• 2 Post By TNJoe
  • 1 Post By Mark65
  • 1 Post By alabrew
  • 1 Post By saddleman
  • 1 Post By simoncharles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Apr 30th, 2017, 9:24 pm Thread Starter

Two questions

I recently purchased a 08 model with 22,000 miles. The bike has been very well maintained. The only two things that are not working are the ECS and the Navigator III. The GPS I am going to remove and replace with another Garmin GPS. I have read some of the previous post about getting power from the dash light to the GPS. What is everyone doing with the cables running to the Navigator? Wished there was some way to get power from them to power a regular GPS. The ECS makes one click when you push the button to activate it. The light flashes twice and that is all that happens. You hear no whining like the motor is working at all. Is it okay to put the bike on the center stand without the ECS working? I know I will have to have some help getting it on it. I bought this bike in February just a few days after breaking my foot. It took 10 weeks to get back on my feet and feel comfortable about riding. Been able to get about 1500 miles on it in the and have been very pleased. This bike handles like a dream in the mountains and is super smooth on the interstate. Saturday I was able to ride 150 miles in the mountains of TN, NC, and VA and only had one red light on the route I took. Looking forward to getting some time off work and taking a long ride on her.
Patric and Mark65 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Apr 30th, 2017, 9:40 pm

Re: Two questions

EPM of New Jersey can rebuild your shocks. Or sell you new standards. Yes no problem putting it up on the center stand. The voltage that comes from the OEM connector for the NAV unit is 12 vdc. You can use this if you have a dc to dc converter in your new GPS or its wiring, they use 5 volts generally. Although on some machines this converter can sometimes keep the 12 volt source (the nav source and all the outlets on the bike are one circuit) open and the computer in an alert status that drains the battery. Not all bikes do this though, must be some sort of threshold of current flow sensing. I'd just use a lamp circuit or install a fuse panel for your extra stuff. Fire the fuse panel via a relay and a key on power circuit, such as that very same nav power plug. This connector will plug into the nav connector and give you three wires PN 83 300 413 585. The wires are labeled, #1 is ground, #2 is a pulse for the GPS, #3 is 12 volts positive. If you do some searches on these subjects there is quite a bit of information. The NAV circuit also takes 60 seconds to shut down after the key goes off.
High Performance Motorcycle Suspension Sales and Service from EPM Performance Imports

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #3 of 20 Old May 1st, 2017, 5:26 am

Well worth getting the ECS looked at, it may be something quite simple to fix. Having it is a real boon.

Highly recommend OHLINS shocks for this bike. The difference they make is outstanding.

post #4 of 20 Old May 1st, 2017, 11:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles View Post

Highly recommend OHLINS shocks for this bike. The difference they make is outstanding.

How much did you spend on that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 20 Old May 1st, 2017, 3:23 pm

All you guys are talking about shocks. I don't see in the OP where he asked anything about shocks.
post #6 of 20 Old May 1st, 2017, 3:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauro View Post
Probably about 50% of the value of the average LT.
post #7 of 20 Old May 1st, 2017, 4:57 pm

I have a slightly used Nav III, I'll make a great deal on. $225.00 including shipping in CONUS.
post #8 of 20 Old May 1st, 2017, 5:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNJoe View Post
I recently purchased a 08 model with 22,000 miles. The bike has been very well maintained. The only two things that are not working are the ECS and the Navigator III. The GPS I am going to remove and replace with another Garmin GPS. I have read some of the previous post about getting power from the dash light to the GPS. What is everyone doing with the cables running to the Navigator? Wished there was some way to get power from them to power a regular GPS. The ECS makes one click when you push the button to activate it. The light flashes twice and that is all that happens. You hear no whining like the motor is working at all. Is it okay to put the bike on the center stand without the ECS working? I know I will have to have some help getting it on it. I bought this bike in February just a few days after breaking my foot. It took 10 weeks to get back on my feet and feel comfortable about riding. Been able to get about 1500 miles on it in the and have been very pleased. This bike handles like a dream in the mountains and is super smooth on the interstate. Saturday I was able to ride 150 miles in the mountains of TN, NC, and VA and only had one red light on the route I took. Looking forward to getting some time off work and taking a long ride on her.

I'm sure you've already checked these, but is the bike in neutral with the side stand up?In gear or side stand down will pretty much do what you've described...

Mark
simoncharles likes this.

Mark(Big Poppa) and Julie(Fireball)
'06 K1200LT Magnesium Black "Stella"
Glendale, AZ
BMWMOA#206887
RA#44657
AMA#3647653

Let's Ride!
post #9 of 20 Old May 2nd, 2017, 5:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauro View Post

I honestly canīt remember, it must have been around 10 years ago, nearly 2 years after getting the bike.

I know they didnīt cost me as much as ICT Rider suggests, probably around 7% of what the bike cost me new !

You can get them on Ebay for around $ 1.500

Last edited by simoncharles; May 2nd, 2017 at 5:19 am.
post #10 of 20 Old May 2nd, 2017, 3:48 pm Thread Starter

Yes I did try exactly the way you are suppose to use the ECS. Think I will put it on the lift so I can see under it to check if anything is loose. Thanks for the suggestion Mark.

Last edited by TNJoe; May 2nd, 2017 at 3:54 pm.
post #11 of 20 Old May 2nd, 2017, 3:50 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the offer WT. Think I am going to install a fuse block and buy a new gps.
post #12 of 20 Old May 2nd, 2017, 4:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNJoe View Post
Yes I did try exactly the way you are suppose to use the ECS. Think I will put it on the lift so I can see under it to check if anything is loose. Thanks for the suggestion Mark.
May I suggest that you liberally spray WD40 all over and around it before getting your hands dirty.

It will loosen up any nuts and bolts that may need taking apart, get rid of any excess grease and may even solve the problem.

Stranger things have occurred before.

By the way, what state is the battery in ?.
post #13 of 20 Old May 2nd, 2017, 6:13 pm

Search the site for EHCS (electric hydraulic center stand) for more info and trouble shooting / repair.

Most probable problem from what you describe is that the motor has gone out. A honda starter motor is the most used replacement. Other than that, the unit may be low on hydraulic oil, but you would hear the motor running if that were the case.

You can get her on the CS by rolling the rear tire on a 2x4 (I made a ramp with a small piece of plywood) and with a helper push down on the CS. I placed another 2x4 across the CS to push against.

It is easy to get the EHCS unit off the bike, and it doesn't have to be on the CS to do so.
cws likes this.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
post #14 of 20 Old May 2nd, 2017, 8:21 pm
Enjoy The Ride

John Zeiler (jzeiler on this forum) is the person here who repairs the electric hydraulic center stand for many of the riders on this forum. PM him & he will contact you.
cws likes this.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 20 Old May 3rd, 2017, 1:07 pm

I installed a garmin zumo 550 on a ram mount off the clutch reservior. I got power from the dash map light via double blade spade connectors i got at radio shack. The allowed me to jump the hot wire off the map light.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #16 of 20 Old May 3rd, 2017, 1:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles View Post
May I suggest that you liberally spray WD40 all over and around it before getting your hands dirty.

It will loosen up any nuts and bolts that may need taking apart, get rid of any excess grease and may even solve the problem.

Stranger things have occurred before.

By the way, what state is the battery in ?.
I have to assume it's in Tennessee, with the rest of the bike...

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Mark(Big Poppa) and Julie(Fireball)
'06 K1200LT Magnesium Black "Stella"
Glendale, AZ
BMWMOA#206887
RA#44657
AMA#3647653

Let's Ride!
post #17 of 20 Old May 3rd, 2017, 2:00 pm

+1 on John Z. He repaired mine when it wouldn't lift the bike and I attempted to replace the seals and fluid. Turned out that the shaft was scarred, it leaked and needed replacement, which he did for me.

The motor swap is very easy to do yourself.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
post #18 of 20 Old May 3rd, 2017, 4:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by james216 View Post
I installed a garmin zumo 550 on a ram mount off the clutch reservior. I got power from the dash map light via double blade spade connectors i got at radio shack. The allowed me to jump the hot wire off the map light.

Do you have pics?

post #19 of 20 Old May 3rd, 2017, 5:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark65 View Post
I have to assume it's in Tennessee, with the rest of the bike...

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
I was waiting for some bright spark to come up with that answer the moment after I posted the question !
Mark65 likes this.
post #20 of 20 Old May 12th, 2017, 4:20 am

There is a mount for a Garmin GPS motorcycle cradle where the dash light used to be on my '05 LT. The double-ball-joint swivel is not used but could be. When I replaced the windshield actuator I found a bracket beneath the front cowl that supported the GPS bracket. I don't think it is stock and I have no idea where to obtain it.

I suggest investing in the BMW tank mount for the Motorrad (Garmin branded for BMW) Navigator GPS. I had that on the '07 LT I had and it was very satisfactory. Using the motorcycle cradle for the Garmin/Navigator units provides the right power out with 12V in. Wiring becomes a matter of Tupperware tussles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in