• 1 Post By NoelCP
  • 1 Post By simoncharles
  • 1 Post By Moogmike
  • 1 Post By Voyager

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old Apr 13th, 2017, 6:36 am Thread Starter

Garage
Ignition parking light position

Just a rant everyone. is there anyone out there also not liking the way the ignition switch is set up. I've often locked my handle bars and found a few hours past that i'd turned the key one click too far, and left the parking lights on. This isn't much of a problem at night as you can easily see the lights, but during the day, it can be quite embarrassing to come out to your bike to a dead battery.
I guess what i'd like to know, is if anyone has figured out a way to eliminate the parking lights coming on at this position. I don't actually see a use for it myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/SIGPIC]

Joe
Palm Coast, FL.

2006 K1200LT (Love it)
2002 R1150RT (Sold)
2007 Harley FLHTCU (sold at 137k Miles)
1999 Harley Night train (blew the eng at 150k miles)
1986 harley Davidson FLTC (Sold When assigned to Europe
1982 Harley Wide Glide (sold)
1981 Kawasaki k1000LTD (sold)
1980 Triumph Bonneville (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old Apr 13th, 2017, 7:38 am

Re: Ignition parking light position

maybe just put a mark on the plastic, or a red dot @ the "do not stop key here"

You could probably pull the ign switch, find the wires for that and disconnect them
post #3 of 33 Old Apr 13th, 2017, 7:41 am

I now carry one of these after seeing a friend start his bike after doing something similar.

https://www.amazon.com/DBPOWER-18000...r+battery+pack

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 33 Old Apr 13th, 2017, 9:36 am

Yup, I too have had the same anal cranial inversion.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #5 of 33 Old Apr 13th, 2017, 9:50 am
Lifetime Supporter

I've never actually killed the battery doing it, but I have left the ignition in the park light position.

I think if it can be done, the suggestion to disconnect the wires at the ignition switch is a good idea. Then if you live in a place where parking lights are required you can hook the wires to a switch of your choosing. Probably want that one hidden.
post #6 of 33 Old Apr 13th, 2017, 9:58 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerJoe View Post
Just a rant everyone. is there anyone out there also not liking the way the ignition switch is set up. I've often locked my handle bars and found a few hours past that i'd turned the key one click too far, and left the parking lights on. This isn't much of a problem at night as you can easily see the lights, but during the day, it can be quite embarrassing to come out to your bike to a dead battery.
I guess what i'd like to know, is if anyone has figured out a way to eliminate the parking lights coming on at this position. I don't actually see a use for it myself.
I did that exactly once. Now I turn the bars, turn the key to lock and then visually confirm the right position as I remove the key. Problem solved.
Munmi likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #7 of 33 Old Apr 13th, 2017, 4:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I did that exactly once. Now I turn the bars, turn the key to lock and then visually confirm the right position as I remove the key. Problem solved.
Quick learner
post #8 of 33 Old Apr 13th, 2017, 8:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by red85k100rs View Post
Quick learner
Just never understood the attraction of making the same mistake over and over...

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #9 of 33 Old Apr 14th, 2017, 4:08 am

I have come back to my k100rs to find a dead battery from using the kill switch and not turning the key off.

dead battery in an hour. but not to bad to push start, unlike the LT.
Now I make it a habit to walk in front and look at the headlight when I get off.
post #10 of 33 Old Apr 14th, 2017, 8:45 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I have come back to my k100rs to find a dead battery from using the kill switch and not turning the key off.

dead battery in an hour. but not to bad to push start, unlike the LT.
Now I make it a habit to walk in front and look at the headlight when I get off.
I never use the kill switch or side stand to shut off the engine. The ignition switch was designed for that purpose for a reason. Then again, it never hurts to admire your LT as you walk away...
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #11 of 33 Old Apr 14th, 2017, 8:11 pm

Quote:
I never use the kill switch or side stand to shut off the engine.
I know, a bit off topic but I have to comment. I ALWAYS use the side stand to shut off the engine. This assures that the side stand is down when I finally decide to dismount. Key off, gloves off, gps off, helmet off. I am one of those that was a quick learner re turning the key beyond off to park light position.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #12 of 33 Old Apr 14th, 2017, 8:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munmi View Post
I know, a bit off topic but I have to comment. I ALWAYS use the side stand to shut off the engine. This assures that the side stand is down when I finally decide to dismount. Key off, gloves off, gps off, helmet off. I am one of those that was a quick learner re turning the key beyond off to park light position.
To each his own. As an engineer, I tend to operate machines as the designer intended them to be operated. I am not aware of any difference on the LT, but on some machines the emergency shutdown mechanisms are much harsher than the normal mechanism.

For example, I designed industrial automation and control systems. During normal shutdowns we did things like decelerate motors gradually to avoid heavy loads on bearings and mechanisms. We closed valves at a controlled rate to avoid stresses on pipes (water hammer). We wrote cache to the hard drives before shutting down the processor and memory. And on and on. In contrast, if an operator hit the E-stop button we just cut power to everything. Motors stopped as quickly as inertia allowed or in some cases brakes were slammed on. Valves slammed open or shut based on their design. And so on. Very hard on the equipment.

I am not aware of any such issues with the LT, but it is just my habit to assume the designers know their machine better than I and may well have shutdown procedures related to the ignition switch that aren't invoked by the kill switch or safety interlocks.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #13 of 33 Old Apr 14th, 2017, 10:46 pm

Quote:
To each his own. As an engineer, I tend to operate machines as the designer intended them to be operated. I am not aware of any difference on the LT, but on some machines the emergency shutdown mechanisms are much harsher than the normal mechanism.

For example, I designed industrial automation and control systems. During normal shutdowns we did things like decelerate motors gradually to avoid heavy loads on bearings and mechanisms. We closed valves at a controlled rate to avoid stresses on pipes (water hammer). We wrote cache to the hard drives before shutting down the processor and memory. And on and on. In contrast, if an operator hit the E-stop button we just cut power to everything. Motors stopped as quickly as inertia allowed or in some cases brakes were slammed on. Valves slammed open or shut based on their design. And so on. Very hard on the equipment.

I am not aware of any such issues with the LT, but it is just my habit to assume the designers know their machine better than I and may well have shutdown procedures related to the ignition switch that aren't invoked by the kill switch or safety interlocks.
Having just burned out the kill switch on my LT with a non standard relay and having to troubleshoot the issue, I can say that all the interlocks kill the12V feed to the emergency shut off relay to stop the engine running, same as the key. The ignition switch provides 12V through the right multi function switch to engage the emergency shutdown relay and the interlock system so the effect is the same no matter how you shut the engine off. Some like to use the side stand, some the kill switch and others the key. I do find dropping the stand while in gear handy in some cases as the bike will not roll against the engine and I can let go of the brakes to tend to other matters like key, helmet, intercom etc. They all do exactly the same thing and deactivate the emergency shut off relay as it has an always hot battery feed. In the instance of the LT, it doesn't matter how you do it.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #14 of 33 Old Apr 15th, 2017, 7:42 am

Quote:
In contrast, if an operator hit the E-stop button we just cut power to everything. Motors stopped as quickly as inertia allowed or in some cases brakes were slammed on. Valves slammed open or shut based on their design. And so on. Very hard on the equipment.
I operate a paper coating machine that has these exact features you describe. There are normal shutdown sequences, then there are emergency shutdown sequences. If shutdown improperly on a frequent basis, I could destroy a carrier felt. I have seen drive belts disintegrate in these conditions. In contrast, I don't see these risks with the LT.... But I have been wrong before.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #15 of 33 Old Apr 15th, 2017, 12:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munmi View Post
I operate a paper coating machine that has these exact features you describe. There are normal shutdown sequences, then there are emergency shutdown sequences. If shutdown improperly on a frequent basis, I could destroy a carrier felt. I have seen drive belts disintegrate in these conditions. In contrast, I don't see these risks with the LT.... But I have been wrong before.
I am not aware of any issues with the LT either, it is just my philosophy to do things as the manufacturer intended and cultivate that habit. Whether in engineering, flying, shooting, whatever I do, I try to learn to do things the way the manufacturer intended and then train until it is habit. This works with almost everything in life.

A variation on the "train like you fight and you will fight like you train" mantra.
Munmi likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #16 of 33 Old Apr 16th, 2017, 5:41 am

Quote:
I never use the kill switch or side stand to shut off the engine. The ignition switch was designed for that purpose for a reason. Then again, it never hurts to admire your LT as you walk away...
I like to leave my bike in gear when I park it.
Both feet on the ground, clutch and front brake engaged.
I need one more hand.

The LT is easy, Radio off = key off

Last edited by red85k100rs; Apr 16th, 2017 at 5:42 am. Reason: typo
post #17 of 33 Old Apr 16th, 2017, 6:21 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I like to leave my bike in gear when I park it.
Both feet on the ground, clutch and front brake engaged.
I need one more hand.

The LT is easy, Radio off = key off
There is a neat feature in front of the right foot peg that allows you to apply at least the rear brake with your foot.

All kidding aside, in Corning, NY at least, you can fail your road test if you stop at a light with both feet down. I was driving the examiner behind a colleague taking bus test who moved here from Germany. He was taking his test for his US license. He pulled to the first stop light and put both feet down. The examiner said to me "I could fail him for that." He passed the test as he is a very good rider, but the examiner mentioned it during the debrief. He said NY wants to see you stop in balance, not wobbling, and put down your left foot and kept your right on the brake to hold the bike. First I'd heard of that, but that is how I stop generally anyway.

I stop in neutral as I often use the EHCS. If I decide to use the sidestand, I put the LT in gear before deploying the stand and then roll the bike forward to remove driveline lash before placing on the sidestand. Many LT's have enough slop to let the bike roll forward enough to fold the sidestand even when in gear. Try it sometime to see if your LT is one of them. Roll the bike back against the engine, put down the side stand, now roll forward and see how far back the sidestand moves before you hit engine resistance again. You may be surprised...

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #18 of 33 Old Apr 16th, 2017, 7:08 am Thread Starter

Garage

Funny you should mention that Voyager. Quite a few years ago when i lived in Kentucky, i actually got a ticket for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign, even though i know absolutely that i had stopped. The officer said that i did NOT, because both my feet were not on the ground. I tried to argue the ticket in front of the judge, but of course lost. So i went to traffic school to avoid lost points. Funny how laws differ in different states.

[/SIGPIC]

Joe
Palm Coast, FL.

2006 K1200LT (Love it)
2002 R1150RT (Sold)
post #19 of 33 Old Apr 16th, 2017, 11:58 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Funny you should mention that Voyager. Quite a few years ago when i lived in Kentucky, i actually got a ticket for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign, even though i know absolutely that i had stopped. The officer said that i did NOT, because both my feet were not on the ground. I tried to argue the ticket in front of the judge, but of course lost. So i went to traffic school to avoid lost points. Funny how laws differ in different states.
I was quite surprised by the examiner's comment. I tend to stop and drop my left foot first, but then put my right down also. With a passenger on back, it is easy for them to shift a little and throw off your balance. If I am on a hill, I do use my right foot to hold the brake so that my throttle hand isn't doing double duty as I pull away when the light turns green.

The really ironic part is that Uli was riding a highly modified Ducati that he takes often to track days. And he was licensed in Germany which is probably second only to Japan in difficulty of getting an unrestricted license. Uli rides better than probably 98% of American riders yet had a NY bureaucrat critiquing his technique. I had to work hard not to laugh when the examiner said that.
BeemerJoe likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #20 of 33 Old Apr 16th, 2017, 12:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

The parking lights on my R1200RT 2016 come on when ignition switch is turned on and go out when turned to off. If I want to keep the parking lights on I have to immediately after turning Ignition switch off, push and hold left turn signal switch. Turn ignition on and off to cancel. My 09 1300 GT was the same way.
post #21 of 33 Old Apr 16th, 2017, 1:09 pm

Quote:
The officer said that i did NOT, because both my feet were not on the ground. I tried to argue the ticket in front of the judge, but of course lost. So i went to traffic school to avoid lost points. Funny how laws differ in different states.
I am of the belief carefully executed rolling stops should be legal for moto riders. I guess the 'carefully executed' would be hard to establish. I feel they are far safer for all concerned than lane-splitting generally. I'll only come to a complete stop if I know I got the attention of the cager behind me by slowing down well enough before the anticipated stop point to prove to myself he/she sees me w/ their concomitant slowing. If I don't get that affirmation I make rolling, one-foot down stops every time as I'm fearful of being rear-ended. This is especially applicable to roundabouts where the person behind you may be looking upstream at traffic in the circle to time their own entrance, and in doing so fail to notice you had to slow/stop to enter the circle yourself. I know I've been lucky to not be ticketed for this but in the end I would rather have a ticket than be struck from behind.
Voyager likes this.

2016 R1200RT - Dreamliner
2013 F800GT - Sold
1986 Parallel Twin Daughters -

1985 Kawasaki 1000 LTD - Sold
1964 Harley Davidson Sprint 250 - Sold
1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #22 of 33 Old Apr 16th, 2017, 1:41 pm

Thats why Iīve got this

post #23 of 33 Old Apr 16th, 2017, 3:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles View Post

Those lights will stop a car driven by a drunk or a teen that is texting? Cool!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #24 of 33 Old Apr 16th, 2017, 4:05 pm

Quote:
Combine that with a synchronized 130dB horn blast and I think it might stop a texting driver!

That's awesome I want it!
BeemerJoe likes this.

2016 R1200RT - Dreamliner
2013 F800GT - Sold
1986 Parallel Twin Daughters -

1985 Kawasaki 1000 LTD - Sold
1964 Harley Davidson Sprint 250 - Sold
1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #25 of 33 Old Apr 17th, 2017, 3:06 am

BackOFF? XP Brake Light Module - Signal Dynamics
BeemerJoe likes this.
post #26 of 33 Old Apr 17th, 2017, 7:46 am Thread Starter

Garage

SimonCharies: Very interested in ordering that BackOff module. Have you used it? I have an 06 LT, which from what i understand is Not a Cambus system. Read some reviews on amazon that it cause "fault" light on their BMW with Cambus systems. Do you know if there is a problem with any of the NonCambus BMWs. Don't want to cause any electrical issues on my bike.

[/SIGPIC]

Joe
Palm Coast, FL.

2006 K1200LT (Love it)
2002 R1150RT (Sold)
post #27 of 33 Old Apr 17th, 2017, 8:47 am

Quote:
SimonCharies: Very interested in ordering that BackOff module. Have you used it? I have an 06 LT, which from what i understand is Not a Cambus system. Read some reviews on amazon that it cause "fault" light on their BMW with Cambus systems. Do you know if there is a problem with any of the NonCambus BMWs. Don't want to cause any electrical issues on my bike.
No LT uses a Canbus system so no faults or issues with any lighting other than blowing fuses or melting wires other than the rear center bulb. That needs to stay normal as it is wired directly to the ABS controller.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #28 of 33 Old Apr 17th, 2017, 12:01 pm

Firstly, I apologise for hijacking this thread. Moderators, please move if you consider it necessary.

To answer your question, yes, I installed the XP module to flash the leds (nothing else) on the rack on the trunk (NOT TRUE please see below) .

Very easy to install, everything goes where the little mirror compartment is. You have to source 12v direct from the battery, but that is the only "complication".

I canīt remember how I did it, but the leds are always on (lit) and only flash with far more intensity and brightness when the brakes are applied.

Here is a thread just about this subject http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...modulator.html.

I seem to remember that if you want the leds to be permanently lit ( and only flash when braking ) a 12v source is needed to power these leds.

The road users behind you canīt miss it.

Simon

Last edited by simoncharles; Apr 17th, 2017 at 1:02 pm.
post #29 of 33 Old Apr 17th, 2017, 12:36 pm

After checking out the net, I may have installed this one, as I see that it offers the choice of having the ledīs on all the time, which I donīt know if the Back-Off one does.

Probably the reason I had to source the 12v.

https://kisantech.com/mag/tailblazer/25led-lt.html

UPDATE I must have installed the KISAN one as this shows exactly how it works ( go to 4,20 ), with the running lights permanently on, so please forget what I said about the Back-Off which of course must be an equally good product.

Last edited by simoncharles; Apr 17th, 2017 at 12:59 pm.
post #30 of 33 Old Apr 17th, 2017, 1:00 pm

Garage

Quote:
I did the exact same thing one day at work. I was fortunate one of the guys I work with noticed the light and turned the key then gave me a call. Now I turn the bike off, lock the bars then lift the key up as if I was going to remove it. If it raises to come out I know I haven't gone to far and can leave it there, if not I know I need to turn it back one stop. I could simply remove the bulb and then it wouldn't be an issue really but I haven't have the issue again.
post #31 of 33 Old Apr 17th, 2017, 7:37 pm
JWA

Garage

To minimize any potential problem with the parking lights (or is that with the guy handling the ignition?), I replaced both the front pilot light and the center brake/tag light with LEDs. I have mistakenly put it into parking light mode and come back to it once one day later but no problem to start.
Of course I put a blue led in the front to match my bike's basalt grey which every one knows to be the fastest colour for the LT...

1999 K1200LT HL Basalt Grey/ Fleximum Sidecar
1983 Silverwing 650 leaner/1987 Velorex Sidecar
post #32 of 33 Old Apr 17th, 2017, 8:22 pm

I have had that problem a few times, but what I do is turn the key as far as it goes (parking lights) then back one. Then I know it's in the off position.
simoncharles likes this.
post #33 of 33 Old Apr 17th, 2017, 9:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
After checking out the net, I may have installed this one, as I see that it offers the choice of having the ledīs on all the time, which I donīt know if the Back-Off one does.

Probably the reason I had to source the 12v.

https://kisantech.com/mag/tailblazer/25led-lt.html

UPDATE I must have installed the KISAN one as this shows exactly how it works ( go to 4,20 ), with the running lights permanently on, so please forget what I said about the Back-Off which of course must be an equally good product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWkixilCYnE
I installed a TailBlazer many years ago. I think everything helps, but still good to be vigilant when stopped and watch your six!
simoncharles likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in