6Likes
  • 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 3 Post By Voyager

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Mar 23rd, 2017, 6:30 pm Thread Starter

Your Right Hand Grip ?

I was going around a round-about (I think you call them traffic circles in the US) - 5 entrances and exits, 3 to 4 lanes in the circle. Normal for the UK but possibly strangely weird elsewhere.
Any way a car pulls out and crosses in front - as I had pessimistically predicted - so I touch the brake and flick the bike into a new lane, Avoiding the temptation to swear or use the horn and I just leave Madam on the back with the impression that I can see into the future and am the coolest rider on earth.
It made me wonder;

What is your right hand grip ?
I normally ride with 2 fingers over the front brake lever.
With servo brakes that is all that is normally needed but is also means a quicker and gentler reaction instead of the slower but more vicious full hand squeeze when the fingers finally get around the lever.

What is your right hand configuration when you ride ?

First two fingers resting on the brake lever or just grab it madly with the full hand when needed ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Mar 23rd, 2017, 7:06 pm

Garage
Re: Your Right Hand Grip ?

I tend to ride with two fingers on the clutch, but doing the same with the brake just feels too awkward.

BTW, we call them roundabouts here too.

2000 R1100RT
post #3 of 19 Old Mar 23rd, 2017, 7:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimbler View Post
I was going around a round-about (I think you call them traffic circles in the US) - 5 entrances and exits, 3 to 4 lanes in the circle. Normal for the UK but possibly strangely weird elsewhere.
Any way a car pulls out and crosses in front - as I had pessimistically predicted - so I touch the brake and flick the bike into a new lane, Avoiding the temptation to swear or use the horn and I just leave Madam on the back with the impression that I can see into the future and am the coolest rider on earth.
It made me wonder;

What is your right hand grip ?
I normally ride with 2 fingers over the front brake lever.
With servo brakes that is all that is normally needed but is also means a quicker and gentler reaction instead of the slower but more vicious full hand squeeze when the fingers finally get around the lever.

What is your right hand configuration when you ride ?

First two fingers resting on the brake lever or just grab it madly with the full hand when needed ?
I think they are called different names based on what region of the US they are in. Traffic circle is common, but I call them roundabouts as I learned to drive them while working in England and Wales in the early 80s. The bigger problem in the US is our poor drivers who are clueless as to the design intent of a roundabout.

I hold both grips normally during normal riding. I want a good grip in case of an encounter with a deer, dog, pothole, etc. when approaching an intersection, roundabout, heavy urban traffic, etc., I cover the brake with a couple or three fingers. I adapt to the circumstances depending on whether I think it more important to have a firm grip on the bars or a quicker application of the brakes.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 Old Mar 23rd, 2017, 8:46 pm

Unless I am riding aggressively or in heavy traffic, I cruise with an open hand, my palm on the cramp buster and my fingers laying on the front brake handle. Quick counter steering is a push so I figure I can get my fingers around fast enough to avoid a pot hole in most situations as long as I am paying attention. As with Voyager, I adapt to the situation and the position changes as needed.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 Old Mar 23rd, 2017, 9:16 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
The bigger problem in the US is our poor drivers who are clueless as to the design intent of a roundabout.
Tell me about it. The idiots around here constantly try to treat them like a four way stop, so the traffic just backs up for miles. Ugh.

2000 R1100RT
post #6 of 19 Old Mar 23rd, 2017, 9:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
Tell me about it. The idiots around here constantly try to treat them like a four way stop, so the traffic just backs up for miles. Ugh.
They installed one in Sugar Hill and I am constantly having to put on my brakes for people stopping when no one is even in the circle. It is a tiny one too.
Whiskey likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #7 of 19 Old Mar 23rd, 2017, 9:36 pm

The horn on my LT sounds like a train compared to my HD. I actually have a normal grip in town but like to keep my thumb resting on the horn button to let people know where I am if necessary.

Bob

"So often times it happens, that we live our lives in chains,
and we never even know we have the key."

'05 K1200LT

'07 HD Softail Deluxe (sold)

'02 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe (sold)

'98 Triumph Tbird (sold)

'61 Good lookin' cajun girl (still have)

'15 #1 Grandson (future rider)
post #8 of 19 Old Mar 23rd, 2017, 9:46 pm

2 fingers on the brake in town and in deer country.
post #9 of 19 Old Mar 23rd, 2017, 10:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Unless I am riding aggressively or in heavy traffic, I cruise with an open hand, my palm on the cramp buster and my fingers laying on the front brake handle. Quick counter steering is a push so I figure I can get my fingers around fast enough to avoid a pot hole in most situations as long as I am paying attention. As with Voyager, I adapt to the situation and the position changes as needed.

I am not concerned with my ability to move the handlebars, I am concerned with my ability to hang on when the bars try to move me. I grew up riding dirt bikes. Trust me, if you are holding the grips with an open hand (fingers straight ahead resting on clutch or brake levers) and you hit something that quickly turns the bars (animal, edge trap, etc.) one of your hands will come off the grip and you will be steering with one hand as the wheel snaps back and initiates the tank slapper. Don't ask me how I know.

If you get your hand back on in time to damp the bar oscillation, you will have had a nice adrenaline rush. If not, you may get an expensive ambulance ride. You want a decent grip (not white knuckle) on both grips should you hit something on one side that quickly torques the front wheel.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #10 of 19 Old Mar 23rd, 2017, 11:26 pm

Quote:
I am not concerned with my ability to move the handlebars, I am concerned with my ability to hang on when the bars try to move me. I grew up riding dirt bikes. Trust me, if you are holding the grips with an open hand (fingers straight ahead resting on clutch or brake levers) and you hit something that quickly turns the bars (animal, edge trap, etc.) one of your hands will come off the grip and you will be steering with one hand as the wheel snaps back and initiates the tank slapper. Don't ask me how I know.

If you get your hand back on in time to damp the bar oscillation, you will have had a nice adrenaline rush. If not, you may get an expensive ambulance ride. You want a decent grip (not white knuckle) on both grips should you hit something on one side that quickly torques the front wheel.
I am not going to argue with you because as the situation demands, I will have my hands where they need to be or be launching over the bars. I just need something to ride as I am in the middle of some upgrades and my bike is spread all over the garage. New external fuel lines with Jiffy tite QD's, new radiator hoses, Snapes stage 6 chip and ECU ( if it works). May need to send him some more guilt money if it does. Soon though as the weather is getting better and I want to ride.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02197.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	654.2 KB
ID:	124169   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02196.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	504.0 KB
ID:	124177   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02195.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	610.9 KB
ID:	124185  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #11 of 19 Old Mar 24th, 2017, 5:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbob307 View Post
2 fingers on the brake in town and in deer country.
I brake with my little finger, I can lift the rear of my bike with my little finger
But I lost some of my fingers.
My little finger is now my big finger. Works for me.

I also hit a deer once on my k100. Trust me you don't want brakes if impact is imminent.
I saw the deer coming out of the woods, i was going about 70 mph. No chance of stopping, I believe had I hit the brakes I would have wiped out. Instead I downshifted, Full throttle, Deer hit my leg, then my saddle bag. the saddle bag exploded, dead deer, I stayed up.
post #12 of 19 Old Mar 24th, 2017, 7:48 am

Quote:
I am not concerned with my ability to move the handlebars, I am concerned with my ability to hang on when the bars try to move me.

If you get your hand back on in time to damp the bar oscillation, you will have had a nice adrenaline rush. If not, you may get an expensive ambulance ride.
Speaking of which, do all LTs wobble if you take both hands off when travelling in a straight line?

MarkF
2009 K1200LT

post #13 of 19 Old Mar 24th, 2017, 7:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
Speaking of which, do all LTs wobble if you take both hands off when travelling in a straight line?
My 2001 is straight as an arrow but a friends 01 takes off on the way to a tank slapper every time he lets go. No difference I can see but the tires.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #14 of 19 Old Mar 24th, 2017, 9:51 am

Quote:
My 05 stays straight with no hands as long as Im going 45-50+mph. Any slower than that, and she can't handle it.

Patrick Russell
I live and ride in Illinois, which has some of the straightest roads in the country.

1984 Bluish Honda CB 650 (retired)
1986 Red Honda Nighthawk 450 (abandoned)
Didn't own a bike from 1999 to 2012
1997 Black Honda Valkyrie (still own)
2005 Ocean Blue BMW K1200LT "Apocalypse" (bought in March '16)

IBA Saddlesore 1000

Bucket List destinations:
Sturgis (maybe)
Nova Scotia
Pacific Coast highway
post #15 of 19 Old Mar 24th, 2017, 3:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I am not going to argue with you because as the situation demands, I will have my hands where they need to be or be launching over the bars. I just need something to ride as I am in the middle of some upgrades and my bike is spread all over the garage. New external fuel lines with Jiffy tite QD's, new radiator hoses, Snapes stage 6 chip and ECU ( if it works). May need to send him some more guilt money if it does. Soon though as the weather is getting better and I want to ride.
That isn't spread all over the garage. This is spread all over the garage.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	124193  
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #16 of 19 Old Mar 24th, 2017, 3:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Mine is pretty stable with a new front tire. Wants to oscillate if the tire is worn much or something disturbs the front end (off center bump, etc.). I try to always keep at least one hand on the bars.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #17 of 19 Old Mar 24th, 2017, 3:25 pm

Quote:
That isn't spread all over the garage. This is spread all over the garage.
That looks more like well organized in one corner, not all over the garage

Mine is spread into all corners. I just didn't photograph all of it but I am not into it that far this time.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #18 of 19 Old Mar 24th, 2017, 4:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
That looks more like well organized in one corner, not all over the garage

Mine is spread into all corners. I just didn't photograph all of it but I am not into it that far this time.
After I got the clutch out, my wife walked into the garage and looked at the pile of parts and the skeleton on the lift and said "we will never ride that again." Well, I am happy to say she was wrong and we've ridden 2,000 miles since then.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	27
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	124209  
Patric, bmwcoolk1200 and Whiskey like this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Last edited by Voyager; Mar 25th, 2017 at 7:09 am.
post #19 of 19 Old Mar 25th, 2017, 4:38 am

Garage

For myself, I ride with all fingers covering the levers. (Both hands.)

Regarding roundabouts in Belgium. They discovered them a few years back, and are slowly making them common. Unfortunately not everyone knows how to negotiate them, it is not part of the car lessons / exam. They usually sit on the outside and travel round. This allows the Brit trained / experienced drivers / riders to nip in on the inner lane. People are getting the hang of it - especially now there has been a number of websites showing how easy it is.

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in