ELECTROHYDRAULIC CENTER STAND (EHCS) - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Apr 5th, 2017, 1:04 am Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Red face ELECTROHYDRAULIC CENTER STAND (EHCS)

Just had total right knee replaced 3-28-17 and am recuperating. I finished my annual maintenance three months ago and am wondering how many of the owners of 05+ LT's are servicing their EHCS on a regular schedule. I remove and open/flush/replace seals/O-rings on an as-needed basis, remove the DC electric motor every three years, disassemble, blow out all the brushes dust, lubricate, remove grease in the gear drive, charge the pump/hydraulic ram, replace the whole assy, check for operation by 'bumping' from a spare 12V battery, and remount on my 05 LT.

I have owned a HANDYLIFT 1000 since the winter of 06. I have enhanced the lift with lateral extensions, a longer plywood entrance ramp, added a SS 1/4" plate positioned immediately below the EHCS, drilled additional holes at the front of the lift to move the L/R jaws rearward to accommodate the rearward motion when the LT goes up on its CS.

No, you cannot get the dealership to service the EHCS...they consider it a non-serviceable item...very dumb!

In the past I have noticed directions for removing the frame/EHCS and I don't have to do this. I simply use a floor jack along with correct position of the lift and remove the EHCS downward right away from the frame...very easy procedure.

About three months ago I stopped by one of the two dealerships in the greater Seattle, WA area and picked up another discarded EHCS. I rebuilt these units along with John Zeiler and other folks. I have not determined what caused the latest acquired unit to fail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Apr 5th, 2017, 1:08 pm

Re: ELECTROHYDRAULIC CENTER STAND (EHCS)

I've never had to touch a thing on my EHCS since I've owned my 2005 LT, about 4 years now. Can't say for sure if the previous owner had any maintenance done on the unit, but the bike only had 10K miles when I bought it. So far the unit has worked without any problems. A couple of years ago I did buy a new electric motor for the unit just in case mine craps out, and because it was the motor was so cheap, $25.00 or so.

Current Bikes

2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2013 Suzuki Burgman 650, Ya it's a scooter but it will do over 100 MPH
2005 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R1150RT
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
post #3 of 18 Old Apr 5th, 2017, 2:26 pm

I've had my 05 for a year now, the EHCS has leaked since the day I bought the bike. I thought the first time, I might get lucky and just cleaning it would stop the leak, but that didn't happen. I am as of yet to find a source to replace all the seals and am staring down the barrel of having to take it back off. Its getting to where the first time I press the button, it pushes down but won't lift the bike. Second time sometimes will, sometimes won't get it all the way up. Third time sometimes won't even move it, so I reset the ignition switch and it goes right up. I'm doing Run For The Wall in May on this bike, so if I can't source the seals by then, it'll just get a fresh refill and wait until after.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

post #4 of 18 Old Apr 5th, 2017, 3:57 pm

Travis,

That is what my unit was doing. You can order the seals, see:

http://www.bmwlt.com/files/albums/us...%20Sourced.pdf

from Technical>files

I ended up having to get ahold of JZeiler and having him repair it for me after I couldn't get it to work. I also needed a new shaft and he has sourced a supplier.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
post #5 of 18 Old May 20th, 2017, 9:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSQUARED View Post
Just had total right knee replaced 3-28-17 and am recuperating. I finished my annual maintenance three months ago and am wondering how many of the owners of 05+ LT's are servicing their EHCS on a regular schedule. I remove and open/flush/replace seals/O-rings on an as-needed basis, remove the DC electric motor every three years, disassemble, blow out all the brushes dust, lubricate, remove grease in the gear drive, charge the pump/hydraulic ram, replace the whole assy, check for operation by 'bumping' from a spare 12V battery, and remount on my 05 LT.

I have owned a HANDYLIFT 1000 since the winter of 06. I have enhanced the lift with lateral extensions, a longer plywood entrance ramp, added a SS 1/4" plate positioned immediately below the EHCS, drilled additional holes at the front of the lift to move the L/R jaws rearward to accommodate the rearward motion when the LT goes up on its CS.

No, you cannot get the dealership to service the EHCS...they consider it a non-serviceable item...very dumb!

In the past I have noticed directions for removing the frame/EHCS and I don't have to do this. I simply use a floor jack along with correct position of the lift and remove the EHCS downward right away from the frame...very easy procedure.

About three months ago I stopped by one of the two dealerships in the greater Seattle, WA area and picked up another discarded EHCS. I rebuilt these units along with John Zeiler and other folks. I have not determined what caused the latest acquired unit to fail.
I, too, live near the Kent, WA area, and just bought a 2009 K1200LT. The center stand raises the bike just fine, and doesn't leak. The problem is that it won't let the bike go back down. There seems to be a hydraulic lock that isn't allowing the fluid to flow backwards. I took it all apart and couldn't find anything obviously wrong yet. Is there a check valve somewhere, aside from the check ball that provides pressure relief in the opposite direction? If so, I haven't found it yet. The internal springs are quite strong and are trying to push the shaft back out, but it only gets so far before the hydraulic lock occurs. If I crack open the big 19mm bolt, it breaks that lock and the shaft slides right out under the spring pressure.

Any ideas?. If I can't figure out why mine wont allow the shaft to slide back out, do you have a spare, either in part or whole, that I could buy?

Thx,
Steve
post #6 of 18 Old May 20th, 2017, 10:18 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

If Terry does not respond I would be interested in looking at the unit as there is no check valve but there is is a proportioning valve that could be gummed up and causing that. The piston should fully extend as soon as the pump stops running.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 Old May 21st, 2017, 9:03 am

Thanks, John and Terry. I completely disassembled the ehcs yesterday, including the pieces behind the c-clip, that I hadn't done before. I really cleaned everything well and also used compressed air to blow through every possible passageway. After reassembling it, I added about 130cc of Jack oil, then bench tested it with a car battery. It worked as I expected, fully extending after I removed the electrical power. I did this many times successfully before reinstalling it on the bike. So far, so GOOD, it's working as it should. Yay!!!
post #8 of 18 Old May 24th, 2017, 6:03 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

If you are in a cold climate you might want to add 10 ml of oil (for a total of 140 ml) when the temp drops. That is my standard fill now, but it was 130 ml before I had issues with northern clients. All filling can be done through that big 19 mm spigot while you manually cycle the shaft.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 18 Old Jul 16th, 2017, 4:59 pm

I just pulled the hydraulic center stand cylinder due to leaking.
The rod has gotten rusty beyond being able to clean up by polishing.
Anyone have a source for a rod or complete cylinder?

Thanks,

Chuck Swenson,
Sioux City, IA
2010 R1200RT Low with ESA2!
2005 LT
post #10 of 18 Old Jul 17th, 2017, 1:56 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I sent you a PM.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #11 of 18 Old Oct 9th, 2018, 2:25 pm

Cool Re: ELECTROHYDRAULIC CENTER STAND (EHCS)

I'm a few years late to this party. Just bought 2005 LT w/ 12k miles. EHCS started failing w/in a month. Thanks to JZeiler & others, I drained and flushed the oil, refilled, polished the shaft, & it worked fine for a minute. Started failing again--electric motor sounded slow, strained. It raised the bike almost, then released and lowered. I ordered the seal kit from NJ, which is now $50 +$16 shipping, for two O-rings and two seals! Before disassembling the hydraulic part, I removed electric motor, which is isolated from the hydraulic oil. (You can take the motor off w/o touching the hydraulic chambers/oil & seals.)

There was a remarkable amount of graphite mixed with grease inside, considering how little that motor runs. Perhaps because the chamber is sealed & dust can't escape. Anyway, I removed the rotor from the unit and cleaned the commutator, which was covered w/ graphite/grease mixture--likely a conductor and probably what interfered w/ motor operation. Brushes worn, but not worth replacing yet. Lots of fun getting brushes pushed back in against the spring to allow the commutator to slide back in. I greased the drive gear, too.

Result: Amazing improvement in electric motor speed, and EHCS works like a champ. I still have the seal kit in case it craps out in the future, but not having seen mention of the cleaning commutators in the many posts, I thought I'd give you my two cents. Thanks for all the amazing support, you guys!
post #12 of 18 Old Oct 9th, 2018, 2:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmellor View Post
I'm a few years late to this party. Just bought 2005 LT w/ 12k miles. EHCS started failing w/in a month. Thanks to JZeiler & others, I drained and flushed the oil, refilled, polished the shaft, & it worked fine for a minute. Started failing again--electric motor sounded slow, strained. It raised the bike almost, then released and lowered. I ordered the seal kit from NJ, which is now $50 +$16 shipping, for two O-rings and two seals! Before disassembling the hydraulic part, I removed electric motor, which is isolated from the hydraulic oil. (You can take the motor off w/o touching the hydraulic chambers/oil & seals.)

There was a remarkable amount of graphite mixed with grease inside, considering how little that motor runs. Perhaps because the chamber is sealed & dust can't escape. Anyway, I removed the rotor from the unit and cleaned the commutator, which was covered w/ graphite/grease mixture--likely a conductor and probably what interfered w/ motor operation. Brushes worn, but not worth replacing yet. Lots of fun getting brushes pushed back in against the spring to allow the commutator to slide back in. I greased the drive gear, too.

Result: Amazing improvement in electric motor speed, and EHCS works like a champ. I still have the seal kit in case it craps out in the future, but not having seen mention of the cleaning commutators in the many posts, I thought I'd give you my two cents. Thanks for all the amazing support, you guys!

Order yourself one of these to just replace the motor and not mess with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...PDYO45KB&psc=1
kbob12 likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #13 of 18 Old Oct 9th, 2018, 5:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post

I will keep that handy for reference. Not as much fun as doing an autopsy, but a lot cleaner! Thanks, as always.
post #14 of 18 Old Oct 9th, 2018, 6:25 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The motor should be bone dry as they do not lube it. Two ways oil gets in, 1. from outside the motor (keep it clean down there) and 2. The oil seal that separates the motor drive gear from the the hydraulic pump oil. If oil does get into the motor the brushes will go pretty quick. I recommend you get that spare motor.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #15 of 18 Old Oct 16th, 2018, 3:20 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post

Converted my 03 with an EHCS off an 05 model shortly after I purchased the bike.
As BMWcool pointed out, I was glad to find out there is an alternative when my OEM motor puked a couple months ago.

Just purchased and installed this one back in June from Amazon also.
No biggie but it was a few bucks cheaper ($29 vs $22) and shipped via Prime two day.
So nice to have it working again. Hardly ever do I use the side stand.

KC

Link to EHCS motor
or
https://www.amazon.com/STARTER-SCOOT...r_1_fkmrnull_1

Enjoy the journey!

2003 K1200LT
2005 Yamaha R1
1975 CR125 Elsinore
1974 Honda CB750K4
1974 H2 750 Kaw
1970 Triumph 650
1961 Pan/Shovel
Couple Mini Trail's QA' & CT's
post #16 of 18 Old Oct 16th, 2018, 9:11 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Nice to meet you at Ironhorse last week. I have bought about 25 of these over the last 6 years and I get them off e-bay with the price that varies from $45 to $22.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #17 of 18 Old Oct 17th, 2018, 9:39 am

Man, I love this site. Thanks to all of you wrench wizard's out there.
post #18 of 18 Old Oct 17th, 2018, 9:52 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Nice to meet you at Ironhorse last week. I have bought about 25 of these over the last 6 years and I get them off e-bay with the price that varies from $45 to $22.
Very nice to meet you as well JZ.
Guess it was meant to be, the last leg of my 2800 mile journey coinciding with the Ironhorse lunch meeting at the Smoky Mountain Diner.

Enjoy the journey!

2003 K1200LT
2005 Yamaha R1
1975 CR125 Elsinore
1974 Honda CB750K4
1974 H2 750 Kaw
1970 Triumph 650
1961 Pan/Shovel
Couple Mini Trail's QA' & CT's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in