Sudden Shut Off - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Nov 21st, 2006, 9:48 pm Thread Starter

Sudden Shut Off

My LT did something it has never done before: Shortly after leaving the office today it died. I was riding about 35 mph on a city street and it happened precisely when I pulled the clutch lever to shift. The ignition was still turned on, lights on, dash lights on, etc., the engine just quit -- no sputtering or anything. I hit the start button and it fired right up with no further symptoms for the rest of the trip home.

Info: '05 LT, 24,600 miles, 24k service done just last Friday.

Any ideas what could have caused this, and should I be concerned about it happening again? Could the tech have done anything at the 24k service to cause it? It has to go back in the shop anyway so maybe they should be looking at it...

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Nov 21st, 2006, 9:56 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

I have had that happen about 4 times early in the morning when I pulled the clutch in preparing to stop. Always in the morning and always on cold days and within two blocks from the house.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #3 of 19 Old Nov 21st, 2006, 10:00 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
I have had that happen about 4 times early in the morning when I pulled the clutch in preparing to stop. Always in the morning and always on cold days and within two blocks from the house.
Interesting. It was 22 when I left for work; no issues. It was 42 when I left the office today, and that's when it happened.

Did you ever determine what caused yours to do it?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]

post #4 of 19 Old Nov 21st, 2006, 10:27 pm

Ditto to what Raffy said. Happened maybe 5 times in 100K miles. So it's just one of those things.

If I'm still moving, I just bump start by letting out the clutch in the next gear, and it starts right up.

Regards,
-joel
post #5 of 19 Old Nov 21st, 2006, 10:45 pm

happened 2 times in 17k miles.. both whencold.. There was a recall on the fuelpump relay... and I think it coud be part of the "intermittent/occassional" stoppage. Otherwise, it could be a slightly loose power connector for the fuel pump.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #6 of 19 Old Nov 21st, 2006, 11:17 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Nope never new why. Just figured it was cold weather related.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #7 of 19 Old Nov 21st, 2006, 11:23 pm

Garage
Also happened a few times to me with enough consistency that I brought it in.

Service technician said it had something to do with the idle speed when the throttle is off (rotated forward).

Not sure if that was the exact cause, but it's never done it since it was "serviced."

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush
post #8 of 19 Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 1:07 am

Never has happened to me, but my brother has had this happen with his LT a handful of times. Exactly as you've described.
post #9 of 19 Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 5:08 am

Me too

It has happened to me a couple of times in the morning when the bike is cold. Usually at the first or second stop sign from my house. Now when pulling up to the stop signs I give a few quick gooses of the throttle while the clutch is in which seems to work.

I have also noticed now that it is colder (in the 30's-40's here) the big beast is slow to turn over and a few times has started, run rough and then died right away. Hit the starter again she fired right back up and idled fine. Is this just another "one of those things"?

-Ekim
2005 K1200LT (R.I.P.)
Manchester, MD

post #10 of 19 Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 7:02 am

It hasn't happened to me on my 99LT. I have had it happen on a couple of cars. Both times it happened once and then never a problem. It does make one wonder though.
post #11 of 19 Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 7:09 am

I have had it occur a couple of times in the past two years. Same type of conditions. One of life's little mysteries perhaps?
post #12 of 19 Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 7:47 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Throttle Technique

Howard,

Now you know why Harley riders blip the throttle all the time... If they don't then their engines die!

I have had this happen a few times as well. When it is cold out and until the engine temp is up I just never chop the throttle completely. Besides you just can't hear it when we blip out throttles.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #13 of 19 Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 7:54 am

How about RF

Maybe something messing with the electronics like high RF. Better put some aluminum foil in your pants. Several years ago when they first installed the NEXRAD radar in Amarillo the thing would sweep through the control tower on a maintenance run and everything, including shielded, would go crazy. They moved the tower but not before I took those guys some bags of Jiffy Pop to hang around their necks as radiation badges.
post #14 of 19 Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 12:45 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
My '02 died like that a couple of times when it was new. Pull up between cars to the front of the line, pull in the clutch and the bike dies, just as the light turns green. That's usually when the bike was cold, but at least it's never been 22 degrees here.

Of course, the dealer said it was normal. I later figured out that it was just the Motronic learning the idle position. These bikes don't have a hard idle set screw like the old carburetors, so it takes some time to figure out what the proper fuel flow is for a stable idle.

I've had similar issues just after unplugging the battery. Rotating the throttle full open and full closed twice helps set the throttle position limits, but the bike still needs to map fuel flow versus rpm. It's just most sensitive at idle speeds, so if it dips too low then the bike can die.

So once again, the answer is to Just Ride It.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by meese; Nov 22nd, 2006 at 1:27 pm.
post #15 of 19 Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 8:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
My '02 died like that a couple of times when it was new. Pull up between cars to the front of the line, pull in the clutch and the bike dies, just as the light turns green. That's usually when the bike was cold, but at least it's never been 22 degrees here.
About the same here. I have an 02 and the first stop sign is five houses away. She is idling about 1200-1300rpm. I turn and go about 3/4 mile and the next stop sign I have learned to keep the throttle open just a bit. She will drop down to 400-500 rpm. It ONLY happens when the bike is cold. Sometimes in the summer the outside temp will be a bone crushing 75* in the early morning but it acts the same.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #16 of 19 Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 5:38 pm

Red face

I had it happen 1 time, it died as I was pulling out from a stop sign and turning left. Yea, I dropped it.

Picked it up, started NO problem except for my red Face.

It was 27 degrees that morning, I now keep the RPM up when it is cold.
post #17 of 19 Old Nov 24th, 2006, 3:01 am

Greetings all.

This precise problem is still happening to my '83 K100. When she shuts down it's quick like an electrical problem. All the dash tell tale lights light up, I hit the starter and away she goes. Go figure that one. I'm currently thinking maybe a fuel injection relay fault.

Kindest regards to all.

Paul Harrington
Australia

[email protected]

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
post #18 of 19 Old Nov 24th, 2006, 9:02 am

Sounds like one of these little guys at work. (No, not Buggs Bunny)

post #19 of 19 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 5:52 pm

Check out recall Maybe ?

Howard:

Check out the recalls on the technical pages.

Think it related to the 05s
"ON CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES, AT LOWER TEMPERATURES, WIRING WITHIN THE ANTI-THEFT CONTROL UNIT MAY PRESS AGAINST THE FUEL PUMP RELAY. THE FUEL PUMP RELAY CONTACTS COULD OPEN, INTERRUPTING THE FUEL SUPPLY TO THE ENGINE, RESULTING IN STALLING."

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
My LT did something it has never done before: Shortly after leaving the office today it died. I was riding about 35 mph on a city street and it happened precisely when I pulled the clutch lever to shift. The ignition was still turned on, lights on, dash lights on, etc., the engine just quit -- no sputtering or anything. I hit the start button and it fired right up with no further symptoms for the rest of the trip home.

Info: '05 LT, 24,600 miles, 24k service done just last Friday.

Any ideas what could have caused this, and should I be concerned about it happening again? Could the tech have done anything at the 24k service to cause it? It has to go back in the shop anyway so maybe they should be looking at it...

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in