ABS & cold weather. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 7:21 am Thread Starter

ABS & cold weather.

Used the LT to ride to class this weekend. Pretty good in cold weather. Temps were 32 yesterdady morning and I thought what a good chance to check out the cold weather abilities of the bike. Gotta say, that's the best bike I've owned for cold weather protection. Wish the heat felt on feet in summer was as much in cold, but hey, can't have everything.

Did take the bike ouyt on range to try to get better with it. Invoked the ABS for the first time. My co coach used to have an LT and she said the ABS is like this. When you clamp down on it, it brakard, but when the ABS kicks in, it lets go of the brakes in an alarming way. that is normal? I thought maybe it would be more like my nissan pickup where it pulses quickly. The bike would brake, let go and brake again. Now it was stopping hard, but I want to make sure that is normal operation of the ABS.

And I got it down to the 24' box U turn. Got a ways to go to get theh 20'. but happy with that for now. THe slow speed stuff hasn't really been too much of an issue so far, but it is nice to be comfy with that stuff.

Rando
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 10:05 am

Yeah, it can seem to be a "violent" release.. and seem that it is "extending" your stopping distance.

I've come to realize ABS is my "friend", however, it is a friendship which must be managed. Here's why I make that statement.

Approaching the entrance to my neighborhood I engage the ABS often. Here is the layout. I cross a concrete bridge and just as the rear tire hits the steel expansion joint which is 'buckled" a bit at the edge, I get ABS. Within about 150' or so is a traffic light and the entrance on the left. It seems that ABS engage adds about 20' to my actual stopping distance at the 45 MPH I travel there.

Here' is the "learning part"... I learned to "ease" off the brake pressure so that the ABS doesn't engage on top of the bridge expansion joint... just like riding a machine "without" ABS...

I transitioned this "learned" skill to all my riding of my '05 LT. Where I "need" the extra directional control or manage traffic control I try to NOT allow the ABS to kick in.

There is no data I know of about how the ABS works on "bumpy" surfaces, but I still believe that in an agressive braking manuver the ABS will be a benefit in maintaining control while achieving maximum braking performance.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 11:13 am Thread Starter

Okay. At least I know what to expect now, even if I'm not wild abouthte actual operation. And yes, up til that "release" the LT is braking hard. So now to learn to modulate the brakes to avoid the ABS "release".

Thanks
Rando

post #4 of 9 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 11:20 am

I thought ABS wuz designed to 'release' the braking action at the immediate advent of a tire skidding?? Dunno for sure, tho. I've had the ABS release at very slow speeds approaching a stop sign/light, with no indication or feel that Toad wuz about to slide --- scared the peewaddin' outta me, tho, cuz I thought we were gonna kiss the cage's bumper.
post #5 of 9 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 11:26 am

The only time my ABS has activated I was going down hill towards a very busy street. I failed to anticipate the loose gravel just before the stop sign and had to really get on the brakes at the last moment. The ABS activated and I found myself in the middle of the street, luckily there was a break in the traffic. I had to pull over to compose myself.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 12:49 pm Thread Starter

That's a bit alarming that others have had more startling experiences. I guess in some situations it can be a life saver, but with the caveat that you may also extend your stopping distance when the ABS kicks in. I should really stay up on my threshold braking and try to stay out of the ABS.

Rando
post #7 of 9 Old Nov 21st, 2006, 5:12 am

But the reason that ABS kicked in is because the wheel locked up so if you didnt have ABS you would be a proud member of DA and looking around for someone to help you pick the bike up.

The reason the braking distance has increased is because the surface was slippery and there wasent enough traction to brake as hard as you would normaly.

It is always better not to have ABS kick in, but it is great to have it as back up.

Also ABS stops operating at about 5MPH

BobZ

99 K1200LT Burgundy (Canyon Red (new to me))
post #8 of 9 Old Nov 21st, 2006, 6:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rando
And I got it down to the 24' box U turn. Got a ways to go to get theh 20'. but happy with that for now. THe slow speed stuff hasn't really been too much of an issue so far, but it is nice to be comfy with that stuff.
24' is not so good my friend. I did consistent 18-20' U-Turns...but I did practice this on a regular basis. When teaching my friend Nancy how to ride, she thought that it would be impossible for her to do a 20' U-Turn on her Ninja 250. Once she saw me do an 18 footer on the LT, let's just say that she was much more motivated.

Keep practicing. Revs up (2K-ish), head up and turned (looking at exit point), a nice balance of slipping the clutch and your foot on the brake. NO front brake. Tada!
post #9 of 9 Old Nov 21st, 2006, 7:29 am Thread Starter

BobZ, yes I am aware that the ABS is there for a reason. This is my first ABS bike and it's just kinda odd how it operates, imo. I was doing stops in practice so I would know how it works and what to expect. It just really feels weiord to have it let up like that.

Joe, I am aware that 24' is not that good. But I have only had about 2K miles, most of which has not been requiring that. Last time I got a chance to be on range, I could barely get 28', so I am happy with 24. I had another coach tell me that it would do 18'. I might like to see that sometime. I realize that it is all technique and confidence in myself and the bike. I'll get there. I could do the Vstrom in 18', but the first few times were learning. The tight turns are as much a pride thing as anything. So far in the riding, I have had no issues with the LT wanting to tip oiver because I have been cautioius and used proper technique when needed. But I will learn to get the 20' box eventually. and yes on head up, rear brake, and no front. That's true for most anybike in that situation.

Now BMW just needs ADS - anti drop system to avoid the DA thing.... : )

THanks folks,
Rando

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in