K1200 LT Tire Rotation Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By Gino
  • 1 Post By azccj

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Apr 23rd, 2017, 8:07 pm Thread Starter

K1200 LT Tire Rotation Question

Hi,

I have a tire rotation question. I was just getting ready to install the new rear tire, a Shinko 777. As I was starting to bolt up the wheel to the hub, so I was standing facing the left side, I noticed the tire rotation arrow on the tire was going CW. It should be CCW correct?

Facing the bike on the right side, the front tire a Metzler has a direction of rotation of CW, if I take the rear tire off and flip it, the tire direction arrow would point CW as well, but the arrow would be on the right side, not the left.

Right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1200 LT rotation.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	125665  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Apr 23rd, 2017, 8:20 pm

Garage
Re: K1200 LT Tire Rotation Question

I always remember as (if mounted) "Arrow on top of tire points toward front of bike, arrow on bottom of tire points toward rear..."
Dick, nugtoperator and Tatonka82 like this.

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush
post #3 of 13 Old Apr 23rd, 2017, 8:41 pm

The easiest way to remember is when the motorcycle/car roll forward the arrow point toward the same direction, if it point the opposite or against the rotation direction chance are steel belts will separate and tire damage will occurred

Sent from my SGP312 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 13 Old Apr 23rd, 2017, 9:00 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Gents. My first tire mount has not gone well. Looks like I get to do it again.

Appreciate the help. BMW best forum ever.

Ride on Brothers.
post #5 of 13 Old Apr 23rd, 2017, 9:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatonka82 View Post
Thanks Gents. My first tire mount has not gone well. Looks like I get to do it again.

Appreciate the help. BMW best forum ever.

Ride on Brothers.
Somehow I managed to do that once. I also checked it 3 times before mounting it and still got it wrong.

Stronga wind, Stronga rain, Stronga saki

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 Old Apr 24th, 2017, 12:09 am

I've been changing my own motorcycle tires for 20 years now. I always draw a rotation arrow on the rim prior to removing the wheel from the bike. So far so good, I haven't mounted a tire the wrong direction yet.
cws likes this.

Current Bikes

2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2013 Suzuki Burgman 650, Ya it's a scooter but it will do over 100 MPH
2005 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R1150RT
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
post #7 of 13 Old Apr 24th, 2017, 1:09 am
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by azccj View Post
I've been changing my own motorcycle tires for 20 years now. I always draw a rotation arrow on the rim prior to removing the wheel from the bike. So far so good, I haven't mounted a tire the wrong direction yet.
I do that when I take the rim off to give it to a tyre shop to mount them... never trust anyone! (including yourself)

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #8 of 13 Old Apr 24th, 2017, 6:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by azccj View Post
I do almost the same thing except I draw my arrow with a magic marker on the brake disk where the calipers ride-- arrow gone after a few miles!
My K1600's have an arrow embossed into the rim but hard to see when the wheel is on the machine.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #9 of 13 Old Apr 24th, 2017, 8:20 am

This has been a question in my mind for some time now. One year ago, I installed a Hannigan trike kit on my K1200LT. Since then, I have had abnormal wear on the front tire. Am now on the second Metzler 880 tire with about 6,000 miles on it and is showing lots of wear on the center of the tire. I have read many threads and asked various "experts" about this subject and have gotten many different opinions about installing a rear tire mounted backwards on the front in order to reduce tire wear. The consensus of opinions is that the belts are installed opposite on the tire body due to the directional torque of the rear tire (driving force) being opposite of the front tire (braking force). Therefore, on a trike, one would be using the rear tire as a braking force only which is why it would be put it on backwards. So, what would be the harm to inadvertently mounting the rear tire in the wrong configuration? Except that maybe it would affect the braking. Many people, including myself, would argue that the manufacturer put that "directional arrow" on the tire for a good reason. And that is, they want that tire to rotate in that direction.
post #10 of 13 Old Apr 24th, 2017, 10:21 am

I wont go much into the construction of tires as I am not a tire engineer but they do manufacture motorcycle tires in a way that allows them to operate properly within stresses they encounter as in acceleration and a driving force for the rear and braking for the front and the direction of force applied in those instances are opposite so the tires are manufactured with those directional forces in mind hence the directional arrow and a front and rear designation. I have heard of people placing a rear on the front with a swap of direction but can't comment on the benefits.

I suspect that the accelerated wear in the center of the front tire may be due to additional scuff in corners as the bike no longer leans so all wear is now on the center and since the geometry is no longer the same, the forward motion in the turns translates to the front tire sliding sideways on the center every time you go into a corner. If the rubber compounds of rear tires is actually stronger than the front tire composition, you may find some benefit with a reversed rear on the front but a harder compound may also contribute to less overall grip so it may be a compromise. Many tires are made with a harder compound in the center for longevity and softer on the sides for corner adhesion. The difference if that the harder compound is not your friend on a trike as it was not made for being dragged sideways across the pavement but rolling straight. In a trike configuration, you are not able to take advantage of the softer tire sides for better grip. There may be a better tire ( front or rear) for you to use if you are looking for better mileage. Do some research and see as the front has many more offerings than the rear for load rating and speed. Hopefully I haven't grossly misstated some basic principals but it is my understanding of what may be going on.

Good luck in finding a better tire.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #11 of 13 Old Apr 28th, 2017, 4:38 pm
JWA

Garage

I believe that the main reason for tire rotation arrows is to keep the tire safe when riding in the rain.
Most tires, including the Metzelers, have a chevron pattern in the thread that must come down with the inner edge hitting the ground or water first and the outer edge last to allow the water to be pushed away from the center of the wheel. If you install it the other way, the tire rotation will force the water towards the center of the wheel and you will quickly lose traction (aqua-planning) at relatively low speed.
The aquaplaning risk also increases with thread wear when the arrow points in the right direction.
On dry pavement it probably makes minimal difference for most of the Sunday riders.

1999 K1200LT HL Basalt Grey/ Fleximum Sidecar
1983 Silverwing 650 leaner/1987 Velorex Sidecar
post #12 of 13 Old May 2nd, 2017, 12:21 pm

Rotation topic aside for a moment, I thought the Shinko 777 was Harley/Metric Cruiser tire? Is this an appropriate tire for the LT and are load/speed/temp ratings all acceptable?

I've had 3 LTs and it used to be only Bridgestone & Metzler made approved tires for the LT. I've been running Metzlers so long on LTs, that I havent really kept up, so there may be other options out there.

I do use a Shinko 244s on a dual sport of mine and find them to be a great tire for the price.

post #13 of 13 Old May 2nd, 2017, 12:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsonbob View Post
Rotation topic aside for a moment, I thought the Shinko 777 was Harley/Metric Cruiser tire? Is this an appropriate tire for the LT and are load/speed/temp ratings all acceptable?

I've had 3 LTs and it used to be only Bridgestone & Metzler made approved tires for the LT. I've been running Metzlers so long on LTs, that I havent really kept up, so there may be other options out there.

I do use a Shinko 244s on a dual sport of mine and find them to be a great tire for the price.

There is a size Shinko 777 HD with reinforced sidwalls that some have used although it isn't a V speed rating as is the original spec, depending on your normal load and usage, it could be an option. Here is a good review from someone on the forum on the 777 HD.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...-01-front.html

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in