• 2 Post By gorm5
  • 2 Post By CharlieVT
  • 4 Post By CharlieVT
  • 1 Post By bmwriderm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Apr 23rd, 2017, 10:05 am Thread Starter

LT praise

hey all;

quick update. im sure you have all heard this a million times, then one more wont hurt.
I have driven my 16 rt now for over 21000 miles since June, i go and back and forth between RT and LT
I just got back on the Lt for a few weeks and still after ALL the miles it is still the BEST.
here is how i explain it. the RT is like a M3, fast, handles like on rails, light, fun
The LT is like the 655, same as above but smoooooth. Case in point, I came into a left hand corner and hit the pegs at the same time a semi was turning sharper than i thought, so I just leaned more and the side stand now a some good scrape marks.Hopefully you can see the pic. I JUST went on my merry way. This is why the LT is a phenomenal bike, you forget that it is a heavy motorcycle. BMW just got it right. OK. Im done for now. Both GREAT motorcycles but the LT WOW.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-04-21 12.43.04.jpg (1.88 MB, 135 views)

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Apr 24th, 2017, 3:54 pm

Re: LT praise

I understand. The LT is a stupidly heavy bike - until the wheels start turning.
I have an R1150RT I use for going to work so I understand your comparison.

All bikes are good. A recent favourite, which I had to sell because I had too many bikes was a Harley Davidson MT350. (Thread Drift Warning)
Look up the MT350 (with panniers and rifle case) - It was a real fun bike and easy to maintain. (Not available in the USA, only available in olive green).

But back to the subject. Even though it is now some 15 years old, the LT is still a very valid touring bike. It works.
radar41 likes this.
post #3 of 15 Old Apr 24th, 2017, 10:44 pm

I'm a big LT fan myself, had 3, still have one, plus a GTL, GS and few others.

But what the heck is a 655??

post #4 of 15 Old Apr 25th, 2017, 6:35 am

The 6 series is the BMW Gran Touring coupe.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #5 of 15 Old Apr 25th, 2017, 10:18 am

I have not owned that many bikes, but the LT easily has the best brakes and handling I have personally experienced. It is exactly what I was hoping for when I decided I wanted a bike more suited to riding long distances in comfort. There's no other bike I would replace it for right now. Eventually, I will likely get a 1600GTL but am in no rush whatsoever.
radar41 and bmwriderm like this.

Patrick Russell
I live and ride in Illinois, which has some of the straightest roads in the country.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 Bluish Honda CB 650 (retired)
1986 Red Honda Nighthawk 450 (abandoned)
Didn't own a bike from 1999 to 2012
1997 Black Honda Valkyrie (still own)
2005 Ocean Blue BMW K1200LT "Apocalypse" (bought in March '16)

IBA Saddlesore 1000

Bucket List destinations:
Sturgis (maybe)
Nova Scotia
Pacific Coast highway
post #6 of 15 Old Apr 25th, 2017, 7:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorm5 View Post
I have not owned that many bikes, but the LT easily has the best brakes and handling I have personally experienced. It is exactly what I was hoping for when I decided I wanted a bike more suited to riding long distances in comfort. There's no other bike I would replace it for right now. Eventually, I will likely get a 1600GTL but am in no rush whatsoever.
The GTL handles and brakes even better than the LT and accelerates much better and has a better clutch.

Unfortunately, for two-up LD comfort, it falls well short of the LT, particularly for the passenger. And the driveline is not nearly as refined with clunky shifts and lots of driveline slop that makes smooth riding in the first three gears a challenge. I found it much easier to pull in the clutch when I needed to slow down while riding in town. Closing and opening the throttle was just too jerky unless you really, really concentrated on moving the throttle very slowly. Much easier to pull the clutch and use the brakes to slow and then engage the flutch to accelerate. On my LT, I can use engine braking fairly smoothly even in second and third gear. First can still be a challenge, but much easier then the GTL in third gear,

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 Old Apr 25th, 2017, 9:03 pm

Wink Re: LT praise

Quote:
Originally Posted by james216 View Post
The 6 series is the BMW Gran Touring coupe.
Thanks. yes, i am familiar with the 640/645/650s, in coupe, convertible and Grand Coupe'.

It was the "55" in 655 that threw me. Wondered if there was new 4 wheel model I somehow missed.

Last edited by clawsonbob; Apr 25th, 2017 at 10:06 pm.
post #8 of 15 Old Apr 25th, 2017, 10:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
The GTL handles and brakes even better than the LT and accelerates much better and has a better clutch.

Unfortunately, for two-up LD comfort, it falls well short of the LT, particularly for the passenger. And the driveline is not nearly as refined with clunky shifts and lots of driveline slop that makes smooth riding in the first three gears a challenge. I found it much easier to pull in the clutch when I needed to slow down while riding in town. Closing and opening the throttle was just too jerky unless you really, really concentrated on moving the throttle very slowly. Much easier to pull the clutch and use the brakes to slow and then engage the flutch to accelerate. On my LT, I can use engine braking fairly smoothly even in second and third gear. First can still be a challenge, but much easier then the GTL in third gear,
Agreed. My wife absolutely loves the LT, which is really saying something since she's not that crazy about motorcycles. I rented a 1600GTL for a week back in 2014. Very nice! Sooooo fast and it had most of the wheel (handlebar) options that my wife's BMW has. I think you rode yours much harder than I did (I did lots of easy coastal riding and took the interstate to Disney World), so I didn't notice the driveline issues much. A couple of years later when I decided to get a second bike, I looked into both the LT and the GTL. The exact LT I wanted was $6500. The absolute cheapest GTL I could find was 14-15K. Very easy choice and I don't regret it one bit.

Patrick Russell
I live and ride in Illinois, which has some of the straightest roads in the country.

1984 Bluish Honda CB 650 (retired)
1986 Red Honda Nighthawk 450 (abandoned)
Didn't own a bike from 1999 to 2012
1997 Black Honda Valkyrie (still own)
2005 Ocean Blue BMW K1200LT "Apocalypse" (bought in March '16)

IBA Saddlesore 1000

Bucket List destinations:
Sturgis (maybe)
Nova Scotia
Pacific Coast highway
post #9 of 15 Old Apr 28th, 2017, 6:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorm5 View Post
Agreed. My wife absolutely loves the LT, .
This seems to be something of a consistent theme. The rear seat experience of the LT appears to be far better than the K1600.
I had an enjoyable test drive of a K1600 but the comments from the rear left me in no doubt about which bike we would be touring on in the future.

So domestic harmony decrees that I put a certain amount of money into K1200 maintenance rather than very large sums into K1600 purchase,
post #10 of 15 Old Apr 28th, 2017, 9:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimbler View Post
This seems to be something of a consistent theme. The rear seat experience of the LT appears to be far better than the K1600.
I had an enjoyable test drive of a K1600 but the comments from the rear left me in no doubt about which bike we would be touring on in the future.

So domestic harmony decrees that I put a certain amount of money into K1200 maintenance rather than very large sums into K1600 purchase,
Or you can put a very large sum into a GTL and then several not insignificant sums into a new windshield, seat and wind deflectors.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #11 of 15 Old Apr 29th, 2017, 1:22 pm

I still haven't found a bike that I think we'd like better than our 2000 K1200LT Icon.
I keep reading ride reports, checking the new offerings, nothing entices.
I'd write the check for a Honda, BMW, even HD or Indian if the "next K1200LT" was available.
BMW offers the best hope, Honda not far behind.
I'd take the K1200LT, shave a few pounds (start by removing the audio speakers), lower the Center of Gravity, keep the pillion weather protection, keep the pleasing styling (forget the Japanesque Dragonball-Z comic book styling that found its way into the K1600s).
From what I know, it isn't available yet.

Yes, the K1200LT is remarkable. Here's a ride report from a while back:http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...ml#post1426322

I think we'll go for a ride right now...
Voyager and Mark65 like this.
post #12 of 15 Old Apr 29th, 2017, 2:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT View Post
I still haven't found a bike that I think we'd like better than our 2000 K1200LT Icon.
I keep reading ride reports, checking the new offerings, nothing entices.
I'd write the check for a Honda, BMW, even HD or Indian if the "next K1200LT" was available.
BMW offers the best hope, Honda not far behind.
I'd take the K1200LT, shave a few pounds (start by removing the audio speakers), lower the Center of Gravity, keep the pillion weather protection, keep the pleasing styling (forget the Japanesque Dragonball-Z comic book styling that found its way into the K1600s).
From what I know, it isn't available yet.

Yes, the K1200LT is remarkable. Here's a ride report from a while back:http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...ml#post1426322

I think we'll go for a ride right now...
I agree 100%.

If I had to buy a new bike today, it would be a GTLE and I would add the Aeroflow bits and hope for the best. Since I don't have to move away from my LT today, I am continually monitoring new bikes also. The rumors about the next wing are intriguing, but I have reason to really not want another Honda product. Yet, if the next wing is a better LT than the GTLE, I will hold my nose and write a check.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #13 of 15 Old Apr 29th, 2017, 2:30 pm

I agree that the LT to date is the most comfortable touring bike on the road especially for two up travel. I also have been waiting for some manufacturer to produce a bike that meets the LT's touring qualities. Unfortunately the bikes end up costing over $30K by the time you cure all the deficiencies.

I know the K1600 bagger that is due out in September is hoping to attract a whole new group of riders that will want to buy this bike. I'm interested because they say the base model will be $20K. So add $5000 in packages and farkles and hopefully I'll have my LT replacement. Now, that is only if the stock seats are two up comfortable, wind protection is good without adding windshields, wings or other air deflecting gadgets, the bike corners like the LT (not sure what frame geometry changes to lower the bike will do to handling). Also will it be able to have a top box.(see picture I attached which shows a rendering of one with a top box). If the bagger is just cosmetic to attract a new crowd and doesn't address my issues then the LT will stay in my garage. I guess its all speculation until we test ride one of these bikes. So unless the bagger test ride I take makes me say wow I love this bike like I say every time I take the LT out then sorry BMW you missed the mark.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pict...x6X1nkaXOFAMM:

Scott
2007 LT
post #14 of 15 Old Apr 29th, 2017, 4:54 pm

Re: LT praise and Ride Report

We're back from our ride. And the World's Greatest Pillion Rider (WGPR) is having a sneezing fit. We must have ridden through a pollen cloud. The KLT doesn't have a HEPA filter?

Only the second time the LT has been out this year. 500 Maple taps pulled, tanks, tubing, and evaporator cleaned and put away for next year. Mud season largely behind us. Time to flex the LT. I back it out of the bike bay in the barn. Can't remember the last time I washed it. I wipe the dust off the mirrors with gloved fingers, ah... that's better.

We head out on our favorite loop, but decide to reverse our usual direction, starting on the fast section. Rte 9 west toward Marlboro and Wilmington. This is a road I know well. Sweet sweepers on good road surface with several passing lanes. But yikes! Where did all these cars come from? Slow pace to the first climbing lane just west of town; the passing lane starts with a fun right hand sweeper; I annoyingly tailgate the car ahead of me as we approach the double climbing lanes. I tap the left knee of the world's greatest pillion rider to let her know the throttle and a pass is coming; she pats my waist in acknowledgement. This is the first real roll on of the throttle this season. A line of several cars ahead with limited length to the climbing lane; we pass a few cars but some remain ahead of us so we settle in for the next several sweepers and a mile or two before the next chance. The next zone is the best and longest on the climb to the Hogback Mtn. scenic over look, we have a chance to get to the head of the line. Roll on throttle through the first big sweeper of the climb and then get all but one of the cars on the straight away. An E-something black Mercedes I'm just not going to get to. I check the tach, Oh! it's at 8... surprised I didn't hit the rev-limiter.

The Mercedes is doing a pretty good pace so I'm comfortable and wait for the next passing lane. We pass the Mercedes, round a couple of curves and deja vue, there's another black E-something Mercedes in front of us exactly like the one we just passed. Shades of the Twilight Zone I think. After the second Mercedes disappears in my mirrors the road is open to Marlboro and the defunct Hogback ski area beyond.

The LT sails over the mountain and down into Wilmington where we turn south on Rte 100. This section of Rte 100 to is rather sterile, lacking linked sweepers and no twisties either. We then turn to really rural roads, up to Gates Pond and Reed Hill Rd over to Halifax.

We come up behind a real swamp yankee vehicle, an old Bronco or Blazer, mud all over the sides, both driver and passenger doors missing. A tap on WGPR's knee to alert her for the pass and buzz past them. We pass an old farm which has very piece of equipment ever used on the property for the past 200 years. Horse drawn sickle bar mower, dump rake, more modern hay rakes, tedders, bailers, plows, etc. A veritable rusting museum by the side of the road.

In Halifax we turn toward home on Brook Rd and Green River Road. Ah, the twisties. Here the gear box is 3 or occasionally 4 and the tach is 5 and 6. No scrapping, just the occasional touch of the boot to the pavement. I try to keep it smooth for the World's Greatest Pillion Rider: keep the drive line loaded, no banging back and forth through the drive line lash... easy feathering on the brakes into the turn, easy roll on the throttle at the apex. Think smooth, think fast. Once I lost my line and corrected, I felt her knee tighten against my hip, reacting to my error; oops, sorry for the distraction I think. In my earbuds the Gordon Lightfoot album is finished and Eric Clapton has started; the change in music must have affected my rhythm in the twisties.

I'm not sure what WGPR does back there. She used to listen to her Kindle but she dropped in getting off in a paved parking lot once and that was the end of it. I just imagine she is back there having the kind of experience a dog does sticking its head out the open window of a car, simply enjoying the ride. Occasionally I tap her knee and point out a lonely horse in a field, a group of Jersey's grazing; she likes the animals.

A young girl in pink shorts is checking the family mailbox as we approach. She waves enthusiastically and smiles a big smile as we quietly zip past. We of course wave back.

We do a mile or so of hard pack dirt road. Glad mud season is behind us, this section can be really "greasy" in mud season. But the LT is great on dirt and gravel roads. I do get a little anxiety doing U-turns when exploring hill top dead end roads where we have to turn around on a single lane gravel hill.

Our 17 year old LT runs like new. The bike never labors, it just casually humms, no matter what I choose to dial up. I should get those Ohlins rebuilt though, I've been putting that off too long; maybe next winter.

That's my LT praise and ride report on the world's greatest touring bike with the World's Greatest Pillion Rider. Thanks for reading.
Dick, Hilton, sailor and 1 others like this.
post #15 of 15 Old Apr 29th, 2017, 8:39 pm

We love are Y2K Canyon Red LT. Had her for 12yrs now 20k on odometer at purchase will roll over 100k this season. I'm totally satisfied with the big girl. No other bike makes me jealous yet!!! Good to see some LT stories on here again.
Hilton likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in