8Likes
  • 2 Post By Axle
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 3 Post By SmokinJoe
  • 2 Post By beech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Apr 15th, 2017, 4:23 pm Thread Starter

Dead KLT

The kill switch position made no different today as my 2006 K1200 wouldn't start. NOTHING!!!! No starter or fuel pump action. Just checked the fuses and they all seemed fine. Did I cook kill switch or worse, the starter? Here's why I say that.

This past Sunday while out in the garage i snagged the wire from the plugged in BMW battery charger as I opened the seat or side case I forget exactly. The charger toppled and fell about a foot before I realized what had happened. Smelling smoke I looked down and saw I had a short in the battery charger and immediately unplugged it from the bike. I hadn't attempted to start the KLT until today thinking no harm had been done and I caught the smoking charger in time.

Now I'm scratching my head on what to do next, short of calling a BMW dealer to come pick it up. $$$$$. Big trip planned in July so I'd like to get some riding in before then.

Appreciate all comments and any advice on this one. Thanks so much!

GoldRush
'06 K1200LT - As of March 2017!
'05 K1200LT - RIP - (totaled 7/8/08)
Former Yankee Beemer Member
Former BMWMOA Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Apr 15th, 2017, 6:01 pm

Re: Dead KLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldRush View Post
The kill switch position made no different today as my 2006 K1200 wouldn't start. NOTHING!!!! No starter or fuel pump action. Just checked the fuses and they all seemed fine. Did I cook kill switch or worse, the starter? Here's why I say that.

This past Sunday while out in the garage i snagged the wire from the plugged in BMW battery charger as I opened the seat or side case I forget exactly. The charger toppled and fell about a foot before I realized what had happened. Smelling smoke I looked down and saw I had a short in the battery charger and immediately unplugged it from the bike. I hadn't attempted to start the KLT until today thinking no harm had been done and I caught the smoking charger in time.

Now I'm scratching my head on what to do next, short of calling a BMW dealer to come pick it up. $$$$$. Big trip planned in July so I'd like to get some riding in before then.

Appreciate all comments and any advice on this one. Thanks so much!
If you fried the kill switch, you should be able to smell that up close so give it a sniff. Immediately, I would double check fuse #9 ( 10A) for the load shed relay and the engine electronics relay fuse #2 (10a). I don't know if the 06 has the same function as the non LCD dash but on the earlier ones, the engine temp light or indicator is on with all interlocks met such as side stand up, in neutral, kill switch in center. There may be a similar display on the LCD dash but I am not sure. Flicking the kill switch would cause the indicator to go out as an indication of function or not. Without taking things apart, Not sure what else to have you check.

Where did it short out and to what if you can tell us.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Apr 15th, 2017, 6:40 pm

Garage

looking at a fuse is not checking it, use an ohm meter on every fuse, possibly you stuffed the battery check its voltage with the volt/ohm meter you should be using to fault find.
Patric and beech like this.

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT

post #4 of 11 Old Apr 15th, 2017, 6:47 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the help.

I tried swapping #2 and #9 10A fuses. No change.

I was reading in the Clymer about the start relay replacement. Could be the problem. I've seen this as a fix with automobiles. i know it is a lot of work to get to it with all the plastic, etc., but I'd be up to the task as I did the plastic removal before on my '05.

Where did it short out and to what? if you can tell us.

The charger was smoking after being disturbed. Not sure if anything shorted out but it might have. It was plugged into the front power outlet at the time.

One other thing, on Sunday I added a 6-disc cd player that I had pulled from my '05 that had been sitting on a shelf since '08. Not sure if that might have disturbed something.

Appreciate the help and have a good weekend!!

GoldRush
Former BMWMOA Member
post #5 of 11 Old Apr 15th, 2017, 7:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

You have checked the battery voltage, right?
vernvernvern likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 Old Apr 15th, 2017, 7:47 pm

Quote:
Thanks for the help.

I tried swapping #2 and #9 10A fuses. No change.

I was reading in the Clymer about the start relay replacement. Could be the problem. I've seen this as a fix with automobiles. i know it is a lot of work to get to it with all the plastic, etc., but I'd be up to the task as I did the plastic removal before on my '05.

Where did it short out and to what? if you can tell us.

The charger was smoking after being disturbed. Not sure if anything shorted out but it might have. It was plugged into the front power outlet at the time.

One other thing, on Sunday I added a 6-disc cd player that I had pulled from my '05 that had been sitting on a shelf since '08. Not sure if that might have disturbed something.

Appreciate the help and have a good weekend!!
Not sure the starter relay would keep the fuel pump from priming. The schematic is not as descriptive as I would like but a guess would be fuse 1 in fuse box 1 that feeds two things called socket connectors. It is a 15A fuse which would make sense for an accessory plug that might be heating clothing and such. It is a directly fused always hot line so a short at the plug should blow the fuse easily. That in itself would not keep the bike from starting or running so it has to be something else. Some deeper diagnostics will be necessary.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #7 of 11 Old Apr 16th, 2017, 5:57 am Thread Starter

Yes to checking the battery voltage.

GoldRush
Former BMWMOA Member
post #8 of 11 Old Apr 16th, 2017, 9:31 am Thread Starter

Smile Re: Dead KLT

Quote:
Yes to checking the battery voltage.
After charging all night with the leads clipped directly to the battery, PRESTO, the K started right up. Big relief.

Up to yesterday afternoon, I had been charging through the driver BMW power outlet and vaguely remember when I had my '05 that I found that directly connected to the battery was the only way to keep the charge full.

Thanks for all you help. IT IS REALLY APPRECIATED. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions on other related topics.

Happy Easter!

GoldRush
Former BMWMOA Member
post #9 of 11 Old Apr 16th, 2017, 9:46 am

Lightbulb Re: Dead KLT

Quote:
I'm sure I'll be back with more questions on other related topics.
Happy Easter to you too! Here is one more tip: Get a new battery if it is older than three years as your current one going flat dead is not good for it.
Patric, vernvernvern and beech like this.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #10 of 11 Old Apr 16th, 2017, 11:16 am

Put a pigtail on your battery and then use it for battery charging. Or an DIN socket direct to battery (with an inline fuse) and use it for your charging, heated clothes and air pump. And you need a good battery charger now. Here is one that detects type of battery and carefully maintains it. You can leave it hooked up when not using the bike. Do not buy a dealer battery, too expensive.
https://www.amazon.com/TM-141DUAL-Op...attery+charger
cws and Voyager like this.

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #11 of 11 Old Apr 16th, 2017, 11:49 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech View Post
Put a pigtail on your battery and then use it for battery charging. Or an DIN socket direct to battery (with an inline fuse) and use it for your charging, heated clothes and air pump. And you need a good battery charger now. Here is one that detects type of battery and carefully maintains it. You can leave it hooked up when not using the bike. Do not buy a dealer battery, too expensive.
https://www.amazon.com/TM-141DUAL-Op...attery+charger
Yep, I installed an SAE plug pigtail and it is easy to connect my BatteryMINDer when I don't plan for ride for a week or more.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in