work. Once I removed the hose clamps and one screw that held on the airbox I saw the cir clip which had to be removed. I don't see how I could of changed out both cables without the removal of the airbox. Others say they have done the change out withour removing but they are magicians. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robasay
Ok I know that I am slow but want to do it right the first time. I have reviewed other postings on how to take off the air box. Per the manual you do not do that you remove the injector rail etc. That I have done. I have replaced the green marked throttle cable and it is set into the cam mechanism. The question I have is on the return cable. How to get it out of mechanism and how to remove the circlip. Do you unscrew the mechanism it is placed in then remove the circlip and cable from the cam? If anyone has the manual I am referring to page 13.13, the device with the spring on it.
I am going to dinner soon and will check when I get back.

Thanks for the help

looking around for a possible replacement

2001 K1200 LTC Mauve (Hi-Way Star) may she rest in peace!

CCR'2001 Hotsprings, AR., Sante Fe, NM., Gatlinberg, TN.
Breckinridge, CO., Grand Teton Nat. Prk, WY.
Chateau Elan, GA., Tan-a-Tar-A missed it!
post #3 of 4 Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 8:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrehder
I removed the air box beacause I just neede more room to work. Once I removed the hose clamps and one screw that held on the airbox I saw the cir clip which had to be removed. I don't see how I could of changed out both cables without the removal of the airbox. Others say they have done the change out withour removing but they are magicians. Good luck!
I have changed cables twice and never removed the airbox. It takes a tool to do it, best by far is a long, bent tip hemostat, but small LONG needle nose pliers work also. The Hemostat makes the job actually quite easy. I did pull the fuel rail, which is actually easy, two screws and the injector plugs. The hardest part of pulling the fuel rail is the fuel hoses, sometimes they are a bit of a witch to get off the nipples on the fuel rail.

Not sure what circlip you are talking about, but if it is the "E" clip holding the return cable's mounting sleeve in, I never found that an issue, just pop it out with a really small screwdriver, and push it back on with my fingers. Push in on the sleeve to compress the spring, and the clip is easy sneezy.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 4 Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 8:55 pm Thread Starter

Cables

"Not sure what circlip you are talking about, but if it is the "E" clip holding the return cable's mounting sleeve in, I never found that an issue, just pop it out with a really small screwdriver, and push it back on with my fingers. Push in on the sleeve to compress the spring, and the clip is easy sneezy"

That's the one Dave, did not think of pushing on the spring to relieve tension and the clip should come right out. Then the change is easy. I just read the directions on the repair manual. At first I attempted to remove the box. but it just seemed to hard to get to the clamps. So I just unplugged the electrical connections to the injectors, cut some zip ties, took two others apart and removed the fuel lines on each end and got lots of clearance. Thinking about going down to do it tonight but now watching the Sus/Wolves game.

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in