Most dependable LT's & why... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 Old Nov 16th, 2006, 9:10 pm Thread Starter

Most dependable LT's & why...

"Mr. Big" Y2K 22K miles
Only warranty work was a distorted shield replaced in 2002. No failures as of yet. Just the usual maintenance work. That's it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old Nov 16th, 2006, 9:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodoodrum
"Mr. Big" Y2K 22K miles
Only warranty work was a distorted shield replaced in 2002. No failures as of yet. Just the usual maintenance work. That's it.
Talk to us when you have 100 thou.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 43 Old Nov 16th, 2006, 10:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Yes, my measly 22k ain't nothing but diaper rash.

I want to know about your LT reliability Grif. at 100k

post #4 of 43 Old Nov 16th, 2006, 10:22 pm

I had 45K, and only a few minor issues. 45K isn't too bad for a bike...I don't care what Grif and the other 100K owners say.
post #5 of 43 Old Nov 16th, 2006, 11:31 pm

Quote:
I've got 100K+ miles, can I talk?

The only significant repair I've needed was a rear main seal. Every time I visit this site I feel like I'm living on borrowed time. But she keeps going and going. I probably attribute my luck to doing my own service, and learning how to shift smoothly (thanks Reg Pridmore).

Cheers,
-joel
post #6 of 43 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 12:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog

Every time I visit this site I feel like I'm living on borrowed time.
-joel
I know just what you mean. When I first started reading this and a couple other sites, I was wondering if buying a BMW was the biggest mistake I ever made.

I'll let you know.
post #7 of 43 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 3:01 am

Have about 400K on bikes, mostly Hondas and Harleys, and never stranded on the road. Never had cell phones, or towing service etc., and traveled with careless abandon, silly me. Now that I have the LT, I worry about breaking down every time I back out the driveway, maybe it's the internet. I was probably better off ignorant.
post #8 of 43 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 5:13 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Only 93K on my '02, but it's had two clutches, one rear drive seal, one full rear drive, one timing cover seal, throttle cables replaced, and a sprag clutch that's recently started complaining. Oh, and the ABS lights are flashing, but I figure it probably just needs a fluid top-off.

My '99 had a rear drive rebuilt and the BC-2 intercom taken out and refunded. But it only had around 32K total.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 43 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 6:58 am

Quote:

She was reliable and NEVER left me stranded. One rear end, engine main and tranny seals, one clutch (due to aforementioned seals) and swapped out the engine due to oil consumption. I didn't have any problems till around 64 thou and rode like she was stolen.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #10 of 43 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 7:18 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost55
Now that I have the LT, I worry about breaking down every time I back out the driveway, maybe it's the internet. I was probably better off ignorant.
Spot on what I thought, but beleive this board did me the best service by flagging "potential" problem areas and how to fix or what to look out for. I'd say I am "informed". I hope to run the wheels off my LT and it seems a very reliable bike so far. The wife loves the bike as well and supports all maintenance issues to date.
post #11 of 43 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 7:39 am

Quote:
ok (oh were you talking to me?) <grin>

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #12 of 43 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 7:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog

The only significant repair I've needed was a rear main seal. Every time I visit this site I feel like I'm living on borrowed time. But she keeps going and going. I probably attribute my luck to doing my own service, and learning how to shift smoothly (thanks Reg Pridmore).

Cheers,
-joel

This site has cost the sale of a NEW LT, so your not alone with that feeling. I must admit had I found this site before i bought mine I would have second guessed myself before purchasing.

we now have over 230k miles on bmw motorcycles in 4 years, Karens stranded her one time. Mine has not stranded me

Tom

Tom

post #13 of 43 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 7:44 am

I'm on my second LT.

The 1st one was a '99 and was traded at 94K. It had the following problems all covered by warranty;
1 horn failed
MOTRONIC (sp) replaced 'cause of hesitation - no brown wire on the original
trunk latch handle broke - replaced entire top half of trunk

The 2nd one, an '05 is currently at 37K and has experienced the following;
slave cylinder leaked and took the clutch out-both replaced
center stand leaked and was replaced
reverse speed sensor failed and was replaced

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #14 of 43 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 8:20 am

I have to constantly remind myself that people tend to dwell on the negative. The LT is a machine and will have issues from time to time. These issues can be minimized, at least in my opinion, by proper maintenance and operation. Our expectation level has been raised to the point that most people don't expect to have any problem with their vehicles. Think about how much more reliable things are today compared to 20-30 years ago. I truely like my LT and am willing to accept that it is not perfect but still provides a great deal of enjoyment. My $.02

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

post #15 of 43 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 8:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by astuber
I have to constantly remind myself that people tend to dwell on the negative. The LT is a machine and will have issues from time to time. These issues can be minimized, at least in my opinion, by proper maintenance and operation. Our expectation level has been raised to the point that most people don't expect to have any problem with their vehicles. Think about how much more reliable things are today compared to 20-30 years ago. I truely like my LT and am willing to accept that it is not perfect but still provides a great deal of enjoyment. My $.02
"My $.02"

isn't that supposed to be
"my 20.k"

<grin>

good post!

tom

Tom

post #16 of 43 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 9:10 am

'04 30k

If it weren't for the good people on this site I would have dumped this POS at about 10k. Is it is I have been able to upgrade all the $hit that has gone wrong, and made the LT into what it should have been from the factory.
post #17 of 43 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 9:24 am
Lifetime Supporter

Cool

After I bought my '04 R1200CLC I found the Chromeheads site and found I might have made a mistake buying due to the problems. I loved that bike! ABS system replaced under warranty. 36,000 miles and a hurricane totaled her.

Now it is the LT site and this discussion. I might be wrong but I think all sites, for the different bikes, might be the same. Some riders have significant problems and many others have very little go wrong. I'm at 30,000 in 13 months and lov'n my LT. My H-D cousin now has an '06.

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #18 of 43 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 10:15 am

Garage
It's all Good

Been riding BMW motor sicles going on 27 years. Three of them with over a 100k (including this K1200lt) Never been stranded. I did have to replace the rear end bearing on the LT ‘bout 80K. On the old Air Heads you put a timing chain in ‘bout 60/70K and a set of plug ever 50K. Just change the oil regular and no problems.

Bill Jennings, fhp
Denison, TX

BMW States
BMW years and miles, 32 years 500K+

AMA, CMA, IBA, POG, MSF, FHP, etc

'99 K1200lt
'76 R900/6
Various Vintage Dirt Bikes
-Greeves (Sold), Pentons, Hodaka, etc.

Remember you are not lost till you run out of gas!
post #19 of 43 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 10:18 am

It's kinda funny, I sold my Honda to buy a BMW. I thought it should run forever. I too found this site later and started to worry some. However, all things can break. I am going to ride mine until it breaks and then fix it. I like the fact that the trans is sperate from the engine. I have two BMW's a 2004 R1200CL and a 2001 LT. Every time I ride the LT I am impressed at how smooth it is. There is a guy on here with an LT for sale with 137K on it. That says something.

Take care.

Ron
post #20 of 43 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 11:57 am

How about rear brakes?

The rear brake rotor on my '05 LT got so loose that it was making clinking noises whenever i drove through a bump or pothole. It did not affect braking, but it sounded like someone was shaking a can of bolts - kind of embarrassing.
BJ
post #21 of 43 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 12:28 pm

People tend to dwell on the negative If I had found this site before I purchased I wolud have not bought an LT. Now with 114,000 trouble free miles I know that the, most talked about, horrors are seldom encountered by many LT owners.
post #22 of 43 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 8:46 pm

130k on my 01. Only stranded once. High pressure fuel line connector cracked, dumping massive amounts of fuel on my boot and pants. Stopped only because I was afraid someone would flick a butt out their window and set me ablaze. Replace clutch once, and engine oil seal once. I've been from sea level to 13,000 feet. Snow packed roads to the Majave Desert. I never doubted its reliability

Gene VanEssendelft
01 1200 Lt Blue Knight
98 1200 Rc Ivory **SOLD**
00 1150 GS Silver
CMA,
, AMA,MOA,RA,BK,ADV,IBMR
START AT THE BEGINNING - WHEN YOU GET TO THE END STOP!
post #23 of 43 Old Nov 18th, 2006, 1:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oisin
People tend to dwell on the negative If I had found this site before I purchased I wolud have not bought an LT. Now with 114,000 trouble free miles I know that the, most talked about, horrors are seldom encountered by many LT owners.
Exactly my feelings too. But it IS the internet. Before the 'net, how the heck would I know what was happening to a K1200LT in California, the U.K., etc.?

I've been on other internet boards, and I don't care if its motorcycles or cameras or stereos, there'll be hundreds of horror stories on why you shouldn't buy this or that.

Been with BMW for 6 years now, 3 bikes (OK, not 100,000 miles yet) but not one problem in those 6 years, just a battery that quit after 4 years, and that's in the "normal" wear and tear category anyways.
post #24 of 43 Old Nov 18th, 2006, 2:53 pm

Quote:

See this thread: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16557

Bob Chapman
Virginia
2000 K12LT
1978 CB750A (Automatic Cafe Racer Ratbike)
post #25 of 43 Old Nov 18th, 2006, 2:55 pm

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_S
Exactly my feelings too. But it IS the internet. Before the 'net, how the heck would I know what was happening to a K1200LT in California, the U.K., etc.?

I've been on other internet boards, and I don't care if its motorcycles or cameras or stereos, there'll be hundreds of horror stories on why you shouldn't buy this or that.

Been with BMW for 6 years now, 3 bikes (OK, not 100,000 miles yet) but not one problem in those 6 years, just a battery that quit after 4 years, and that's in the "normal" wear and tear category anyways.
George,

The LT is more dependable than any other motorcycle I've had in the past, and that list includes a Honda ST1100 that chewed its tranny at 92K and looked faded and weathered after about 4 years of daily use.

On the other hand my 1999LT looks show room clean after 7+ years of daily use. The paint is fresh and glossy the ABS plastic is still flexible. Everything works and there is no yellowing, or (whitish dusting) on the insturments and controls. No rusting or corrossion either and I live in a wet area of the country and ride year round.

Does BMW use better plastics and metals in their manufacture?
Even the older 1960s and 1970s beemers still look good regardless of use. On the other hand a 1960s , or 1970s Honda will almost always look like it belongs in the boneyard.

The LTs maintenance may be more intensive , but I do not count this in as I do it myself and enjoy doing it almost as mnuch as riding.

I'm really grateful for the information available on this site. This community is a fantastic resource for LT owners. However, it must be put in perspective, or paranoia is the result.

I don't want to offend , but I am glad I had the bike for over 100K before I found the site. Even then, I began to get paranoid about all the ,supposed pending ,failures for which I had not done preventative maintenance.

Thankfully, I got over the (self induced) paranoia after a month , or so and started to enjoy the ride again

Now I just ride it.
post #26 of 43 Old Nov 18th, 2006, 3:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_S
That's what's kept me from really worrying about the one I just bought in spite of what I said earlier. I post on a half dozen firearms related websites, and I promise you at one time or another I have have read about every brand of gun being the biggest POS ever made.

Shoot, I should know better. I've got a Kia Sportage with almost 190,000 literally trouble free miles. Other than routine maint, I have had to replace one (1) bolt that broke. The next time it breaks, will be the first time.
post #27 of 43 Old Nov 18th, 2006, 3:38 pm

Has anyone noticed that most if not all the 'final drive failures' to BMW bikes are reported in the U S?
post #28 of 43 Old Nov 18th, 2006, 6:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I had 45K, and only a few minor issues. 45K isn't too bad for a bike...I don't care what Grif and the other 100K owners say.
Joe think about it 45K the way you ride (or I for that matter) is like 100K
Rock
post #29 of 43 Old Nov 18th, 2006, 7:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
Joe think about it 45K the way you ride (or I for that matter) is like 100K
Rock
Now you tell me

Bill

'02 K1200LTC Pacific Blue

Yeah, I know, I need to get out more!
post #30 of 43 Old Nov 19th, 2006, 11:32 pm

Wink

97,000 mi and havent spent a penny on repairs other than oil,fluids,tires and farkles.
Still runs better than new.
post #31 of 43 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 5:08 am

Smile

Damn Griff, I only hope I am worthy! 171,000 miles. 52,000 on my 01, 51,000 on my 03, 21,000 on my first 05 before deer totalled, 47,000 on my current 05. One foggy windshield (03), one engine temp sending unit (03) and an occasional squeaky rear brake! As you can see by the number of posts since joining, I spend much more time riding than I do typing. Dick
post #32 of 43 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 6:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oisin
Even then, I began to get paranoid about all the ,supposed pending ,failures for which I had not done preventative maintenance.
There's a term for that: Pcyclesomatic

-=grif=-

Grok
post #33 of 43 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 7:45 am

Blimey, seeing some with 100k+ on their LT makes me wonder what the hell is wrong with mine.

'06 with 3,000 miles, things that have gone wrong so far - radiator burst, screen motor failed, gearbox failed whilst overtaking and the last thing was headlight bulb blew. I can't wait to see what happens next !!!
post #34 of 43 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 8:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbill
Been riding BMW motor sicles going on 27 years. Three of them with over a 100k (including this K1200lt) Never been stranded. I did have to replace the rear end bearing on the LT ‘bout 80K. On the old Air Heads you put a timing chain in ‘bout 60/70K and a set of plug ever 50K. Just change the oil regular and no problems.
pretty darn good service huh, I've only owned them since 08-02 we have had a few problems though, but in the long run My LT has been a darn good bike

Of Course I owned Harley way before that and they were a darn good bike till I bought one of them new fangled models <g>

tom

Tom

post #35 of 43 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 9:03 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey03
Blimey, seeing some with 100k+ on their LT makes me wonder what the hell is wrong with mine.

'06 with 3,000 miles, things that have gone wrong so far - radiator burst, screen motor failed, gearbox failed whilst overtaking and the last thing was headlight bulb blew. I can't wait to see what happens next !!!

And the bright side.... hopefully you won't have to deal with those problems in the future.
post #36 of 43 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 9:25 am

Only 75K miles on my '99, but it's had full clutch replacement, two rear drive bearings, throttle cables replaced, and rads replaced. ABS lights are flashing and light height adjuster bust.
But the ride makes it sooooooo worth me fixing it again!

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #37 of 43 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 10:24 am

W O W... Rothmel and you other Hi-Mileage LT guys are my Hero's..

I have high mileage but not on the LT yet... mine are all on HD's and GL's..
(500,000+ miles over 33 years)

Come to think of it I have more *S*miles on HD Dressers than any other type of bike... I hope to eclipse that on my 05 LT !!!!

I even love just lookin at in the garage...

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #38 of 43 Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 6:13 pm

Quote:
Am I getting close enough to talk?? BTW, I catching up for the last week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1406_1.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	8299  

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #39 of 43 Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 6:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmctpdog
W O W... Rothmel and you other Hi-Mileage LT guys are my Hero's..

I have high mileage but not on the LT yet... mine are all on HD's and GL's..
(500,000+ miles over 33 years)

Come to think of it I have more *S*miles on HD Dressers than any other type of bike... I hope to eclipse that on my 05 LT !!!!

I even love just lookin at in the garage...
it may come, I had tons of miles and smiles on HD's (been riding them since 18) things changed I got a LT, I have not looked back at all. My siles are bigger as I can get somehwere in less days and still be able to enjoy myself while I'm there.

BTW 134k on my LT now it's a '02

probably pushing the last part of 1m over my lifetime riding

Tom

post #40 of 43 Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 10:40 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00k1e
But the ride makes it sooooooo worth me fixing it again!
My thoughts exactly. It's a modern day classic and will be worthy of most fixes. Best part is that it's paid off!!!
post #41 of 43 Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 11:53 pm

I have an 02 LT with 109,000 miles. In that time I have had the rear bearing changed 3 times, the radio twice, trunk latch broken twice, leaking rear seal 3 times, rear bottom of trunk cracked, quick disconnect on gas line cracked throwing gas on my pants and boots, and rattling rear disk which also was replaced. Despite all that, I love the bike and it has never left me on the side of the road (even with the gas leak). This is my 3rd K bike and I have accumulated 302,000 miles on the the 3 BMW's

tommy

Tommy
02 K12 LT - 251,000 Miles and counting
442,000+ BMW Miles and counting
post #42 of 43 Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 12:34 pm

Hi all
My 2 pence for what is worth is that BMW is trading on an illusion created by advertising. Most of us have had faults with our LT's and most of them are common faults that should never have occurred. At the recent International bike show in Birmingham (UK) I raised the issue of the recurring faults with a BMW rep, he assured me that they do listen to their customers and monitor feedback from the warranty system, which should highlight problems. Frankly I don't believe them. People are still experiencing slave cylinder leaks and how long has this been going on! It's a great bike and I love to ride at every opportunity but it's far from perfect, but there is no reason why it shouldn't be. If the processes for manufacturing any component or product are quality controlled you would not get any problems providing it has been designed correctly in the first place!

Happy riding

Dave
post #43 of 43 Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 2:43 pm

75 K. Final drive bearing replacement at 22K. Output shaft seal replacement at 72K (Clutch was worn to 1/2 so replaced that at the same time). Looking like a rear main seal replacement at 75K. Purrs like a kitten!!

The fine people on this board have been a large part of 75K of trouble free riding. Bought the maintanence videos shortly after purchasing the bike and follow the schedules to the letter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in