Another repair - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Nov 18th, 2006, 2:50 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy Another repair

It's another joyful day in my house. I noticed a spot of oil under the bike last week. I looed like it could be a leak at the oil pan (that's what I wanted to see) but it was very close to the engine,transmission junction.

I rode the bike to the shop today for a 6,000 mile service plus new throttle cables and asked then to check out the leak as well.

I then get the call.... After a partial disassembly to get a better look they are thinking it could be a main seal. Damn! Depending on the extent of what they find, it could cost as much as $1400 for parts and labor.

I really love this bike but let's inventory the repair history:

Steering Damper @ 18,000 mi (Warranty)
Windshield Delaminate @ 15,000 mi (Warranty)
ABS Module @ 30,000 mi ($2,150)
Rear End @ 33,000 mi ($550, BMW cover the other half of the $1,100 Bill)
Throttle Cables @ 54,000 mi ($490)
Main Seal, Clutch, Etc? @ 54,000 Mi (Maybe $1,400)

Always dealer serviced on the factory schedule which costs approx .083/mile: $4,482

Add to that tires, shocks, brake pads and other consumables. This thing costs as much as a woman.

There is no point here. I just felt like whinning.

Bob Chapman
Virginia
2000 K12LT
1978 CB750A (Automatic Cafe Racer Ratbike)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Nov 18th, 2006, 3:58 pm

I ride both

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob204bc
It's another joyful day in my house. I noticed a spot of oil under the bike last week. I looed like it could be a leak at the oil pan (that's what I wanted to see) but it was very close to the engine,transmission junction.

I rode the bike to the shop today for a 6,000 mile service plus new throttle cables and asked then to check out the leak as well.

I then get the call.... After a partial disassembly to get a better look they are thinking it could be a main seal. Damn! Depending on the extent of what they find, it could cost as much as $1400 for parts and labor.

I really love this bike but let's inventory the repair history:

Steering Damper @ 18,000 mi (Warranty)
Windshield Delaminate @ 15,000 mi (Warranty)
ABS Module @ 30,000 mi ($2,150)
Rear End @ 33,000 mi ($550, BMW cover the other half of the $1,100 Bill)
Throttle Cables @ 54,000 mi ($490)
Main Seal, Clutch, Etc? @ 54,000 Mi (Maybe $1,400)

Always dealer serviced on the factory schedule which costs approx .083/mile: $4,482

Add to that tires, shocks, brake pads and other consumables. This thing costs as much as a woman.

There is no point here. I just felt like whinning.
Hi bob204bc,

I ride both my woman and my "03 LT and I enjoy the heck out of both regardless of the costs. Part of life, I figure.

No one ever said life was fair!

After your next ride, you'll feel much better.

Onward and Upward.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #3 of 10 Old Nov 18th, 2006, 4:30 pm

The two things that jump out at me are the ABS module failing that early, if at all. That would upset me too!

The other is the cost you stated for the throttle cable replacement. That seems totally out of line if they did not do other work at the same time! If that was all that was done, you would have been much better off scheduling the cable raplacement at a 12K interval service, when most of the labor is going to be done for the service anyway, with about an extra hour added for the cable replacement.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 10 Old Nov 18th, 2006, 6:14 pm

[QUOTE=I then get the call.... After a partial disassembly to get a better look they are thinking it could be a main seal. Damn! Depending on the extent of what they find, it could cost as much as $1400 for parts and labor. I just felt like whinning.[/QUOTE]

I understand how you feel. These can be high cost maintenance rides. Just bailed my 99 out of the shop today for main tranny seal(s) repairs, repl clutch, both shocks, slave cylinder, fuel & air filter, all for onl $2800 parts and labor. This is after 60,000+ miles of almost trouble free riding. I guess it all equals what one enjoys for the experience.

Gary & Mary Droege
1999 K1200LT
2008 K1200LT

"Life ain't about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce."
post #5 of 10 Old Nov 18th, 2006, 7:10 pm

This is a perfect example why I may simply get a new bike every 2 to 3 years. Sure they depreciate. But all I do is make payments. All work falls under the warranty, and I don't have to shell out the big bucks if/when the big items fail. And no, I ain't one for extended warranties either. Basically...I just want to ride the things.

Gas, oil, tires, lather, rinse, and repeat.
post #6 of 10 Old Nov 18th, 2006, 9:38 pm

I understand your position. Let's see, 2800/36=77 per month plus the depreciation and profit on your trades, does that equal your payment? Just curious.

Gary & Mary Droege
1999 K1200LT
2008 K1200LT

"Life ain't about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce."
post #7 of 10 Old Nov 18th, 2006, 9:45 pm

Cool

Totally agree. That is one of the reasons why I sold a perfect running 03 and bought an 05. Plus the upgraded GPS, upgraded BMW communication system and new tires just waiting to be worn out that came with an updated model didn't hurt. I originally went in to schedule the 24,000 mile service, along with a brake and clutch flush. That's approximately a 1000 dollars service cost that went to the new ride rather then service the old one.

May we never find the end of the road!

Perry Ridgway

oknplm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
This is a perfect example why I may simply get a new bike every 2 to 3 years. Sure they depreciate. But all I do is make payments. All work falls under the warranty, and I don't have to shell out the big bucks if/when the big items fail. And no, I ain't one for extended warranties either. Basically...I just want to ride the things.

Gas, oil, tires, lather, rinse, and repeat.

Last edited by oknplm; Nov 18th, 2006 at 10:00 pm.
post #8 of 10 Old Nov 18th, 2006, 9:59 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for your comments. I was just ranting a bit. This is still the best of the nine bikes I've owned in my 35 years of riding. It's just the most expensive to maintain.

I don't have a payment on this bike. Never did (except for the first one). It has never let me down.

I was thinking about selling it and buying a GS. I guess, with this repair, I'll keep it at least another riding season. My wife doesn't like the GS anyway....

Bob Chapman
Virginia
2000 K12LT
1978 CB750A (Automatic Cafe Racer Ratbike)
post #9 of 10 Old Nov 18th, 2006, 11:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdroege
I understand your position. Let's see, 2800/36=77 per month plus the depreciation and profit on your trades, does that equal your payment? Just curious.
Umm...I think you left a few things out of that equation. But whatever...I'll just ride my '06 GT until the next bike comes along.
post #10 of 10 Old Nov 19th, 2006, 5:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdroege

to give you a answer, I had thought about trading off more often myself as I used to put quite a few miles on a bike each year

it did not work out,

the depreciation was so high for a "new (or under a year old bike) that was out of warranty mileage already that it would cost more to replace the bike out of pocket each year then it would maintenance and repair, that is the reason I went with an extended warranty if it could be haggled with the price of the bike.

at one point I had even tried pricing trading in to a new bike every 12k miles
(just before I had to lay out the money for the 12k service and tires) that way I basically only had to do a 600 mile and 6k mile service on the bike

at the time that would have been more than 3 times a year
it would have been financially stupid to do that, even with a decent discount on a new purchase.

So far my LT has been fairly inexpensive to own 134k on it in 4 years very little out of pocket expense
- not including maintenance, (tires, brakes, services)

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in