RS Mirrors - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Nov 19th, 2006, 12:45 am Thread Starter

Question RS Mirrors

I hear this is the best way to go for a mirror upgrade. Does anyone have any pics and a part number for the mirrors for my 2003 LT. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Nov 19th, 2006, 9:26 am

Many have done this, but I really think it looks stupid having two sets of mirrors. I solved the issue with a pair of 1.5" adjustable blindspot mirrors. I put them on the top inside-corner of each mirror, and it worked great. And the total cost was $2.
post #3 of 15 Old Nov 19th, 2006, 9:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Many have done this, but I really think it looks stupid having two sets of mirrors. I solved the issue with a pair of 1.5" adjustable blindspot mirrors. I put them on the top inside-corner of each mirror, and it worked great. And the total cost was $2.
You can see the fuzz at distance with the RS mirrors as well as vehicles directly behind you. Oh yeah, I like to be able to see my trailer as well... makes backing it up a cinch.

Can't do that for $2.

Plus, I'll now be able to see Joe sneaking up behind me on his new Concours.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

post #4 of 15 Old Nov 19th, 2006, 10:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
You can see the fuzz at distance with the RS mirrors as well as vehicles directly behind you.
One doesn't have to worry about "the fuzz" when one rides like a respectable adult. Or...so I've heard.
post #5 of 15 Old Nov 19th, 2006, 1:38 pm
RMW

Here is what they look like. Sorry, I do not know the part number.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Best Mirrors.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	8247   Click image for larger version

Name:	mirrors front view.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	8248   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mirrors Side view.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	8249  

Ron Wilkerson
05 LT
07 KLR
09 GSA
post #6 of 15 Old Nov 19th, 2006, 3:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdfan
I hear this is the best way to go for a mirror upgrade. Does anyone have any pics and a part number for the mirrors for my 2003 LT. Thanks
In case you haven't found the part numbers yet, I pulled these from the 'Parts Numbers' list on the Accessories page.

The following part numbers are for the 2002 Oval RS mirrors that will fit in the LT handle bars

511 676 537 73 Left mirror
511 676 537 74 Right mirror
511 623 696 07 washers
511 623 282 87 nuts

Best
post #7 of 15 Old Nov 19th, 2006, 5:47 pm
Gold Supporter

Do the RS mirrors block your view of the factory mirrors at all?

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 15 Old Nov 19th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff
Not for me (6'1"). I suppose it's possible that for someone very tall or very short there might be an issue but I don't see how. They pretty much line up side-by-side for me. That's hard to believe based on the photos by Ron, above, but it does work that way.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #9 of 15 Old Nov 19th, 2006, 8:15 pm

Mine had them on when I bought the bike. I thought it looked real goofy with 4 mirrors too. I only rode 20 miles before putting them back on.

Doug
'05 K1200LT,
My dog is very selective where he will pee, yet he will poop anywhere. In that regard; we couldn’t be more different.
post #10 of 15 Old Nov 19th, 2006, 9:26 pm
RMW

BTW,

If you have or anticipate having a BMW type PTT switch you will need to do a little noodling on how you are going to get both devices in that left side mirror hole. Takes a little grinding and modifying of the stock PTT mounting bracket but you can get both on there nicely.

Ron Wilkerson
05 LT
07 KLR
09 GSA
post #11 of 15 Old Nov 19th, 2006, 10:51 pm

For arguments sake a couple of things that have not been mentioned before: the RS mirrors will make the LT wider as they extend beyond the handlebar and the factory mirrors. Also, they are - IMHO - just as much a compromise as the factory mirrors, albeit for a different reason: their close proximity to the rider, which means that they are not quite as much in your peripheral vision as the factory mirrors (more head-turning, eye-rolling, or whatever). That closeness was probably one reason (besides good looks) why the new K1200GT today has fairing mounted mirrors. The close proximity is also the reason why many pre-2005 GT and RS owners opted to replace the handlebar mounted factory mirrors with the very expensive ($350) fairing mounted Verholen mirrors.
I also think that you need to 'train' yourself to use either the factory or the handlebar mounted mirror consistently since their angle will be different and will show a different portion of the road (and traffic) behind you which is kind of confusing.
In light of the positive comments here these are probably no 'biggies' though.

Steve
Granada Hills CA
2005 K1200LT Dark Graphite Metallic
post #12 of 15 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 7:41 am

Steve Sez: For arguments sake a couple of things that have not been mentioned before: the RS mirrors will make the LT wider as they extend beyond the handlebar and the factory mirrors. Also, they are - IMHO - just as much a compromise as the factory mirrors, albeit for a different reason: their close proximity to the rider, which means that they are not quite as much in your peripheral vision as the factory mirrors (more head-turning, eye-rolling, or whatever).

Interesting observations, but I see it differently. I have had these mirrors on now for over 50k and find they are just slightly narrower than the stock mirrors with the wheel centered. When turning sharply they will extend only slightly beyond the stock. Since they are significantly higher than the stock I find them much more in mine line of sight.

YMMV

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

post #13 of 15 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 11:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff
Unlike Howard, my view to the stock mirros is somewhat blocked by the RS mirror supports. (I am 180 cm or 6')
But I don't care, I only use the stock mirrors as Muth turn signal holders to the rear and amber "Mercedes style" led blinker holders to the front. The RS mirros are far superior to the stock ones, IMHO.

Besides - the left RS mirror stem act as a great fastening point to my Highway handle, don't need to use allen 8 mm bolt in the hole...
(The arrangement of the riding pic is a bit off, but it shows the Highway handle in use.)

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1. Mirror turn signal.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	8252   Click image for larger version

Name:	5a Extended mode.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	8253   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2385.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	641.2 KB
ID:	8254  

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #14 of 15 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 7:19 pm

Garage
Mirror Parts.

If you decide to do the mirror bit, I have ended up wth an extra set of the washers and nuts (511 623 696 07 washers,511 623 282 87 nuts). that I would let go for half price plus a buck for postage should you be interested.

Bill Jennings, fhp
Denison, TX

BMW States
BMW years and miles, 32 years 500K+

AMA, CMA, IBA, POG, MSF, FHP, etc

'99 K1200lt
'76 R900/6
Various Vintage Dirt Bikes
-Greeves (Sold), Pentons, Hodaka, etc.

Remember you are not lost till you run out of gas!
post #15 of 15 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 10:33 pm Thread Starter

sure pm me with the paypal details. Anyone have the mirrors to go with?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in