BMW virgin.... - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By javenmcd
  • 1 Post By BeemerJoe
  • 1 Post By DeusExMaxima

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Mar 26th, 2017, 6:54 pm Thread Starter

BMW virgin....

Hello all....after 30 years in the Jap bike world I've acquired my first BMW (2000 LT with 30K) on the odometer. Although it's 17 years old, it really is a stunning bike. The price was too good to pass up. I paid $3100 and so far, so good. I read a lot of negative things about some of the issues particular to the bike (rear drive, fuel lines, brake lines, etc) but decided to take the plunge....here are my first stupid newby questions on the forum. Forgive my ignorance...

I want to address some of the issues listed above as well as investigate some of the maintenance possibilities. As a sport bike guy I'm used to pulling bodywork in order to access some things and I know there are A LOT of fasteners on the LT. How long on average does it take some of you access the nether regions of the bike...particularly, break lines, rear master cylinder res, air filter and any other items you'd deem crucial to look at?

The throttle on it is on the stiff side....like, really freaking stiff. As ignorant as it sounds, I don't know what a typical BMW throttle should feel like. I've seen others complaining about it but I just don't know if mine is binding (it does return but it does not snap back like a Jap bike). Is there something I can do to alleviate the issue aside from the $400 upgrade I've seen or do I just live with it?

Finally, what are the top 3 upgrades you'd do to your LT if you were starting at square one?

Many thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Mar 26th, 2017, 7:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: BMW virgin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by javenmcd View Post
Hello all....after 30 years in the Jap bike world I've acquired my first BMW (2000 LT with 30K) on the odometer. Although it's 17 years old, it really is a stunning bike. The price was too good to pass up. I paid $3100 and so far, so good. I read a lot of negative things about some of the issues particular to the bike (rear drive, fuel lines, brake lines, etc) but decided to take the plunge....here are my first stupid newby questions on the forum. Forgive my ignorance...

I want to address some of the issues listed above as well as investigate some of the maintenance possibilities. As a sport bike guy I'm used to pulling bodywork in order to access some things and I know there are A LOT of fasteners on the LT. How long on average does it take some of you access the nether regions of the bike...particularly, break lines, rear master cylinder res, air filter and any other items you'd deem crucial to look at?

The throttle on it is on the stiff side....like, really freaking stiff. As ignorant as it sounds, I don't know what a typical BMW throttle should feel like. I've seen others complaining about it but I just don't know if mine is binding (it does return but it does not snap back like a Jap bike). Is there something I can do to alleviate the issue aside from the $400 upgrade I've seen or do I just live with it?

Finally, what are the top 3 upgrades you'd do to your LT if you were starting at square one?

Many thanks in advance!
1. Jiffy Tite metal QDs without o-rings

2. Beadrider

3. Pre-emptive rebuild of FD

Bonus - replace u-hose inside the fuel tank

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Mar 26th, 2017, 8:57 pm
cws

Garage

Welcome!
have a look here for some ideas.. should pretty much cover everything from a lot of the long-term owners.
this is one of many threads on the subject.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...-your-klt.html

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #4 of 10 Old Mar 26th, 2017, 9:29 pm

Quote:

Many thanks in advance!
Welcome to the forum javenmcd. Hopefully you have a good stock of tools and a mind for DIY. That will save you lots. Voyager has a good start on a list so lets go over what you have heard or already read about. First order of business would be to check those brake lines and see if they are still the original black rubber lines. If they are, you need to replace them pretty quick with some stainless braided lines. The overwhelming replacement set is made by Spiegler. This is a safety issue as they were not really made to last this long and will very likely burst when you really need them. If they are already upgraded, lets move on.

Something new. I see some on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Spiegler-S-BM...es+bmw+k1200lt

The fuel lines inside the tank also the filter is in there are made of submersible fuel line and the ethanol is really hard on those old lines built before it was common in most fuel. Euro Motoelectric sells a nylon line kit for less than the OEM rubber replacements and it will never have an issue.

https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/BM...fp-hosekit.htm

Also available on Amazon from them.

https://www.amazon.com/EnDuraLast-FP...tric+fuel+line

The final drive of the LT was over shimmed from the factory mostly in early years but that isn't an exclusive and this is what is believed to have caused the early failure of many main crown bearings in that particular drive. The 2000 is in the hunt for that type of failure and it is predominantly between 15 and 45K miles depending on several factors of different loading and riding styles. Grab the rear wheel while on the center stand and see if there is any play 9 and 3 and also 12 and 6. If there is play, you need to determine if it is the FD or the pivot bearings on the swing arm and then proceed accordingly. If you don't want to tackle that one yourself, we have an expert re-builder named Dave ( handle saddleman) who has rebuilt close to 100 if not over that by now. A quality job at a reasonable price.

Tupperware. There are a lot of screws but once you know where they all are, it doesn't take that long to get her undressed. Air filter requires removal of the fuel tank and the electrics are also under the tank.

Be wary of trying to crank it on a low battery. The higher current draw can fuse the starter relay closed so get a battery tender and use it. If the battery is old, replace it and start fresh. There is a retro kit for what was put on the newer models that has a lower than 10V cut out so it doesn't damage the new type relay. I went ahead and bit that bullet before my relay fused while out somewhere. Not cheap but peace of mind.

Quick disconnects. If it has the original plastic ones, they break and leak all over your bike. Jiffy Tite makes a good replacement set that doesn't have an O-ring you are supposed to change every time you disconnect them and only a few dollars more than the set from Beamer Boneyard. If it was a dealer refit, they only replaced the male ends with metal so it still could be half and half which is better than all plastic.

If all that hasn't scared the Hell out of you and you already had read about it prior to purchasing, welcome to the wonderful world of being an LT owner. There is nothing like it.

It has a dry clutch so learn to get her going and keep the RPM below 2K till you get fully engaged or you will severely shorten the clutch life. Then you can run the gears to the red line and she likes to run above 3k so keep the RPM's up there.

Tell us where you are so we know if someone is close enough to ride and maybe give a hand if you need it.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #5 of 10 Old Mar 26th, 2017, 10:03 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the wise words....it was kind of you to give me such a detailed response. I guess I'd better start collecting some parts....brake lines, brake pads, fuel couplers, a/f, spark plugs. With a little luck I won't have any play at the rear wheel and I'll just monitor the oil in the drive and keep my fingers crossed.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.
post #6 of 10 Old Mar 27th, 2017, 6:29 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Thanks for the wise words....it was kind of you to give me such a detailed response. I guess I'd better start collecting some parts....brake lines, brake pads, fuel couplers, a/f, spark plugs. With a little luck I won't have any play at the rear wheel and I'll just monitor the oil in the drive and keep my fingers crossed.
Unless you have complete maintenance records that you trust, I would strip off the tupperware and do a thorough inspection before buying parts. You may get lucky and find some things have been done already such as QDs, FD rebuild (can't tell this by cursory inspection - need records), brake lines, etc.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

Last edited by Voyager; Mar 27th, 2017 at 8:40 am.
post #7 of 10 Old Mar 27th, 2017, 6:58 am

Garage

Very good suggestion from Voyager. That's what i did when i bought my 06, i completely stripped it down. Found that the previous owner had done a complete upgrade on everything. Including brakes, fuel lines etc. Plus, i'm surprised that no one mentioned one of the best life lines for any Lt owner who likes to wrench:https://www.youtube.com/user/illinoisBMWriders/videos
The Illinois BMW club has just about every conceivable videos on how to maintain your LT. if you can follow direction and have just rudimentary mechanical skills, this is the place to go.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

[/SIGPIC]

Joe
Palm Coast, FL.

2006 K1200LT (Love it)
2002 R1150RT (Sold)
2007 Harley FLHTCU (sold at 137k Miles)
1999 Harley Night train (blew the eng at 150k miles)
1986 harley Davidson FLTC (Sold When assigned to Europe
1982 Harley Wide Glide (sold)
1981 Kawasaki k1000LTD (sold)
1980 Triumph Bonneville (sold)
post #8 of 10 Old Mar 27th, 2017, 7:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerJoe View Post
Very good suggestion from Voyager. That's what i did when i bought my 06, i completely stripped it down. Found that the previous owner had done a complete upgrade on everything. Including brakes, fuel lines etc. Plus, i'm surprised that no one mentioned one of the best life lines for any Lt owner who likes to wrench:https://www.youtube.com/user/illinoisBMWriders/videos
The Illinois BMW club has just about every conceivable videos on how to maintain your LT. if you can follow direction and have just rudimentary mechanical skills, this is the place to go.
After that novel I left, how could I have left out Kirk's videos. An invaluable resource for the Diy people. Thanks Joe.

javenmcd, let us know what area of what country you are in or fill out a little more of your profile and drop a picture of her in if you can.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #9 of 10 Old Mar 27th, 2017, 12:12 pm

Welcome to the club. Check out my thread called New LT owner. It addresses much of what is discussed here. The throttle cable upgrade is a must unless you want a large right forearm. The original sticky throttle is horrible compared to the BMW upgrade after 2005 when BMW redesigned new throttle cables and repair kit.
Patric likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old Mar 30th, 2017, 8:51 pm

Replace the cables and ride the hell out of it!!!. I have a y2k got it with 20k on it 10 yrs ago. 95k on it now. All brake lines oem only 1replaced was one up under front faring to front brake. Put new oem back on it. Had fan relay fail last fall and replaced with bmw relay $12.00 also replaced horn relay while having a part as horn was getting very intermittent same relay as fans. Final drive had flakes last summer also. I changed that fluid every 12k miles 1st flakes last year. Sadleman on here rebuilt for something like $400.00. I do my own maint, fluids and so on. All the info you need right here. Great Bike. Enjoy the ride and don"t worry about it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in