Replacing Front Rotors - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Voyager

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old May 13th, 2017, 11:31 am Thread Starter

Garage
Question Replacing Front Rotors

Hi All, I'm new to this forum and newer owner of a K1200LT, had the bike in for service and was told the brake discs need to be replaced to the tune of $1400.00!!! Yikes. Anyone have a suggestion on doing that job cheaper. I am planning to do the work myself as am pretty handy with tools. The OEM rotors are almost $800.00 plus $200 for new shoes. I saw where one of you replaced yours with EBC rotors from Bike Bandit. I checked them out but there rotors are bare of any install parts. They said to reuse the old mounting hardware. My old ones area the larger ones with a "rivet pack" I assume they are factory installed and not removable to reuse? Any suggestions on the best way to proceed would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time.
Best,
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old May 13th, 2017, 12:39 pm

Re: Replacing Front Rotors

Get EBC, not OEM. I did remove cowbell noise from the back just by changing the rotor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 Old May 13th, 2017, 9:48 pm

i'm no mechanic. I use my lift to wash bikes, change oil, and recently...change the brakes. Took me an hour. I think it would take a mechanic five minutes. If I can do it, anyone can. Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old May 14th, 2017, 10:12 pm
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavihoLT View Post
Hi All, I'm new to this forum and newer owner of a K1200LT, had the bike in for service and was told the brake discs need to be replaced to the tune of $1400.00!!! Yikes. Anyone have a suggestion on doing that job cheaper. I am planning to do the work myself as am pretty handy with tools. The OEM rotors are almost $800.00 plus $200 for new shoes. I saw where one of you replaced yours with EBC rotors from Bike Bandit. I checked them out but there rotors are bare of any install parts. They said to reuse the old mounting hardware. My old ones area the larger ones with a "rivet pack" I assume they are factory installed and not removable to reuse? Any suggestions on the best way to proceed would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time.
Best,
Dave
My experience with replacing front rotors is in thread link below... EBC were great for me.
I also just re-used the old hardware.. bolts, washers etc. All good.
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...kudos-ebc.html

Note: this is on an '05 model... if you have an earlier model they are a different part number.. see attached EBC catalogue list (sourced from the web a few years back)

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Last edited by cws; May 14th, 2017 at 10:18 pm.
post #5 of 6 Old May 15th, 2017, 5:46 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws View Post
My experience with replacing front rotors is in thread link below... EBC were great for me.
I also just re-used the old hardware.. bolts, washers etc. All good.
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...kudos-ebc.html

Note: this is on an '05 model... if you have an earlier model they are a different part number.. see attached EBC catalogue list (sourced from the web a few years back)
I wonder how BMW feels about being a non-Japanese motorcycle rather than a German motorcycle.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #6 of 6 Old May 16th, 2017, 2:10 am Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks a bunch CWS, great info. Think I can do the job myself now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in