• 1 Post By Painterman
  • 1 Post By Axle
  • 1 Post By davebullock
  • 1 Post By casualemt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Apr 8th, 2017, 3:28 pm Thread Starter

Question OEM LOW PROFILE SEAT FOR 2003 K1200LT

Hi everybody!

I am new to the board so I have no idea if there's an old tread covering this issue.

Just bought a beautiful 03 model but due to my height (5,11") I don't plant both feet on
the pavement so I ended up buying another seat from a fellow rider. This seat is made by BMW
and was supposed to shave 2" off the height of the bike however the damn thing wouldn't fit cause
of the two brackets that hold the fairings to the frame of the bike so, left with no choice I got a makita
and cut some of the plastic under the seat where the bracket was making contact and was able to install
the seat. I thought, great! Now lets test it out. Even though the seat narrower I did not feel I was lower
to the ground and if not higher. I cannot believe that a Manufacturer would make a seat that couldn't fit
as it was advertised.
All of the holes line up on the bracket, the plug is the same, back latch is also the same, it looks skinnier, narrower but, it does not seat where is supposed to be.
In hopes that someone here had the same experience and knows how to fix this situation I post here my request.
Perhaps someone knows more about these bikes parts than the stupid Service Manager at my local BMW Store who happens to be worthless I am going to attach the label that's under the seat along with a couple of pictures from the bike with the old and the new seat.

With appreciation,

Lacy Passos
Rookie LT Owner
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2003 BMW K1200LT small pic old seat.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	125057   Click image for larger version

Name:	new seat.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	125065   Click image for larger version

Name:	seat part number.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	125073  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Apr 8th, 2017, 5:44 pm

Garage
Re: OEM LOW PROFILE SEAT FOR 2003 K1200LT

the new seat is for an 04/05 and up, I had the same problem and there is NO going back once you cut it all down, thicker sole shoes will work and get used to sliding forward on the orig seat and basically stand up when you stop.[IMG][/IMG]
Lacy Passos likes this.

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #3 of 12 Old Apr 9th, 2017, 5:23 am

The later seat was never made to fit the earlier LT.
Lacy Passos likes this.

post #4 of 12 Old Apr 9th, 2017, 6:06 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painterman View Post
The later seat was never made to fit the earlier LT.
You are Correct,, but none the less it can be retro fitted if you are prepared to alter the side covers and grind off the brackets as I was,
Lacy Passos likes this.

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #5 of 12 Old Apr 9th, 2017, 7:15 am

Yes, these answers are all right-you got a seat for a newer version. (many of us have been down this road trying to flat foot this beast)

My solution is to wear good boots. for me BMW all around work just fine, as do the air flow-look on Ebay or forums for some used deals.

But really, the difference for me came with a trip to Astech Seats in Indiana. My wife and I rode down from WI, and showed up at a great shop with 3 guys. They took the seat off the bike, stripped the cover off, and began shaping the seat-after less than an hour, i have been able to feel very much more comfortable on the bike. They are great guys, prices are crazy reasonable, and it was done while I waited, adjusting the amount shaved off until I was happy. You could send your seat with those same instructions-they do tons of work like this. Just my two cents. I was afraid to do the trimming of the plastic, but others have done this with the good results.

Enjoy the bike, this forum will be your best friend for advice/work/recommendations

Dave
Lacy Passos likes this.

2000 LT 207K miles
2010 RT 29K miles
2007 RT P 42,000 miles SOLD
1982 vision 550 Yamaha SOLD
1964 Vespa 175 w/sidecar (homemade by neighbor) SOLD
1966 Honda CL77 (2016-17 winter project) As of August 16, the Honda is running! First time in 42 years. Going to be a sweet little around town bike. SOLD,
Four corner SCMA ride 2013
All Yooper SS1000K, 6/17/17
48 state/12 day ride 2016
Great Lakes Challenge, 2011
2018 Fall Classic SS1000 Four-Corners
post #6 of 12 Old Apr 9th, 2017, 11:33 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys.
I did get the seat on a trade for a jacket that was big on me and it really didn't cost me
anything so I wasn't afraid to grind that baby out till it would clear the bracket but still, it
did not go down enough and in actuality it feels higher.

I will look for a upholstery shop around here to see if I can do something with the seat otherwise
I'll contact these guys in Indiana.

Dave, when did you have yours worked on? Would they remember what they did for you if I mention
your name? How much did they charge you?

So, is right to assume that BMW didn't do a low profile seat for 2003 or older LT's?

Lacy
post #7 of 12 Old Apr 9th, 2017, 12:39 pm

Lacy,

There is a low profile seat for the earlier bikes. The PO of my 2002 had the dealer install it on the bike at no small cost (around $300 in labor!), grinding down the side panels. From what I can see on your grinding job, you did it more cleanly than the dealer but may have taken it down a bit more than mine. I first replaced this seat with a regular size OEM seat and then with a Rick Mayer seat. I still have the low seat. I'm not sure how it is different from the one you have for the newer models. Try the above suggestions first. If they don't hit the spot for you, IM me and we can work something out for the correct low seat. If you're anywhere nearby to me in Maryland you'd be welcome to try it.

Pete

2002 Toscana Green K1200LTE
1998 Triumph Trophy 1200
1982 Yamaha Special II 650 (sold)
1968 Triumph Trophy 500 (sold)
1968 Puch 125 (passed along)
post #8 of 12 Old Apr 9th, 2017, 6:33 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Pete,

I am in Florida.

This seat I got will not go any lower and it looks like sh**t
cause it looks like it don't belong there, being all around smaller
I can run my fingers in between the seat and the tank.
I am going back to the original one untill I find another one with
a better fitting.

Tell me about the one you got? Can you send me some pictures from top and bottom?
How much would you want for it?

Lacy
post #9 of 12 Old Apr 10th, 2017, 7:42 am

My seat work was done perhaps 4 years ago-maybe 3. I'm not sure they would remember me as far as specifics of how much they removed-sorry. They basically shaved the sides of the seat to allow my legs to be closer to the bike-therefore able to flat foot the bike. I would think a local shop who would be willing to spend time with you could do the same thing. They charged $150. They took off the cover, heating element, shaved the seat, and put it back so it looks like the original. (I'm one of the few guys apparently for whom the original seat is comfortable!) Plus, I wanted the original look on the seat.

Not sure where you are located, but if you are a ride away from Indiana, might be a fun trip. But check your local BMW or other shops to see where the locals go for seat adjustments. Seems everyone is unhappy with the stock seats, so many regions have 'that seat guy' recommendation. I was thrilled to find these guys. My wife could tell immediately that i was more secure with stopping/slow parking lot driving. The only down side of that trip was it was 100+ degrees for our ride home to Wisconsin.

2000 LT 207K miles
2010 RT 29K miles
2007 RT P 42,000 miles SOLD
1982 vision 550 Yamaha SOLD
1964 Vespa 175 w/sidecar (homemade by neighbor) SOLD
1966 Honda CL77 (2016-17 winter project) As of August 16, the Honda is running! First time in 42 years. Going to be a sweet little around town bike. SOLD,
Four corner SCMA ride 2013
All Yooper SS1000K, 6/17/17
48 state/12 day ride 2016
Great Lakes Challenge, 2011
2018 Fall Classic SS1000 Four-Corners
post #10 of 12 Old Apr 10th, 2017, 4:54 pm

I am 1" taller than you, and I have been riding on the stock seat for about 8 years. My normal stance when stopped is toes on the ground, if I need more, I slide forward on the seat and then I'm boots flat on the ground. The truth of the matter is that no amount of flat footing is going to change the LT's mind if she is inclined to take a nap unless you are Hercules! Maintaining balance is the key when stopped. The LT is a unique beast in the motorcycle world, tall, heavy, and a high center of gravity. All that is dust in the rear view mirror once you get rolling down the road tho. I don't think it matters how much experience you have on however many different motorcycles, there is a learning curve you have to go though before you can feel comfortable on the LT. My advice? Take the bike with whatever seat you have, and ride the piss out of it!! Then after 10 or 15k miles, start thinking about what you want in comfort in a seat, because seat height will be a non issue...
Lacy Passos likes this.
post #11 of 12 Old Apr 10th, 2017, 6:30 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Sounds like you got an 05 and up seat in the jacket trade. I have a factory low seat (99-2004) I would swap for your 05 seat (I keep a spare for when I get mine reworked). Over the years I have swapped it out for other riders and ended up with Brett's old lowered seat. Let me know if you are interested.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 12 Old Apr 10th, 2017, 8:54 pm Thread Starter

That sounds like a good plan if indeed your seat is different than the one I got.
Researching oem seats for my generation LT today the parts number they say
it belongs to the seat I need is the same of the one I have in my hand but, it
does not fit so, I am kinda confused so, if you don't mind sending me a couple of
pictures via e-mail I could compare with this one I got and if they are different
it's worth the try, you know what I mean?
Thanks,

Here's my e-mail. [email protected]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in