Centerstand Broke - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Nov 16th, 2006, 9:03 am Thread Starter

Centerstand Broke

Howdy All:

I hope you are doing great.

My centerstand broke this morning. How does this happen? Has this happened to anyone else?

It looks like the bar between the two legs broke. but it was raining this morning and I have not had a chance to take a good look.

Any thoughts? Anyone know what a centerstand costs?

Best regards, tony
Northville, MI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Nov 16th, 2006, 9:15 am

Tony,

There have been several reports of centerstands breaking (including mine). The break on mine was on the right hand side of the cross piece and occurred just outside of the weld. It was replaced under warranty so I don't know how much it cost. Several people have mentioned trying to have theirs re-welded. I didn't try this because of the warranty and because I was concerned that it was caused by a break in the tubing and not in the weld. This is generally caused by a type of corrosion called weld decay.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old Nov 16th, 2006, 9:34 am

Tony,

Mine broke also. I had a friend weld it to what looked better than new, but it never was "straight" again & the bike never felt secure when it was up on the stand. He even took pains to try and make sure that it was aligned as much as possible when he welded it. I finally got a new one from the dealer here in town and had them install it. I don't know how much it was because my wife gave it to me as a birthday gift (installation & all!), but I'm sure it wasn't cheap. You might look at beemerboneyard.com to see if they might have a inexpensive used one. Also be prepared for some difficulty in removing the old one - don't ask me how I know that. Heat guns, oversize allen wrenches........ Good luck!

post #4 of 13 Old Nov 16th, 2006, 9:46 am
Bandit

mine has not broken but "feels" fragile. it flexes, sorta, like it was engineered for a smaller, lighter bike.
post #5 of 13 Old Nov 16th, 2006, 9:57 am

Mine has been recently broken as well. Just last night I replaced with another used one. (total cost $73.25) Two local dealers here did not want to claim warranty (My bike is 2002 model with 71K miles on) Currently, there is one used centerstand available on E-bay Item number: 200014971215 . He was ready to sell for $100 although listed for $125.

Good Luck,

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 Old Nov 16th, 2006, 11:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony
Howdy All:

My centerstand broke this morning. How does this happen? Has this happened to anyone else?

It looks like the bar between the two legs broke. but it was raining this morning and I have not had a chance to take a good look.

Hi, Tony! Hope you find an easy solution, and at minimum cost!!

Lissen, if you find a trusted welder, then that may work. Butt, if not, give Edgar Tanner < eatanner > a ping here and see if he has one stored down at my storage unit. BTW, I forget what model year your LT is.

Good luck, Tony.
post #7 of 13 Old Nov 16th, 2006, 12:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony
Howdy All:

Tony
Mine broke and I popped me ankle while putting it up
I had my maintenance mechanic weld it for me 2 years ago. If you get it welded MAKE SURE IT IS STRAIGHT.

Tim In Portland

2000 Lt Icon
"Ike"

post #8 of 13 Old Nov 16th, 2006, 1:05 pm

Angry

Yep, mine broke and when it fell over in the garage it took out the windscreen, windscreed adjuster, GPS, back right speaker arm reat and gpe sun screen. Approximately 875.00 all together including a free centerstand.

OKU

O. K. Upchurch III
Irvine, California

2016 R1200gs
2000 K1200LT (Best Bike #1)
1997 R1100RT (Best Bike #2)
1995 K1100LT
1990 K75RT
post #9 of 13 Old Nov 16th, 2006, 8:19 pm

Had one go on an RT with 32,000 miles. Rust under the step portion that is welded on the down bar. Bike hits the ground quickly. Now I spray silicon in this junction to stop rust, this point does not allow you to check for a rusting and failing stand.
post #10 of 13 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 9:07 am

My 2000 broke at the crossover weld in the summer. Had it welded. Works great.
post #11 of 13 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 9:43 am Thread Starter

Howdy Again All:

I hope you are great.

I guess I just thought that was something that would not break.

So how hard is it to remove???

Do I need a heat gun? would a blow dryer work?

What about Spring tensioner, BMW No. 46 5 710 like it says in the book? Could I use pennies?

Any wisdom would be appreciated, I would like to get it off today so I can ride to work tomorrow.

Best regards, tony
Northville, MI
post #12 of 13 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 10:12 am

The hardest part is removing the springs. Many people suggest putting pennies in between the coils of the spring, this needs to be done with the spring extended, kind of hard to do if the center stand is broken. There is an internal snap ring on the left hand side that needs to be removed to get the center stand off. The first time I managed to remove the spring with a screw driver and a pair of vise grips.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

post #13 of 13 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 10:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hi, Tony! Hope you find an easy solution, and at minimum cost!!

Lissen, if you find a trusted welder, then that may work. Butt, if not, give Edgar Tanner < eatanner > a ping here and see if he has one stored down at my storage unit. BTW, I forget what model year your LT is.

Good luck, Tony.
Hey, Tony - hope your git 'er done today. BTW, I checked with Edgar and he had already sold his centerstand sometime ago. Sorry about that dead end chase. I guess you've already looked at Beemerboneyard or Chicago BMW for a replacement. I'm not sure Deep6Auctions is still selling K1200LT parts, butt they do have a storefront on eBay. Good luck, Tony.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in