Gel Battery drained flat, twice! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Nov 19th, 2006, 6:50 am Thread Starter

Question Gel Battery drained flat, twice!

Two times I goofed, I left my GPS and radar detector powered up on the LT, without the battery tender plugged in.

The first time I did this I was impressed that the battery came back to full cranking power after being on the battery tender.

Well, I have done it again and the Battery Tender is working as I write here.
(And you don't need to tell me I need to get these accessories on a switched circuit. In spite of warnings to myself to not forget to unplug, I forgot. Yeah, I need to put this stuff on switched.)

Anyone done this before with the BMW Gel? What are the odds I'll need to go get a new battery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Nov 19th, 2006, 8:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
What are the odds I'll need to go get a new battery?
Probably not right away..but it definately shortens the life of a battery to do that.
post #3 of 8 Old Nov 19th, 2006, 9:20 am

Don't know if you'll need a new battery, but I can tell you that using a Battery Tender to revive a completely dead Gel battery is not the best tool for the job. I burned up a Battery Tender doing just that. What you really need to do is put that dead Gel battery on a 2A/10A battery charger and leave it connected over-night on the 2A setting.

post #4 of 8 Old Nov 19th, 2006, 9:31 am

Quote:
...(And you don't need to tell me I need to get these accessories on a switched circuit. In spite of warnings to myself to not forget to unplug, I forgot. Yeah, I need to put this stuff on switched.)
I want my Garmin on a non-switched, always powered source - On long trips I want to see ALL my times, running and stopped!

Quote:
Anyone done this before with the BMW Gel? What are the odds I'll need to go get a new battery?
If you were able to get the Battery Tender to engage...IE: show a Non-flashing red light at plug-in, there is enough poop in the battery that it should recover ok. The problem seems to be when you cross that line to extremely low voltage. Good luck!

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old Nov 19th, 2006, 6:20 pm

I've run my Odyssey totally flat at least 3 times now.

Joe's right on the money on the recovery plans - matches what Odyssey says on their web site as well.

Sucker keeps on going and going and going.

Yea, gotta put a relay in my farkle feed line.

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #6 of 8 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 6:09 am Thread Starter

It took a licking but it keeps on ticking.

Thanks for the replys, guys. Success!

The battery tender would not go into charge mode, so I plugged in an old el'cheapo trickle charger I have. It is a 12volt, requlated maxium 1 amp "trickle" charger. I hooked up a voltmeter to the battery just to make sure voltages never went too high; they didn't.

After one night on the trickle charger, I put the Battery Tender Plus back on it. After a couple of days the Battery Tender went in to maintenance mode. The BT got rather hot during this period so I unplugged it for a period to let it cool. The BT seems to have survived the ordeal; the battery seems to have survived too since it now cranks the bike right up.

I am aware that the battery has lost some of its life, but for now it is back. In my experience an old wet lead-acid would not have come back from this.
post #7 of 8 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 2:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Talking

Snip gotta put a relay in my farkle feed line

Hi , when I put a GPS ( I-way 500c )on my bike , I powered it up with a relay . I thought that way I wouldn't forget and leave it on .

But I didn't like it , if I wanted to play with the GPS , I had to either have the key on . So Then I'm setting there with the head light on , running the battery down . You really don't want to do that very long , as the ABS doesn't like a battery that isn't fully charged . ( Or I had to have the bike running , and I didn't like that either . )

Then when I start the bike the GPS would shut down ( I had used the power to the seat heater for the switch to the relay ) . So then I would need to start the GPS up again . It was a PIA
Hope this is of some help ...Patric ...

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #8 of 8 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 7:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Don't know if you'll need a new battery, but I can tell you that using a Battery Tender to revive a completely dead Gel battery is not the best tool for the job. I burned up a Battery Tender doing just that. What you really need to do is put that dead Gel battery on a 2A/10A battery charger and leave it connected over-night on the 2A setting.
Joe is correct. The BMW gel charger will not event start the charge cycle if the battery is below a certain voltage. That's why a dumb charger would work better.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in