Be very careful in the fog - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 12:32 pm Thread Starter

Be very careful in the fog

This is my first opportunity to get on the site since attempting to ride to work Wed. 11/8/06. It was foggy that morning but managable. When I got to the stop sign heading east at the end of my road I stopped with my foot down and noted a southbound car on the main road I was getting ready to turn onto. It seemed to be moving a pretty good rate of speed. I was planning on making my left turn to head north once he crossed in front of me. Well instead of passing in front of me he suddenly made a slight veer and headed right for me. I did not have sufficient time to get out of his path and he hit me on the left side of the bike sending me and the bike on quite an unexpected journey into the curb and up against a telephone pole. I was very fortunate that I was not more severly injured. ATGATT had a big part in limiting my injuries. So far the tally is 2 cracked ribs on the left side, right ankle significantly strained but not broken, right knee suffered a couple of torn ligaments (surgery is 11/30/06).

When the Sheriff deputy questioned the driver of the car he stated he was following the white road shoulder line due to the fog ( he said his speed was approx 60 ). The white line takes a curve to the right near the intersection to set people up for the turning lane. He followed it and by the time he saw me he could not slow in time to avoid me.

Soooo. Be mindful in the fog. Look for an out all the time. I'm not sure I had enough time to utilize an out but the lesson is still valid.

Bike is totaled. And all my gear had to be cut off me by the ER folks. New bike and gear are in my near future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stopsign1.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	8260   Click image for larger version

Name:	stopsign.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	8261   Click image for larger version

Name:	bike1.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	8262   Click image for larger version

Name:	bike2.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	8263   Click image for larger version

Name:	bike5.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	8264  

Click image for larger version

Name:	bike3.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	8265   Click image for larger version

Name:	bike4.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	8266  

Pat Lynch
'07 K1200LT
'03 K1200LTE (Gone)
La Salle, MI
15 mi N. of Toledo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 12:44 pm

Wow, Pat - I'd say if y'all have a lottery, nowz a good time to pick up a number slip or two. Boy - he said he wuz doing 60!! Can't imagine being knocked for a loop at that speed!!

Glad you're able to take and post pics and share the details with us, Pat. Heal up for Turkey Day; get plenty of the dessert fixin's and good luck on the surgery.

Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlyirish
This is my first opportunity to get on the site since attempting to ride to work Wed. 11/8/06. It was foggy that morning but managable. When I got to the stop sign heading east at the end of my road I stopped with my foot down and noted a southbound car on the main road I was getting ready to turn onto. It seemed to be moving a pretty good rate of speed. I was planning on making my left turn to head north once he crossed in front of me. Well instead of passing in front of me he suddenly made a slight veer and headed right for me. I did not have sufficient time to get out of his path and he hit me on the left side of the bike sending me and the bike on quite an unexpected journey into the curb and up against a telephone pole. I was very fortunate that I was not more severly injured. ATGATT had a big part in limiting my injuries. So far the tally is 2 cracked ribs on the left side, right ankle significantly strained but not broken, right knee suffered a couple of torn ligaments (surgery is 11/30/06).

When the Sheriff deputy questioned the driver of the car he stated he was following the white road shoulder line due to the fog ( he said his speed was approx 60 ). The white line takes a curve to the right near the intersection to set people up for the turning lane. He followed it and by the time he saw me he could not slow in time to avoid me.

Soooo. Be mindful in the fog. Look for an out all the time. I'm not sure I had enough time to utilize an out but the lesson is still valid.

Bike is totaled. And all my gear had to be cut off me by the ER folks. New bike and gear are in my near future.
post #3 of 17 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 12:49 pm

Wow Pat!

Thanks for sharing the lesson...
Will be praying for a quick & complete healing for you amigo!

post #4 of 17 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 12:51 pm

Glad you were

not hurt any worse. Question:
Would a foglight on the rear of your bike have increased your visibility and helped in this situation.

Having been in a similar situation with only one cracked rib and bumped right foot i feel your pain

again wishing a quick recovery

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #5 of 17 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 12:58 pm
fas

Cool Fog Fun, NOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlyirish
It was foggy that morning but managable. When I got to the stop sign heading east at the end of my road I stopped with my foot down and noted a southbound car on the main road I was getting ready to turn onto. It seemed to be moving a pretty good rate of speed. I was planning on making my left turn to head north once he crossed in front of me. Well instead of passing in front of me he suddenly made a slight veer and headed right for me. I did not have sufficient time to get out of his path and he hit me on the left side of the bike sending me and the bike on quite an unexpected journey into the curb and up against a telephone pole. I was very fortunate that I was not more severly injured. ATGATT had a big part in limiting my injuries. So far the tally is 2 cracked ribs on the left side, right ankle significantly strained but not broken, right knee suffered a couple of torn ligaments (surgery is 11/30/06).

Pat,

Glad he managed to not kill you. Very kind of you to share the insight. Just because we see them does NOT mean they see us. Riding on 2 wheels since 1971, I strive to predict how they will attempt to hit me. My wife and I almost had your exact type problem with a young gal in a VW convertible. We were stopped at a stop sign waiting for her to clear the lane and she turned right at us. Not a good feeling when you are sitting there watching as they bear down on ya. Glad you are here to write about it.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #6 of 17 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 1:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiwan
Would a foglight on the rear of your bike have increased your visibility and helped in this situation.
I wouldn't think so. He was pointed east and the car was coming from the north.

But, I've wondered about a fog light to alert drivers coming up behind me. Isn't it a requirement for the Scandinavian countries? Would that be legal here in the US?

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE
post #7 of 17 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 2:40 pm

Ow! Know the feeling! Raven got totaled end of August - similar for me in that I had no chance whatsoever of getting out of the way, as he came too fast.

Glad you're ok 'cept for the ribs (Ow!). I got a busted foot, which still ain't healed. New LT in Spring, also.

Heal well. ATGATT

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #8 of 17 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 4:03 pm

Man, Pat... hope you get to feeling better soon and can start burning the "new stink" off a new LT even sooner!!!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #9 of 17 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 5:55 pm

Man - Talk 'bout a world changing event. Glad you made it out so well!!

Heal fast!

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #10 of 17 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 6:08 pm

Sorry to hear of the crash and very glad that your recovery is on its way. I would hope the investigating Deputy had the insight to ask why the driver was going 60 MPH in foggy conditions. It was evident he couldn't see that well or he would have realized long beforehand that he was at an intersection ..... the drivers' poor judgement could have been fatal. It did create fine fodder for your attorney ..... I would expect a civil action should easily fund a new LT and a bunch of other goodies. Get better soon.
post #11 of 17 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 6:11 pm

Three Questions

I ride in lots of fog, so I'm naturally curious about your collision.

1. It seems from your description that you were making a left-hand turn, and the other driver hit you broadside on your left. Is that right?

2. Was your left side blinker on?

3. If you could add a fog-marker light to prevent this, where would you put it?

Best of luck with your medical procedures - I wish you a very speedy recovery. Oh, and have fun shopping for the new bike and gear!
post #12 of 17 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 6:52 pm

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Man, that could have been much worse!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #13 of 17 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 7:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister
I wouldn't think so. He was pointed east and the car was coming from the north.

But, I've wondered about a fog light to alert drivers coming up behind me. Isn't it a requirement for the Scandinavian countries? Would that be legal here in the US?
Bill - my wife's cage, a Mercedes, has front driving lights and a rear fog lamp; each activated independently by a twist-knob on the dash. When she wuz commuting on IH-10 at 0-dark thirty every morning for a 20 mile stretch of road, she ran lit. Sez she never experienced an "aw sheet!!" tailgater; guess they noticed!

When riding Toad in the foggish mornings, I 'usually' turn on the 'emergency flasher'. Not sure if that would have helped Pat, cuz the cage dude said he wuz looking at the white line; prolly would have missed seeing the flashers.
post #14 of 17 Old Nov 21st, 2006, 6:14 am

I think you're right Dick, he wouldn't have seen the flashers in the back.

I've seen the rear fog lights used in Europe on cars. Maybe Woolly or Ari or one of the European guys can tell us what they do on LTs. We don't get too many foggy days here in STL but I was also thinking about some extra light during the rain and thunderstorms.

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE
post #15 of 17 Old Nov 21st, 2006, 3:01 pm

Pat

Holy Crapola!!! I'll bet that guy is related to the woman who almost (width of a gnat's ass hair...) took me out last night on the way home!! Thank GOD for ABS....that's all I gotta say!!

The bike pictures were sad....real sad!! Hope you and a replacement are back on the road real soon.

Patterson/USAF1....'05 LT
and the little guy behind me is the world famous "Marty Hill"
Never look into a lazer with the remaining eye
363K on BMW's
post #16 of 17 Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 9:00 am

Knee surgery - mine was done in 1976. Therapy will hurt, but it's worth every bit of pain to get you walking again. If that's the worst thing that happened to you with that kind of collision, you should consider yourself fortunate.

I used to have a T-shirt that said "If you don't limp, you ain't sh*t".

I guess having a cage clip my right mirror off last night (broken, not just popped off) and putting a scrape in my right knee armor while he was jockeying for lane choice at the toll booths - and then taking off - isn't so bad.

Everyone, please - stay alert and ride safe. And for those of us in northern climates, remember, cages don't realize there are still those of us who ride even when it gets cold, and they aren't looking for us.

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #17 of 17 Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 4:28 pm

Man

Yep officer... It was foggy and I couldn't see, so I just stared at the fog line.....
doing 60 mph?.. darn good thing the line didn't head into a bridge abutment, At least the motorcycle was a soft landing... MAN, I swear some people..

Maybe all cars should be banned and everyone has to ride a bike, at least we'd have a fighting chance. LOL.

Years ago I was in the passenger seat of my pa-inlaws cars. Sitting at an angled stop light.. Drunk dude tied to take the turn WAY to fast and hit us head on. Nothing like sitting there and watching the car.. 68 Caddy barreling down on you and you have nothing to hold onto.

I remember watching the front of the car fold up and then me hitting the windsheild.

Owww!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in