MOS 2 Antifriction Engine Treatment - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Nov 19th, 2006, 7:58 pm Thread Starter

MOS 2 Antifriction Engine Treatment

OK all you engineer and gearheads has anyone ever used MOS 2 additive in the oil or gear box of the LT? I belong to the GMC motorhome forum and some people swear by it so I wondered if we could use it in the BMW. I haven't any experience with it so any input would be helpfull.
Here is the web site:
store.interautopartssd.com/
Take a look and see what you think.
Mike Burke
2000 LT new to me
coastal N.C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 5:30 pm

Not sure, serious doubts

My take on all of these additives, slick-50, teflon, super snake oil, etc. is that if any of them really made some significant difference there would be good data to support their use. Maybe they do improve mileage; maybe they do decrease engine wear. But who's to say that they don't do the opposite, they just dilute otherwise perfectly good oil. Or they have no real benefit, do no harm and really amount to an unnecessary expense.

I'll settle for changing the oil reasonably frequently, using good oil, and being real careful not to get grit, grime, dust, or crud into the crankcase during an oil change. (How clean is that funnel?)

I doubt there is any really good research on the stuff, just manufacturer's claims, and personal testimony (which I take with a grain of salt because it is so subjective. Hey, my bike runs smoother and has more power after I change the oil and wash it).

Oh, except Marvel Mystery Oil. Now that is good stuff. Neat paint job on the can. You can add it to the gas tank and put it in the crankcase. Cleans injectors and quiets valves. I am being a little facetious here, but I do truly have a can of the stuff around here.
post #3 of 7 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 5:44 pm

Moly in a gearbox as an extreme pressure agent is usually a good thing, but most top grade synthetic gear oils already contain plenty of EP additive.

I would have great reservation about putting a solid suspension of moly in a motor oil that passes through filtering media. Even if it's colloidal, it can still "clump" and blind the filter over time.

The LT motor internals are very robust. With proper oil grade, quality, and service interval, the thing should and will last 200K miles at a minimum. Its more likely you will tire of the bike before you ever wear out the drivetrain.

post #4 of 7 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 7:01 pm

AMSOIL does not recommend any additives of any kind to be added to their products. They are already formulated to be the best and really don't want their customers to play chemist with their products. Other oil companies may or may not feel the same.

I would advise against using a friction reducing agent in the engine oil. The starter sprague clutch seems to be touchy as to what comes in contact with it. It could make your starter spin without engaging. This could be pretty expensive to tear into and replace. You might be OK to use it in the transmission, but you might not also. Is it worth the risk?
post #5 of 7 Old Nov 21st, 2006, 6:22 am

I think I'd have to have a pretty compelling reason to add the stuff. And some pretty good proof that it would specifically help with the problem. I don't think I'd add it just because "the guys on the GMC motorhome site swear by it".

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE
post #6 of 7 Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 10:23 pm Thread Starter

Thanks guys thats what I was looking for some objective opinions.
Think I'll keep digging to see what else I can find out.
Thanks again
Mike
2000 LT new to me
Coastal N.C.
post #7 of 7 Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 10:15 am

Thumbs down slicker 50

I have an associate that used to market Slick-50. he had the cut out Briggs and Stratton engine mounted on the trunk of his car and all. he would start it up with no oil of any kind in the oil pan. It was impressive, but to me it seemed to good to be true and I wondered where the catch was.
Someone on another site (which I have lost with my new computer) posted a link to a report From B&S about Slick-50 and their engines. The high points I remember are this.
They reported that their engines will and have run for in excess of 25 hr with no oil or additives ever being added to engine.
They examined the rings and pistons as well as the walls they rub against and they reported uneven wear and scoring with burning and deposits on the walls.

I do not want to risk any such damage to the engines

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in