Mirror Improvement - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 8:59 am Thread Starter

Mirror Improvement

Not many of us like the LT mirrors, I've read. One of my biggest complaints, other than looking through the brake and clutch levers, is there inability to see the lane next to you close in.

I finally cured the latter problem with out going to additional mirrors.

Remove the mirror glass by popping it off the ball. This is the only place where any expense might occur, breaking the glass. Once removed there are 3 screws that hold the ball in place. Remove these and remove the ball. Get a 1/4" piece of plywood or plastic material and build a spacer that will fit behind the ball. I sketched around the base, cut the spacer out, and drilled the 3 holes in about 5 minutes. Replace the ball, the screws are very long, so no problem with the spacer. Pop the mirror back on. This will allow the mirror to rotate farther out before contacting the mirror frame.

Now I'm seeing more traffic and less dirty LT or passengers legs. If we didn't wear gear all the time I might want to look at the legs. Ouch... Quit reading over my shoulder dear.

Oh yea, before it starts, I do look over my shoulder before a lane change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 9:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandemCyclist
Not many of us like the LT mirrors, I've read. One of my biggest complaints, other than looking through the brake and clutch levers, is there inability to see the lane next to you close in.

Remove the mirror glass by popping it off the ball. This is the only place where any expense might occur, breaking the glass. Once removed there are 3 screws that hold the ball in place. Remove these and remove the ball. Get a 1/4" piece of plywood or plastic material and build a spacer that will fit behind the ball. I sketched around the base, cut the spacer out, and drilled the 3 holes in about 5 minutes. Replace the ball, the screws are very long, so no problem with the spacer. Pop the mirror back on. This will allow the mirror to rotate farther out before contacting the mirror frame.

Now I'm seeing more traffic and less dirty LT or passengers legs. If we didn't wear gear all the time I might want to look at the legs. Ouch... Quit reading over my shoulder dear.

NICE!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #3 of 51 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 9:29 am

If you get the Muth Signal mirrors, they stick out further and accomplish the same thing, plus the added safety of the turn signal arrows in them.

It is strange that BMW designed them so that you have to push them all the way to one side of the adjustment range to use them. One would think they would have been smart enough to put the average rider setting in the middle of the available range, but then BMW has proven to be very smart, some of the time.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 51 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 10:00 am

Smile

Can't please all the people all the time it seems.....

*I love the BMW mirrors just the way they are...Just wish they would attach
better.

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #5 of 51 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 10:22 am

I have had the Muth mirrors for over 2 years and have to agree that they provide more adjustment.

Recently, the left mirror had developed so much vibration that I had reinstalled the factory mirror. I contacted Muth and they sent me a 'PFA' disk to put between the mirror and the mounting ball. While it helped some, it still had excessive vibration compared to the stock mirrors. I sent the mirror back to Muth for inspection and they called me this morning and told me it was defective and that they are sending me a replacement set of mirrors. Great customer service.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 51 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 10:24 am

I cured the issue with a pair of $2 1.5" adjustable blindspot mirrors. Placed them on the top inside corner of each mirror and called it a day. But for those who do not like blindspot mirrors, this is a great fix. (Rick is smarter than he looks. )
post #7 of 51 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 10:25 am
Lifetime Supporter

Hmmm. Given that BMW wants to be your high tech car and bike company (iDrive, etc), and the prevalence of rear view CCTV for your behemoth SUV, and the falling cost of flat panel; how about video screens to replace the old fashioned looking glass technology? Version 2 will actually work in the sunlight, but disable the DVD viewing feature. V3 will feature radar scanning and targeting of adjacent lanes.

Motor On ,/'

post #8 of 51 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 7:03 pm

My take is to use the same thing I've had on every vehicle I've owned for the last xx years: $2 4" round adhesive mirrors. They take up most of the stock mirror surface area, but no big deal -- they didn't do much for me anyway. Unlike the unit Joe mentions, these are not adjustable but they are so much larger than the smaller blind-spot mirrors that you get a bigger image. These are great on smaller cars, especially, because you don't have to look over the shoulder, through passengers, etc. to see everybody around you. One quick look in the mirror is all it takes: No one there? You're good to go.

YMMV.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #9 of 51 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 7:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
My take is to use the same thing I've had on every vehicle I've owned for the last xx years: $2 4" round adhesive mirrors.
Something you may want to consider . . . or not.
post #10 of 51 Old May 1st, 2008, 1:27 pm

Re: Mirror Improvement

While starting off this riding season I had noticed that my left Muth mirror is really vibrating more than I remember from last year. It only happens while idleing. I just contacted the Muth mirror company and told them that I had purchased the mirrors second hand. They had no problem in shipping me some pads with directions. Kudos for that! Now that's customer service.!
post #11 of 51 Old May 1st, 2008, 2:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmctpdog

better.
I agree! althought I have never had one detach.
post #12 of 51 Old May 1st, 2008, 2:42 pm

You won't till you do! and trust me, eventually you will...... a real weak link in a strong system.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #13 of 51 Old May 1st, 2008, 2:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabear
While starting off this riding season I had noticed that my left Muth mirror is really vibrating more than I remember from last year. It only happens while idleing. I just contacted the Muth mirror company and told them that I had purchased the mirrors second hand. They had no problem in shipping me some pads with directions. Kudos for that! Now that's customer service.!
I have a loose Muth as well. What do the pads do?

I've had my mirrors knocked off numerous times but people or other riders walking between parked bikes. Sometimes they turn too fast and their hiney makes contact sending it onto the tether. At $250 a pop it good to keep those fish on the line!

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
post #14 of 51 Old May 1st, 2008, 9:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyho
I have a loose Muth as well. What do the pads do?

I've had my mirrors knocked off numerous times but people or other riders walking between parked bikes. Sometimes they turn too fast and their hiney makes contact sending it onto the tether. At $250 a pop it good to keep those fish on the line!
I spent quite a bit of time looking at various leaders at Academy sport last week to see if they had something that might work to keep my mirrors attached if they get bumped.

The only things that I could find that looked like they might possibly work were pre-made 36" 120 pund test vinyl covered stranded wire leaders with a clip connector on one end and a small loop on the other end.

Also bought a crimping tool, some 120 pound test line and a few crimp style connectors,.clips etc.

The 36" pre mades were about $2 each. Everything else was $15

Haven't had a chance to go any further with it.

Any suggestions??

Brian in Austin

post #15 of 51 Old May 1st, 2008, 11:19 pm

I like my mirrosrs just the way they are, and to prevent loss I installed CycleGadjets.Com LT tethers on my LT & RT.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #16 of 51 Old May 2nd, 2008, 6:18 am

Re: Mirror Tethers

I found black fishing leader at WalMart. not sure of length, but it allows mirror to hang about halfway down side of bike. loop at one end and eyelet for screw at other end, which fits under existing screw on bottom side of mirror housing. oh yea, after i tethered mine, i have never had a pop-off again !

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #17 of 51 Old May 2nd, 2008, 7:11 am

Re: Mirror Tethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzyMount
I found black fishing leader at WalMart. not sure of length, but it allows mirror to hang about halfway down side of bike. loop at one end and eyelet for screw at other end, which fits under existing screw on bottom side of mirror housing. oh yea, after i tethered mine, i have never had a pop-off again !
Hey Jim, We've met years ago. (used to live in Dallas) I have your card somewhere....seems to me it has some lighting products pictured on it?? Were you maybe a Unigo dealer also?

Im also riding a 2000 LTC. Im planning on riding it to Paonia in July,...but very nervous about the final drive (48,000 miles)

You mention that the leader you used had an eyelet on one end,...and a "loop" on the other end. What do you mean by Loop?

Brian

post #18 of 51 Old May 2nd, 2008, 7:28 am

to clarify, on the leader (black) that I bought at Academy, It has a small, using your term, "eyelet" on one end where the leader is looped back on itself and crimped. The other end has one of those safety pin style connectors that you can open and close.

Maybe we are talking about the same thing?

The one I found is 3 feet long though...........which I think is way too long.

Brian

post #19 of 51 Old May 2nd, 2008, 7:33 am
Lifetime Supporter

I've been using 18"-60# leaders from Wally World. They even held on when I rolled/totaled the bike. Stood the bike up and the mirror/pieces were still attached.

dan
post #20 of 51 Old May 2nd, 2008, 7:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMartin
I've been using 18"-60# leaders from Wally World. They even held on when I rolled/totaled the bike. Stood the bike up and the mirror/pieces were still attached.

dan
Dan, Sorry to hear you totalled your bike. What is the configuration of the ends of your leaders?

Seems like this topic should be in the Hall of Fame/FAQs

Brian

post #21 of 51 Old May 2nd, 2008, 7:56 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwestrider
Dan, Sorry to hear you totalled your bike. What is the configuration of the ends of your leaders?

Seems like this topic should be in the Hall of Fame/FAQs

Brian
Same as what you are describing. Loop at one end, Safety clip at other end.
I will put a screw through the loop,run leader through mirror and clip back to itself or just loop through mirror and frame.

dan
post #22 of 51 Old May 2nd, 2008, 7:59 am

Thanks Dan, I have a Walmart about 1/2 mile from the house....think I will see if I can find a couple of those 18" leaders.

post #23 of 51 Old May 2nd, 2008, 9:13 am
ajs

Regards the mirrors not being adjustable enough to suit. I removed the glass from the housing and installed 3 round nylon spacers that are 3/8" thick, one on each of the screws that attach to the adjustment ball. This moved the mirrors 3/8" out towards the face of the housing and permitted more adjustment in all directions.

I had previously installed a second set of mirrors in the holes in the hand grips because I got tired of looking at my gloved knuckles. I now use the second set for most things you wolud use a regular set for. The bike mirrors are used exclusively for the blind spot on the left and right side of the bike. Really great for lane changing on the major highways. (along with the head check)

Regards the tethering, I have never had a breakaway event, (I guess I'm too much of a wuss on the bike) but I did read the various threads on this site and convinced myself I should do something about this. I made up a couple of tethers from small guage stainless steel cable, attached them in much the same manner as others describe here, AND installed a self threading screw through the mirror housing into the bike plastic. I really don't know why I did all this mirror securing stuff except to say I got to believing what I was reading and felt I should do something about it.

All I can say now is I am going to be some mad if I ever get to put it to the real test. It will have to be a major event where I can see the mirrors all broken to he** anyway and the plastic on the bike being taken with them.
post #24 of 51 Old May 2nd, 2008, 9:28 am

You can also use zipties in a pinch.

Adam
2006 K1200LT 2001 Kawi KLR650
The
wants YOU!
post #25 of 51 Old May 2nd, 2008, 9:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs
Regards the mirrors not being adjustable enough to suit. I removed the glass from the housing and installed 3 round nylon spacers that are 3/8" thick, one on each of the screws that attach to the adjustment ball. This moved the mirrors 3/8" out towards the face of the housing and permitted more adjustment in all directions.

I had previously installed a second set of mirrors in the holes in the hand grips because I got tired of looking at my gloved knuckles. I now use the second set for most things you wolud use a regular set for. The bike mirrors are used exclusively for the blind spot on the left and right side of the bike. Really great for lane changing on the major highways. (along with the head check)

Regards the tethering, I have never had a breakaway event, (I guess I'm too much of a wuss on the bike) but I did read the various threads on this site and convinced myself I should do something about this. I made up a couple of tethers from small guage stainless steel cable, attached them in much the same manner as others describe here, AND installed a self threading screw through the mirror housing into the bike plastic. I really don't know why I did all this mirror securing stuff except to say I got to believing what I was reading and felt I should do something about it.

All I can say now is I am going to be some mad if I ever get to put it to the real test. It will have to be a major event where I can see the mirrors all broken to he** anyway and the plastic on the bike being taken with them.

The stainless cable was the direction I was going originally,..but could not find a proper crimping tool either at Lowes, Home depot, or Harbor Freight.

Where did you find your crimping tool?

I tried using Vice Grip pliers on the recommendation of a Home Depot employee, but found that the aluminum crimps they sold at HD would crumble when I squeezed them with the Vice grips.

Brian

post #26 of 51 Old May 2nd, 2008, 9:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by browad
You can also use zipties in a pinch.
I put zip ties on both my mirrors when I bought the bike. Two days later walked by the bike next to my car in the garage, bumped the mirror,...the mirror popped off, broke the zip tie and hit the car then the garage floor................double Drat!

No more zip ties holding mirrors for me.

Brian in Austin

post #27 of 51 Old May 2nd, 2008, 9:48 am

My tethers came from either Bob's or Cyclegadgets. The wire wasn't crimped tight enough and first time a mirror popped the wire separated from the crimp. Fortunately, the mirror didn't break when it hit the cement, but I was pi$$ed. Mine are double tethered now.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #28 of 51 Old May 2nd, 2008, 10:09 am
ajs

Quote:
The stainless cable was the direction I was going originally,..but could not find a proper crimping tool either at Lowes, Home depot, or Harbor Freight.

Where did you find your crimping tool?

I tried using Vice Grip pliers on the recommendation of a Home Depot employee, but found that the aluminum crimps they sold at HD would crumble when I squeezed them with the Vice grips.

Brian
I made up 4 crimping sleeves out of small dia. copper tube that I had on hand. I cut them about 3/4" long each using a small pipe cutter. The tubing was from an oil pressure guage I removed from a stock car from my racing days and never threw away. I fed the stainless wire through the 3/4" sleeve, looped it back though the sleeve and looped the free end back into but not through the sleeve. I made the free end loop as small as possible by pulling the second feed of wire back through the sleeve until the loop was virtually non- existent. I then pulled the long end of the wire back through the sleeve to create an appropriately sized loop to suit the attachment point. I used a set of electrical crimpers to do the crimp. Nothing scienticic, I just squeezed like he** 3 times on each sleeve. I used the same method for the attachment point on the mirror except I looped it around the mirror attachment point before I made the second pass through the sleeve. I left that loop a little sloppy to help in positioning it when I attached the mirror. HTH
post #29 of 51 Old May 2nd, 2008, 11:01 am

Both of mine popped off yesterday!!! By the way, I like the mirrors..
I was on a 2 lane coming from Springfield MO to St Louis. (Highway 38, if you want a nice ride.) Flew by the sign that said "bump ahead" (big mistake) they had just put a culvert under the road and filled in the gap with gravel. I did slow considerably, but hit it at 55. Both mirrors were hanging by the cables I had put on this winter... I have a scratch where the left one blew back against the inside of the fairing, but both mirrors are fine.
I knocked one a little loose crossing RR tracks last year, and thought maybe I should get the tethers.. Man am I glad I did.. Saved some $$$$.
I will slow down the next time I see the "bump ahead" sign..

08 R1200GSA
04 K12LT (Sold)
97 R1100GS (Sold)
SS1000--IB # 32778

post #30 of 51 Old May 2nd, 2008, 1:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs
I made up 4 crimping sleeves out of small dia. copper tube that I had on hand. I cut them about 3/4" long each using a small pipe cutter. The tubing was from an oil pressure guage I removed from a stock car from my racing days and never threw away. I fed the stainless wire through the 3/4" sleeve, looped it back though the sleeve and looped the free end back into but not through the sleeve. I made the free end loop as small as possible by pulling the second feed of wire back through the sleeve until the loop was virtually non- existent. I then pulled the long end of the wire back through the sleeve to create an appropriately sized loop to suit the attachment point. I used a set of electrical crimpers to do the crimp. Nothing scienticic, I just squeezed like he** 3 times on each sleeve. I used the same method for the attachment point on the mirror except I looped it around the mirror attachment point before I made the second pass through the sleeve. I left that loop a little sloppy to help in positioning it when I attached the mirror. HTH
Clever solution

post #31 of 51 Old May 2nd, 2008, 1:27 pm

What's the trick for popping the mirrors off their balls?

Joe Van Orsdol
Zimmerman Mn
'02 K1200LT
'94 K75S for sale
'11 DR650 Alaska Bike
'13 KTM 250XCW
post #32 of 51 Old May 2nd, 2008, 4:39 pm

How do we get the mirror glass back into its housing once done installing the spacers

OK,....I got my mirror glass out of the housing without breaking it using the "Slam dance" method. Installed my 1/4 spacers and now am so far being unsuccessful at pressing the mirror glass back into the housing.

I see that there is a small rectangular bar that pivots mounted in the mirror housing in the middle of the housing side round mount/pivot.

I'm thinking that that must somehow be engaged prior to pressing the mirror home onto the mount in the housing.

Any thoughts?

Brian in Austin

post #33 of 51 Old May 2nd, 2008, 5:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmctpdog

better.
I love too.Its a prefect mirrors.

ATOS

2001 LT BLACK
1993 Piaggio Ciao red

Im a lucky man,have two beautyful childrens and my LT.
post #34 of 51 Old May 2nd, 2008, 5:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandemCyclist

Hi Rick.You are how high,Im 180cm and I look back perfectly

ATOS

2001 LT BLACK
1993 Piaggio Ciao red

Im a lucky man,have two beautyful childrens and my LT.
post #35 of 51 Old May 2nd, 2008, 8:24 pm

Seriously, how do you get the mirrors off?

Joe Van Orsdol
Zimmerman Mn
'02 K1200LT
'94 K75S for sale
'11 DR650 Alaska Bike
'13 KTM 250XCW
post #36 of 51 Old May 2nd, 2008, 8:40 pm

just a tap with the palm of your hand on the uppermost corner towards the front of the bike usually is enough to do it.....or a solid quick tug forwards.

Brian

post #37 of 51 Old May 2nd, 2008, 9:59 pm

Let me re-phrase the question; how do you remove the mirror glass from the mirror housing?

Joe Van Orsdol
Zimmerman Mn
'02 K1200LT
'94 K75S for sale
'11 DR650 Alaska Bike
'13 KTM 250XCW
post #38 of 51 Old May 2nd, 2008, 10:05 pm

Just be sure you put them back on with out pounding on them, if you do you may break the plastic the hold the clips that go over the balls. I spent $150 to learn how to put them on the right way.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #39 of 51 Old May 2nd, 2008, 11:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevano
Let me re-phrase the question; how do you remove the mirror glass from the mirror housing?
Take a big bath towel and fold it in half. then take your mirror and slam it down on the towel which is on the floor or a solid table top. the flat glass side should be facing down.

After several "Slams" the mirror glass should release from the housing.

Thats the procedure I found somewhere else on this forum,....unfortunately after I had already destroyed one mirror trying to pry it free. This morning, I did the slamming technique and it worked,....but.....I am now having problems reinstalling the mirror glass,

So,....you might wait until I talk with the Dealer tomorrow to see if they can coach me through re-installing the mirror..........before you try it on your mirror.

Brian

Brian

post #40 of 51 Old May 3rd, 2008, 1:54 am

Quote:
Seriously, how do you get the mirrors off?
Took my 03 to the local BMW bike shop to replace a broken gear linkage.
After three days went back to fetch my bike and the Service Manager very apologetic explained that they broke my right-hand mirror when they put "The Truck" on the center stand. The mirror popped off when the housing fell off and was stopped by the tether.

Zapman
Strand
South Africa

03 KL1200LT
"Keep the shiny side up and the rubber on the road"
post #41 of 51 Old May 3rd, 2008, 6:16 am
ajs

Quote:
The method I use works well without the risk of breakage. I pivot the mirror to its maximum to the left or right. I believe it is to the right. (its been a while) This exposes the plastic receiver behind the mirror just enough to see where the two piecec meet. I then use a long thin flat bladed screwdriver placing the flat blade in the space between the two pieces where they come together. I twist the screwdriver a bit and the mirror pops off. Just make sure the mirror doesn't fall and break. You may have to flex the mirror from the edge a bit to get a look at the plastic assembly. HTH
post #42 of 51 Old May 3rd, 2008, 6:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs
The method I use works well without the risk of breakage. I pivot the mirror to its maximum to the left or right. I believe it is to the right. (its been a while) This exposes the plastic receiver behind the mirror just enough to see where the two piecec meet. I then use a long thin flat bladed screwdriver placing the flat blade in the space between the two pieces where they come together. I twist the screwdriver a bit and the mirror pops off. Just make sure the mirror doesn't fall and break. You may have to flex the mirror from the edge a bit to get a look at the plastic assembly. HTH
Any chance we could get you to take some pics of your screwdriver technique and post them?

post #43 of 51 Old May 3rd, 2008, 7:41 am
ajs

Quote:
Any chance we could get you to take some pics of your screwdriver technique and post them?
Unfortunately, I am not the most proficient with the picture posting technology. I am busy with a tow truck for the weekend and if I get a chance I will try to post same. If you pivot the mirror as I described earlier and take a look behind there with a light you should be able to see the narrow separation area. It travels around the circumference of the plastic pieces where they meet. The screwdriver blade is placed in this seperation area and twisted either left or right. My apologies for not being more clear. This a case where a picture is worth a thousand words. If I get a chance later I will try to post.
post #44 of 51 Old May 3rd, 2008, 8:23 am

Any assist you can offer in re inserting the mirror glass into the mirror housing would be great as well. In fact,...if you are able to take some pics,....I would like to see what the inside of your mirror housing looks like with the glass removed. I think that I may have something broken on that black plastic rectangular bar that pivots like a see-saw....that may be why my mirror does not "click" into place.

Brian

post #45 of 51 Old May 3rd, 2008, 11:01 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

I too would like to get bar mirrors.

What OEM BMW Mirrors would fit the LT, like sticking them in the holes and turn a nut?

Is there a dimension/size to get After Market? I would assume stud length, diameter?

I would like Black, But would do Chrome if no choice.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #46 of 51 Old May 3rd, 2008, 5:19 pm

Got my mirror glass installed in the housing---the pivot had broken

Quote:
Any assist you can offer in re inserting the mirror glass into the mirror housing would be great as well. In fact,...if you are able to take some pics,....I would like to see what the inside of your mirror housing looks like with the glass removed. I think that I may have something broken on that black plastic rectangular bar that pivots like a see-saw....that may be why my mirror does not "click" into place.

Brian
I called the dealer and spoke with the master tech. Turns out that when I did the "Slam" technique to get the glass out to do the spacer mod,...I broke the pivot inside that holds the mirror in the housing. thankfully the local dealer had one in stock @ $11.50 plus tax.

Brian

post #47 of 51 Old Aug 25th, 2008, 11:52 pm

I recently broke my LH mirror & had to order 2 pieces. The outside shell part & the chrome piece that holds the mirror.
$270 Is that a reasonable price? I think I saw on here somewhere that the whole mirror is now $400... ouch!

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #48 of 51 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 11:52 am

Thanks for the great idea !

I always install convex mirrors on all my vehicles so I can see ok anyway.
post #49 of 51 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 10:10 am

I found the mirrors to be dangerous. Both for the blind spots and hazard to adjust while riding. The fact that they fall off with the slightest glancing blow doesn't help either. I added a set of RS mirriors in the holes on the bars that are already there. 110.00 and 2 minutes to install. It was like a blind man seeing again. No comparison!

For larger images see:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36377
post #50 of 51 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 10:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygret
I found the mirrors to be dangerous. Both for the blind spots and hazard to adjust while riding. The fact that they fall off with the slightest glancing blow doesn't help either. I added a set of RS mirriors in the holes on the bars that are already there. 110.00 and 2 minutes to install. It was like a blind man seeing again. No comparison!

For larger images see:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36377
+1 on the RS mirrors. Can't imagine riding without them now. Only time I use the stock mirrors is when I'm backing into my garage.

Ray

2007 K1200LT Hannigan- Blue
2012 R1200GS - Rallye
1973 R75/5 Toaster - Black

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in