Quick answer regarding front rotor install - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200
  • 1 Post By DeusExMaxima
  • 1 Post By DeusExMaxima

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old May 2nd, 2017, 8:04 pm Thread Starter

Quick answer regarding front rotor install

I'm replacing the front rotors with EBC rotors. I'm not sure if the hardware was installed correctly by the previous owner. On the ABS Ring Side of the rotor there are no washers or stop discs which I think is what bikebandit calls it. On the other side of the rotor which is the right side as you are riding the bike there were some flat disks installed between the rotor and the wheel and I don't believe this is correct. I believe the discs go between the ABS ring and the left disc only.

Please advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old May 2nd, 2017, 8:10 pm Thread Starter

Heres a pic of the thin flat washers found on only right side of the bike between rotor and rim.

I believe it goes between the disc and the ABS ring on the left side and this may be why the brake shakes when applied . Anyone know?
post #3 of 14 Old May 2nd, 2017, 9:55 pm

Re: Quick answer regarding front rotor install

I have an 01 so those washers are not included. The 01- have a cast iron sensor wheel and I believe the 02+ use a stamped steel sensor ring. Those washers not included on mine may be there to make up the difference in thickness of the 2 different parts so the sensor ring and rotor are positioned properly if the wheel is standard throughout production which I don't know. On mine, the ring is placed under the rotor not on top so I think that picture would be incorrect for my setup.

See all that loctite on those washers? that is what I had in another place and it shook like hell on braking. All that needs to be cleaned off and be very carefull in applying any loctite to those screws. All I did was a disassembly and clean and reassembly and all the shakes went away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02255.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	496.4 KB
ID:	126001   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02256.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	126009  
Painterman likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old May 2nd, 2017, 9:57 pm Thread Starter

Ur setup looks different.... even your abs ring looks different
post #5 of 14 Old May 2nd, 2017, 10:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima View Post
Ur setup looks different.... even your abs ring looks different
As I said, the 01 has a cast iron sensor wheel and the 02+ uses a stamped steel one or at least the ones I have seen on ebay are stamped steel so yes, they are different and yours apparently uses those additional washers where mine does not. I had a similar build up of loctite but it was in a different place on the roll pins but none the less, causing the brakes to judder which is now gone after a good cleaning and reassembly.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bmwcoolk1200; May 2nd, 2017 at 10:53 pm.
post #6 of 14 Old May 3rd, 2017, 2:40 am Thread Starter

Okay well I took a chance and assembled the rotors according to the diagram where on the left side I put the ABS ring on the wheel and a thin washer on top of it and then the rotor then the spring washer and the locating thing whatever that's called and then the bolt. The right side of the engine was just the rotor bolted to the wheel with a spring washer and locating seeing and then the bolt.

High torque to the bolts down to specs and then I install the wheel and talked all those bolts down and the brakes are smooth with no judder at all.

The problem is there is a whirring noise almost like a little card in the spokes of a bicycle. I'm guessing it's maybe the brake pads and the holes in the rotors but I'm not sure. It's fairly loud but the brakes to work well. The rear brakes are kind of sensitive. Is there a way to adjust the servo assist?
post #7 of 14 Old May 3rd, 2017, 7:30 am

Quote:
Okay well I took a chance and assembled the rotors according to the diagram where on the left side I put the ABS ring on the wheel and a thin washer on top of it and then the rotor then the spring washer and the locating thing whatever that's called and then the bolt. The right side of the engine was just the rotor bolted to the wheel with a spring washer and locating seeing and then the bolt.

High torque to the bolts down to specs and then I install the wheel and talked all those bolts down and the brakes are smooth with no judder at all.

The problem is there is a whirring noise almost like a little card in the spokes of a bicycle. I'm guessing it's maybe the brake pads and the holes in the rotors but I'm not sure. It's fairly loud but the brakes to work well. The rear brakes are kind of sensitive. Is there a way to adjust the servo assist?
No way I know of to adjust the assist level. Make sure that whirring noise isn't the ABS sensor clearance to the sensor ring. My book is already packed for a trip or I would look up the clearance. I know some models of the servo assist have linked front and rear brakes when the front is applied. Not sure if that applies to some or all the I-ABS LT's or not at all. Maybe someone else can share a pic of the proper assembly of the I-ABS front sensor and rotor as a double check for what you did. I would suspect that if it was assembled wrong, the clearance would be way off or the ring would be impacting the sensor.

EDIT: Also look to see if the rotor is centered between the caliper and not off to one side or the other based on the assembly of the parts.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Last edited by bmwcoolk1200; May 3rd, 2017 at 8:09 am.
post #8 of 14 Old May 3rd, 2017, 10:09 am

2002 and up with the "wizzy" brakes are linked. Front also gives rear and rear also gives front. Some say that light pressure on the rear gives only rear but my experience with two different bikes is different.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
post #9 of 14 Old May 3rd, 2017, 10:57 am Thread Starter

The whirring noise ONLY occurs when I apoly the brakes, either front or rear. I would think that if it was an ABS sensor clearance issue that it would happen all the time since the sensor doesn't move.
post #10 of 14 Old May 3rd, 2017, 11:09 am

Quote:
The whirring noise ONLY occurs when I apoly the brakes, either front or rear. I would think that if it was an ABS sensor clearance issue that it would happen all the time since the sensor doesn't move.
Unless the wheel bearings are flexing and allowing the wheel to move instead of the wave washers compressing while the caliper pistons center themselves. Just a thought.

Don't know the answer for rear activating the front in linked brakes. Front would definitely activate the rear though. Something else I can learn about the I-ABS system of which I don't have to meddle with.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #11 of 14 Old May 3rd, 2017, 12:23 pm Thread Starter

The ABS airgap is .6mm, well within specs.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.
post #12 of 14 Old May 3rd, 2017, 3:40 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Unless the wheel bearings are flexing and allowing the wheel to move instead of the wave washers compressing while the caliper pistons center themselves. Just a thought.

Don't know the answer for rear activating the front in linked brakes. Front would definitely activate the rear though. Something else I can learn about the I-ABS system of which I don't have to meddle with.
With linked brakes, applying the rear also activates the front, I believe. In any event, the whirring sound is likely the pads and the rotors. Maybe it will take some time to bed in.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.
post #13 of 14 Old May 3rd, 2017, 3:43 pm

Quote:
With linked brakes, applying the rear also activates the front, I believe. In any event, the whirring sound is likely the pads and the rotors. Maybe it will take some time to bed in.
As long as they don't shake when you apply them, you are already ahead of where you were

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #14 of 14 Old May 3rd, 2017, 5:33 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
As long as they don't shake when you apply them, you are already ahead of where you were
Oh yes, very smooth. Feels odd because since I bought the bike in Nov 2016, the bike has had a terrible judder.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in