Steering Damper Cushion/Washer - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By peterj
  • 1 Post By silverlt2002

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old May 22nd, 2017, 1:34 pm Thread Starter

Steering Damper Cushion/Washer

On my 2006 K1200 LT, the felt type cushion between the steering damper and front fender? area split and fell off. The damper is still working per a quick test today.

Not sure what the felt washer/cushion is for, but should I replace it? If yes, is it difficult? Any special tools?

Sammy

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old May 22nd, 2017, 3:00 pm

Re: Steering Damper Cushion/Washer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgroover View Post
On my 2006 K1200 LT, the felt type cushion between the steering damper and front fender? area split and fell off. The damper is still working per a quick test today.

Not sure what the felt washer/cushion is for, but should I replace it? If yes, is it difficult? Any special tools?

Sammy

The bushing you are referring to is to keep the ball joint clean and dry, or cleaner and dryer than being unprotected. They are not the easiest things to get off as the torx bolt from under the fork bridge is attached to the damper with loctite and requires some heat at the base to remove plus it moves around so difficult to get some bite and turn it. If nothing else, take a big dob of grease and cover up the ball to keep dirt out till you can replace it. That is my current state also.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old May 22nd, 2017, 4:10 pm

The felt is now replaced with a rubber washer the same as those used in the gear selector linkages on the lt
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

post #4 of 10 Old May 23rd, 2017, 7:51 pm

Being generally cheap, when mine fell apart, I wandered the hardware store and found some thick round dense felt pads that are used for cushioning the bottom of chair legs that were the same diameter but half of the thickness as the original. Since they have adhesive on one side, I stuck two together, cut a hole in the center, installed, and they work great. Have had them on for over a year and only cost about $4.00 for a pack of 8.
Patric likes this.

Steve Green
US Army (Ret)
2002 KLT
Titan Silver

I don't like making plans for the day....because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.
post #5 of 10 Old May 23rd, 2017, 8:44 pm Thread Starter

Thank you for that input. Funny, I already have those at felt washers at home for our dining room chairs. Any secrets or pointers for installation?

Sammy

post #6 of 10 Old May 24th, 2017, 7:18 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlt2002 View Post
Being generally cheap, when mine fell apart, I wandered the hardware store and found some thick round dense felt pads that are used for cushioning the bottom of chair legs that were the same diameter but half of the thickness as the original. Since they have adhesive on one side, I stuck two together, cut a hole in the center, installed, and they work great. Have had them on for over a year and only cost about $4.00 for a pack of 8.
That is a clever solution and I considered that last year when I rebuilt my clutch, but got lazy and just ordered from BMW since I was placing a big order anyway. The new ones are foam rubber which makes lots more sense to me than felt. This area sees lots of water when riding in the rain and felt absorbs water and dries slowly. I always thought felt was a strange choice in this application. I much prefer the rubber and just need to find a cheaper alternative than BMW. Would be great if BBY could find a source or foam rubber donuts...

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 Old May 26th, 2017, 6:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgroover View Post
Thank you for that input. Funny, I already have those at felt washers at home for our dining room chairs. Any secrets or pointers for installation?

Sammy

I first tried drilling through the felt biscut and that didn't work well at all. Too much grab on the drill bit and too little felt biscut to hang on to. I ended up making a small square hole using a very sharp 1/4" chisel and hammer worked just fine.

Steve Green
US Army (Ret)
2002 KLT
Titan Silver

I don't like making plans for the day....because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.
post #8 of 10 Old May 27th, 2017, 5:31 am
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
I first tried drilling through the felt biscut and that didn't work well at all. Too much grab on the drill bit and too little felt biscut to hang on to. I ended up making a small square hole using a very sharp 1/4" chisel and hammer worked just fine.
I use the faucet felt washers that already have a hole in them.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #9 of 10 Old May 27th, 2017, 3:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
I use the faucet felt washers that already have a hole in them.
Sounds like a great reason to go back to the hardware store and wander around some more.

Steve Green
US Army (Ret)
2002 KLT
Titan Silver

post #10 of 10 Old May 29th, 2017, 10:49 am

Quote:
Sounds like a great reason to go back to the hardware store and wander around some more.
I bought an appropriately-sized rubber stopper at the hardware store, cut it into 1/4" thick sections, and drilled a hole in it. Had to replace all three of the felt washers.

Ken Davis
2002 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in