Utterly amazing... - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Travis Handleson

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Apr 29th, 2017, 3:22 pm Thread Starter

Utterly amazing...

After owning this bike for a year, I found the stock setup extremely lacking in the ergonomics. Granted, I've had 3 surgeries on my left knee and 2 on the right, but the leg locked position of the stock pegs is asinine. So, since I am locked in a motolease contract for at least another two years, I decided to make the bike something that fits my iron butt riding style. Added the Cee Bailey windshield, Darius floorboards, mickopegs and a Corbin seat. You would think that for a bike BMW touted as the "flagship" touring bike, it wouldn't take thousands of dollars to make it a comfortable cross country bike...or a bike that can be ridden more than 200 miles at a time without a need to take a Lortab afterwards.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Apr 29th, 2017, 3:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Utterly amazing...

I put an RDL seat on my LT and did a ride-in appointment on my GTLE, and never need to stop except for gas/food. Dialing in the correct seating position is key to comfort. RDL requires you to send pictures of you sitting in a riding position as well as at rest with your feet on the ground (unless you do the ride-in appointment). They then build the seat to create the optimal riding position. Until I got the RDL on both bikes, I thought I needed J-Pegs on the LT and riding pegs and a different windshield on the GTLE. Not so, after the seat build...

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Apr 29th, 2017, 5:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Handleson View Post
After owning this bike for a year, I found the stock setup extremely lacking in the ergonomics. Granted, I've had 3 surgeries on my left knee and 2 on the right, but the leg locked position of the stock pegs is asinine. So, since I am locked in a motolease contract for at least another two years, I decided to make the bike something that fits my iron butt riding style. Added the Cee Bailey windshield, Darius floorboards, mickopegs and a Corbin seat. You would think that for a bike BMW touted as the "flagship" touring bike, it wouldn't take thousands of dollars to make it a comfortable cross country bike...or a bike that can be ridden more than 200 miles at a time without a need to take a Lortab afterwards.

I'm 6', 32" inseam and 230 lbs and find the stock ergonomics very good. My only addition to dat is a bead rider. The upright seating position allows me to have the weight of my legs on the pegs rather than on my tailbone as with the cruisers.

I can easily ride 500 mile days. I considered highway pegs, but after a few long rides decided they were unnecessary. Thankfully, my stock 57 year old knees are hanging in there.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old Apr 29th, 2017, 6:49 pm

How do the floorboards effect getting your feet down at a stop? It would seem troublesome to me, but I have not seen a set of those boards. Thanks
post #5 of 10 Old Apr 29th, 2017, 7:08 pm Thread Starter

The floorboards along with the lo-pro Corbin seat make stopping a non issue. Even with the stock seat, getting around the floorboards wasn't an issue. I'm 5' 11" 180lbs, 34" inseam. For anyone debating the Darius floorboards, go with the folding style. I have the solid and I find it way too easy to touch them in corners. Having solid floorboards hit the pavement in a turn is quite unnerving.

post #6 of 10 Old Apr 29th, 2017, 9:37 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Handleson View Post
The floorboards along with the lo-pro Corbin seat make stopping a non issue. Even with the stock seat, getting around the floorboards wasn't an issue. I'm 5' 11" 180lbs, 34" inseam. For anyone debating the Darius floorboards, go with the folding style. I have the solid and I find it way too easy to touch them in corners. Having solid floorboards hit the pavement in a turn is quite unnerving.

Unlike me, I hope you don't drop the LT, solid floor boards when they hit the ground snap off the eyelets on the side plate on either side it falls, no option but to buy another side plate, I still use mine I love them but it has cost me a few dollars in side plates.

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #7 of 10 Old Jun 30th, 2017, 9:25 am Thread Starter

I hit something on the highway that broke the top eyelet and bent the retaining pin. I wound up putting a zinc bolt and nut in place to hold me over and complete Run For The Wall. A few days later, I was tying crap down and pulled the bike off the center stand and dropped it on the same side. It wound up snapping the zinc bolt. I'm thinking I may buy another set and keep those for when I swap back to pegs (when I sell/trade in). Cut the other top off and put a bolt in so it snaps the bolt instead of breaking a $250 part...

post #8 of 10 Old Jun 30th, 2017, 9:56 pm
Super Moderator

All I have done is to add a Bill Mayer seat and a Bakup backrest and I can do an iron butt with no pain in butt, legs or knees . . .I think it was a combination of the seat and back rest that solved my issues as I have had L5 nerve issues.

I've been lucky in the knee area - tried jpegs and side boards - did not really help. Once I got the seat and wore it in sold the other stuff as it was not needed - - one last thing - on long rides I wear a Back-A-Line

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"

Last edited by dfinazzo; Jun 30th, 2017 at 10:26 pm.
post #9 of 10 Old Jun 30th, 2017, 11:28 pm

".................for when I swap back to pegs (when I sell/trade in). "

Travis, I agree with you on the factory ergonomics - I have a Corbin with backrest, the Cee Bailey Sport shield as well; and shop made foot pegs, mounted on the wings. I can do some long days in the saddle, especially with cruise control. FYI, when you decide to sell/trade in, get ready to take a beating on price, unless you got yours for a steal. The newer bikes ('05 and up) tend to bring a decent price, but after adding a bunch of farkles, you'll never get the investment back. I bought my 99 about 3 years ago, and can't get half what I have in it, even from a Beemer dealer ! It only has 39k mileage, and they offered me less than 3k on trade So, i'll just keep buying stuff for it and try not to scrape my pegs in those corners
post #10 of 10 Old Jul 2nd, 2017, 5:07 pm

In 2013 I did a long trip from Vancouver, BC Canada (Seattle, WA area) to San Francisco to Vegas to Death Valley to Hoover Dam to Grand Canyon to Moab and back home.

I've got the J-pegs, stock seat, slightly smaller windshield (replaced that with 26" much taller one now).

Anyhow, I found stock foot pegs seating position the most comfortable. Sure I like to use J-pegs on the highway on occasion but no good for a long time, I always revert back to stock seating position.

I'm 6'1" 200lbs.

2001 K1200LT mods incl 300w 10" subwoofer rear box, Clarion marine stereo, HID low beam, clear front signals w/led lighting, Motolights fork spotlights, LED taillight bulbs. Got it bent from accident PO and replaced rear subframe and other bits.
1994 Suzuki Intruder 1400 custom bars, corbin seat, HID headlight, LED tail, 6sigma jet kit, cobra exhaust, HD clutch springs. Rescued from rotting under a tree.
2004 Suzuki SV1000S double bubble windscreen, Yoshimura RS3 pipes no baffle, frame sliders, Michelin pilot powers, LED signals. This is Humpty Dumpty... when she falls over (crash) I fix her up again. Rebuilt from writeoff PO crashed. Complete front fairing and rear subrame rebuild.
2007 Suzuki SV650 naked with yoshimura RS3 exhaust, frame sliders. This is the wife's bike.
Owner at

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in