• 2 Post By james216
  • 1 Post By norton
  • 3 Post By BeemerJoe
  • 2 Post By hallzee
  • 1 Post By SmokinJoe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old Mar 21st, 2017, 7:42 am Thread Starter

The new LT is finally here!

At first I looked at it and was turned off by it thinking Harley. I was somehow drawn to it though and as I continued looking at it from every angle it hit me. This is the rebirth of the LT less top box. Look at any image of an LT with the top box removed (see pic below). I'm speaking of the BMW K1600B Bagger. (see pic below)

It seems to be the LT and more. You can get reverse assist and all the latest technical innovations. It has a lower seat height and weight. Obviously until someone test rides it and reports on weather/wind protection. cornering, single and two up comfort, etc.

Anyway I can't wait to test ride one. For the type of 2-up riding I do it could be the one. If anyone has actually seen one I'd be interested in your thoughts.

New K1600B Bagger:

Picture of LT without top box:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachme...top-case-1.jpg

Scott
2007 LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old Mar 21st, 2017, 9:04 am

Re: The new LT is finally here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
It seems to be the LT and more. You can get reverse assist and all the latest technical innovations. It has a lower seat height and weight. Obviously until someone test rides it and reports on weather/wind protection. cornering, single and two up comfort, etc.
I agree with you. It's exactly what I wanted. Looked at the F6B first but no reverse, ABS or cruise. Was gonna wait but couldn't justify the price. Got me a 2009, lost the top box and added a lower screen and rear rack. Would I rather have the 1600B? Sure, but I don't wanna pay for it.

MarkF
2009 K1200LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 29 Old Mar 21st, 2017, 9:39 am

Garage

It's a beautiful bike, but i for one don't see a resemblance to the Venerable LT in any way. More like the GTL to me, but of course that's only my opinion. The LT's lines are timeless. I've yet to see a bike that would cause me to want to trade up yet. And this comes from a former (35 years) Harley rider.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7743.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	407.1 KB
ID:	124073  
vernvernvern and CheezNbeer like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/SIGPIC]

Joe
Palm Coast, FL.

2006 K1200LT (Love it)
2002 R1150RT (Sold)
2007 Harley FLHTCU (sold at 137k Miles)
1999 Harley Night train (blew the eng at 150k miles)
1986 harley Davidson FLTC (Sold When assigned to Europe
1982 Harley Wide Glide (sold)
1981 Kawasaki k1000LTD (sold)
1980 Triumph Bonneville (sold)

post #4 of 29 Old Mar 21st, 2017, 10:32 am

You don't see it?

MarkF
2009 K1200LT

post #5 of 29 Old Mar 21st, 2017, 10:42 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
At first I looked at it and was turned off by it thinking Harley. I was somehow drawn to it though and as I continued looking at it from every angle it hit me. This is the rebirth of the LT less top box. Look at any image of an LT with the top box removed (see pic below). I'm speaking of the BMW K1600B Bagger. (see pic below)

Anyway I can't wait to test ride one. For the type of 2-up riding I do it could be the one. If anyone has actually seen one I'd be interested in your thoughts.

New K1600B Bagger:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIyHf1cfl44

Picture of LT without top box:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachme...top-case-1.jpg
If they would fix the areas where the 1600 is deficient compared to the LT ....

Things such as poor wind and rain protection for rider hands and feet and passenger head and shoulders, excessive driveline lash, etc.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #6 of 29 Old Mar 21st, 2017, 10:47 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
You don't see it?

Nope. LT has nice horizontal lines. The 1600 has humpback lines. Nose and tail both appear to be drooping and the high point as toward the rear of the tank. Not nearly as nice looking to my eye as the LT.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #7 of 29 Old Mar 21st, 2017, 10:55 am

Well. I like the looks. But would have to test ride one. But. It's out for me. No trunk. Mama goes with me more often than not. And likes the trunk.
mwnahas and Bimbler like this.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #8 of 29 Old Mar 21st, 2017, 11:38 am Thread Starter

Thanks for your thoughts. I truly love my LT, it meets 90% of my riding requirements. If I could wrench then my concerns over a 10 year old bike needing a potential major fix would not be an issue. I would keep the LT. Even though I have maintained, upgraded an coddled my bike all these years, age will eventually take its toll. For the last several years I have been hoping a LT like machine would be released by some manufacturer and it appears to date the BMW Bagger is the closest so far. I have been saving my pennies for that eventual day. Granted paying $25K for any bike that I will put 3k to 4k miles on a year is hard to justify, especially when I have a perfectly good LT in the garage. But I sacrificed for forty years for my family and who knows how long I will have my health to ride, so I lean toward saying WTF, you can't take it with you so spoil yourself and enjoy. Until the Bagger is available and all the test ride reports including my own are in, the final decision whether the Bagger meets the LTs high benchmark will have to wait.

Also to all those who don't see the similarity just look at pictures of the evolution of the Corvette. It slowly year by year morphed sometimes for the better and some years for the worse but 65 years later it is one of the finest sports cars in the world. Like the Vet the LT should not be forgotten (BMW wake up and listen). The LTs tangible and intangible qualities which are appreciated by the rare few two wheel aficionados, (LT forum members) who can appreciate what an extraordinary machines the LT's are. I'm surprised the BMW marketing brain trust did not label the Bagger, the new LT. It would have made more sense as the true bagger dudes are not buying a BMW. There are however a lot of three day weekend touring guys who would seriously look at this bike.

So much for my opinion.

Thanks for all the responses
TimATX likes this.

Scott
2007 LT
post #9 of 29 Old Mar 21st, 2017, 7:55 pm

Garage

Have to agree with voyager.. just don't have the same lines.. and for me, i find the 1200 engine fine. I've never had problems keeping up with traffic or passing when i needed to. Sorry MarkF

[/SIGPIC]

Joe
Palm Coast, FL.

2006 K1200LT (Love it)
2002 R1150RT (Sold)
post #10 of 29 Old Mar 21st, 2017, 8:05 pm

Garage

To Norton.
Keep your LT. 3 to 4k a year is nothing. I've had my LT for 9 months now. (had an RT prior to that) I bought it used and i DO all my own wrenching. (Thanks to BMW motorad club videos) I've put on 16900 miles on her so far (I live in Florida, land of all year riding). One 4500 mile trip to KY and Ma. She started out with 62000 miles. The engine is solid and i've had absolutely no problems with her. The previous owner had taken exceptional care with the bike, performing all the preventative maintenance and upgrades. Fuel lines, fix it before it breaks, etc. I'm one of those believers that this bike will continue to go up in value. Perhaps not the pre 05's, but 06 to 09 will definitely last.

[/SIGPIC]

Joe
Palm Coast, FL.

2006 K1200LT (Love it)
2002 R1150RT (Sold)
post #11 of 29 Old Mar 21st, 2017, 8:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerJoe View Post
Have to agree with voyager.. just don't have the same lines.. and for me, i find the 1200 engine fine. I've never had problems keeping up with traffic or passing when i needed to. Sorry MarkF
Don't apologize. I like my LT just fine. Smooth, enough umph, plenty creature comforts. I just think this new bagger looks like a next gen. LT. Not the same, but like a mutation or two down the evo. path.

MarkF
2009 K1200LT

post #12 of 29 Old Mar 22nd, 2017, 12:38 am

IMO this is just a GTL without the top case and some differences on front and back fairing. I've tested the GTL and oh boy that 6-cyl engine is awesome. Technology-wise is also pretty cool. Those 2 elements on the LT would make the perfect touring bike. That said, the GTL is not even close to the LT in comfort. Narrow and hard seats, very narrow front fairing lets the wind get into your helmet and also into your legs. Passenger comfort is the same than an RT but with arm rests, so nothing really comfortable for long rides. LT is 10 times more comfortable (but also more heavy and slow).

This bobber is the competition of big Harleys and the Goldwing F6B. BWM is not creating anything new here.

That said, they should use the same engine and put big softer suspension, wind protection, a different seats set, more cases and with that compete with the Goldwing or big Harleys.
post #13 of 29 Old Mar 22nd, 2017, 7:54 am

Garage

How about bringing back the LT, with the 1600 engine.. Now that would be quite a bike. I'm sure the designers and engineers could easily accomplish this.
Notahog, Munmi and gorm5 like this.

[/SIGPIC]

Joe
Palm Coast, FL.

2006 K1200LT (Love it)
2002 R1150RT (Sold)
post #14 of 29 Old Mar 22nd, 2017, 10:14 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerJoe View Post
How about bringing back the LT, with the 1600 engine.. Now that would be quite a bike. I'm sure the designers and engineers could easily accomplish this.
Yes, piece of cake. You only have to redesign the entire drive train, and frame, etc.

The two times I have rented GTLs for extended riding, I am always impressed by the power and I like the wet clutch and lighter weight. The handling is quicker, almost too quick for two-up touring and the brakes feel stronger. However, for most of the trip, I miss the comfort and weather protection of the LT more than I appreciate the power of the GTL. You only use the power occasionally, but when you ride all day in the cold and rain, you miss the weather protection of the LT all day!

I understand you can add $1,000 of bigger windshield and various Aeroflow shields and deflectors and make the GTL "almost" as good as a stock LT, but as long as my LT remains reliable, I just don't see a reason to spend $31,000 to get a bike that is only almost as good as my LT for the type of riding I do (two-up long distance all-weather touring).

If I was a solo rider and leaned more towards sport touring, I would more seriously consider the GTL. A lot depends on your mission profile, and my mission profile simply favors the attributes of the LT more so than the attributes of the GTL.

However, I keep hoping for a new motorcycle, BMW or otherwise, that will have the LT attributes with a technology refresh (more power, adjustable suspension, lean capable ABS and traction control, etc.) a la the GTL. Having said that, I realize I represent a diminishing market and this is unlikely to happen anytime soon. Then again, the rumors of a new hybrid drive train Gold Wing are very interesting. That could be a game changer as Honda has never lost sight of the attributes important to the luxury touring market. If they keep Gold Wing comfort, but add in BMW technology, they will have a formidable touring machine.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #15 of 29 Old Mar 22nd, 2017, 8:31 pm

Just my humble opinion but the K1600 bagger is a lot of things but I don't think it is "new" LT. I just wish they would put this engine in true LT and move on. Hey thats a thought wonder if it would work to put the engine in an old LT. LOL
post #16 of 29 Old Mar 22nd, 2017, 8:52 pm

I attended a motorcycle expo in Chicago last month and got to sit on one of these 1600B's. BMW clearly wanted to create their version of an F6B... and they succeeded. It is lower than an LT, had up to date tech, and was comfortable enough but not reminiscent of the LT, in my opinion. They had some 1600 GTLs in the area, also. The bike is essentially a GTL without top case. I'm sure they ride like the wind, but I prefer the LT (especially 2005+) when it come to looks. I agree with Beemer Joe that an LT with the 1600 engine would be absolutely perfect.

Patrick Russell
I live and ride in Illinois, which has some of the straightest roads in the country.

1984 Bluish Honda CB 650 (retired)
1986 Red Honda Nighthawk 450 (abandoned)
Didn't own a bike from 1999 to 2012
1997 Black Honda Valkyrie (still own)
2005 Ocean Blue BMW K1200LT "Apocalypse" (bought in March '16)

IBA Saddlesore 1000

Bucket List destinations:
Sturgis (maybe)
Nova Scotia
Pacific Coast highway
post #17 of 29 Old Mar 23rd, 2017, 3:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notahog View Post
Just my humble opinion but the K1600 bagger is a lot of things but I don't think it is "new" LT. I just wish they would put this engine in true LT and move on. Hey thats a thought wonder if it would work to put the engine in an old LT. LOL
OK, J. Zeiler, Sailor and Saddleman need to get together and install the K1600 engine in an LT frame. I'll donate my bike as long as JZ, Sailor and Saddleman donate the labor, motor and ingenuity.

This is what it would look like:
https://www.google.com/search?q=bmw+...GY-49GD2f87-M:

Scott
2007 LT
post #18 of 29 Old Mar 23rd, 2017, 7:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
OK, J. Zeiler, Sailor and Saddleman need to get together and install the K1600 engine in an LT frame. I'll donate my bike as long as JZ, Sailor and Saddleman donate the labor, motor and ingenuity.
Personally, I think a small turbo to boost low-end torque would be almost as good and much more practical.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #19 of 29 Old Mar 25th, 2017, 1:36 pm

Now I've seen a rendering(drawing) of a bike that looked just like the 1600 B, but with the trunk. That I might see me buying. Again. Would Have to test ride it. Tech wise. Yea. I'm sure it's got the LT beat. Comfort wise. There's still to this day none equal to the LT. Gonna be hard to replace it.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

Last edited by james216; Mar 25th, 2017 at 2:05 pm.
post #20 of 29 Old Mar 25th, 2017, 6:02 pm

Garage

I think it's drop dead sexy. It doesn't look like a Harley though, it looks more like an F6B.

http://powersports.honda.com/Assets/...ver_42515B.jpg

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wheelsca/wp-...-b-11-2016.jpg

Am I crazy, or does it have a trunk under the pillon seat? I swear I see a seam and a key lock back there.

2000 R1100RT
post #21 of 29 Old Mar 25th, 2017, 10:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
If they would fix the areas where the 1600 is deficient compared to the LT ....

Things such as poor wind and rain protection for rider hands and feet and passenger head and shoulders, excessive driveline lash, etc.
I put 93,000 miles on the LT. 33,000 on my GTL so far.

Loved the LT - but if simply does not compare to the GTL, as far as performance, ease of maintenance - and dependability.

Wind protection? Easily fixed with Aeroflow wings (way south of "$1,000"). I have ridden the GTL across this country four times, through torrential rains. No more wetness than the LT, when tweaked slightly with Areoflow. An addition, the GTL needed many fewer add-on farkles than my LT required, so the $ balances out.

Pillion comfort? Easily fixed with custom seat. My wife wanted to be lower, and it was dealt with. BTW, I had a custom seat on my LT (and every BMW I've owned). She gladly does 400-500 mile days.

Drive line lash? Nope, not worse. Same as the LT in that regard. These are shaft driven bikes. I have had 5 shaft driven bikes, so I do know them.... Yes, the bike is different, because there is no flywheel. Takes a little getting used to, but I have no issues making smooth shifts.

The LT DOES have a few things the GTL doesn't:
- Final Drive Failures (I have four local riding friends that experienced this, though I didn't).
- Rear Main Seal Failure? Bingo - me too!
- Clutch Slave Failure? Yep, I got mine.
- Stock rubber brake lines; spring a leak at 30k miles, and then replace with Spieglers.

I do most all my own maintenance. The 6 & 12 K maintenance on the GTL takes less than an hour. So easy, I haven't used my lift in 2 years...
meese and SmokinJoe like this.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-

Last edited by hallzee; Mar 25th, 2017 at 10:47 pm.
post #22 of 29 Old Mar 26th, 2017, 7:00 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee View Post
I put 93,000 miles on the LT. 33,000 on my GTL so far.

Loved the LT - but if simply does not compare to the GTL, as far as performance, ease of maintenance - and dependability.

Wind protection? Easily fixed with Aeroflow wings (way south of "$1,000"). I have ridden the GTL across this country four times, through torrential rains. No more wetness than the LT, when tweaked slightly with Areoflow. An addition, the GTL needed many fewer add-on farkles than my LT required, so the $ balances out.

Pillion comfort? Easily fixed with custom seat. My wife wanted to be lower, and it was dealt with. BTW, I had a custom seat on my LT (and every BMW I've owned). She gladly does 400-500 mile days.

Drive line lash? Nope, not worse. Same as the LT in that regard. These are shaft driven bikes. I have had 5 shaft driven bikes, so I do know them.... Yes, the bike is different, because there is no flywheel. Takes a little getting used to, but I have no issues making smooth shifts.

The LT DOES have a few things the GTL doesn't:
- Final Drive Failures (I have four local riding friends that experienced this, though I didn't).
- Rear Main Seal Failure? Bingo - me too!
- Clutch Slave Failure? Yep, I got mine.
- Stock rubber brake lines; spring a leak at 30k miles, and then replace with Spieglers.

I do most all my own maintenance. The 6 & 12 K maintenance on the GTL takes less than an hour. So easy, I haven't used my lift in 2 years...
How much did your windshield and Aeroflow shields cost? I won't use a cheap acrylic shield, must be OEM comparable polycarbonate. Did you get the full set? Is it 2 or 3 on each side? What did the seat cost? How much lower is the passenger seat. My wife is 5'9" and needs at least 4" of seat height reduction. She sits probably 6" higher than me on the GTL vs. maybe 2" higher on the LT. Just estimating here, didn't have a tape measure in Europe to check precisely.

Is the rain protection really as good as the LT? Both my hands and my feet got soaked within 10 minutes of entering rain on the GTL. My hands rarely get wet at all on the LT (as long as in motion) and it takes a couple of hours for my boots (non waterproof) to soak through. I bought a set of waterproof boots and gloves for my Scotland tour last year. Don't use them on the LT, but was glad to have them on the GTL. The winds in the Scottish Highlands still beat the crap out of my wife. She is rarely bothered on the LT, even with cross winds. My LT is completely stock in regards to seat, windshield, and weather protection. I added a Beadrider, but wife didn't like the extra seat height and the slippery feeling of the beads so hers remains unused.

Anyone want to make me an offer on a like new (used only one ride) Beadrider?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #23 of 29 Old Mar 26th, 2017, 3:09 pm

Quote:
How much did your windshield and Aeroflow shields cost? I won't use a cheap acrylic shield, must be OEM comparable polycarbonate. Did you get the full set? Is it 2 or 3 on each side? What did the seat cost? How much lower is the passenger seat. My wife is 5'9" and needs at least 4" of seat height reduction. She sits probably 6" higher than me on the GTL vs. maybe 2" higher on the LT. Just estimating here, didn't have a tape measure in Europe to check precisely.

Is the rain protection really as good as the LT? Both my hands and my feet got soaked within 10 minutes of entering rain on the GTL. My hands rarely get wet at all on the LT (as long as in motion) and it takes a couple of hours for my boots (non waterproof) to soak through. I bought a set of waterproof boots and gloves for my Scotland tour last year. Don't use them on the LT, but was glad to have them on the GTL. The winds in the Scottish Highlands still beat the crap out of my wife. She is rarely bothered on the LT, even with cross winds. My LT is completely stock in regards to seat, windshield, and weather protection. I added a Beadrider, but wife didn't like the extra seat height and the slippery feeling of the beads so hers remains unused.

Anyone want to make me an offer on a like new (used only one ride) Beadrider?
I'l let you get the last word in. If a stock LT meets your needs, then good for you!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #24 of 29 Old Mar 26th, 2017, 4:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee View Post
I'l let you get the last word in. If a stock LT meets your needs, then good for you!
I was asking serious questions, but if you don't want to answer them that is your prerogative. From a comfort perspective, the LT suits me fine. I would love to have the performance and wet clutch of the GTL, but it isn't worth the loss of comfort.

I added all the GTL Aeroflow parts to their cart (excluding the headlight protector) and the total with shipping is $609. I could find no shields for the foot pegs so I am not sure how you addressed foot protection.

I have not investigated seats recently to see how much height reduction is possible today. When I first looked into it after my first GTL rental in 2013, the most I found was about an inch.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #25 of 29 Old Mar 26th, 2017, 7:13 pm

Quote:
I was asking serious questions,.
FWIW: 250.00 for the screen, 120.00 for the wings, 90.00 for the mini wings (optional I don't have the mini's).
I really loved my LT and love my GTL's even more, so much I bought two. I have no 'drive lash' issues BUT the fly by wire takes a few weeks to tame, very responsive.
I had custom seats on my LT (had to replace the football seat) and I have RDL on my GTL Exclusive and a Mayer on the GTL. The pre 2005 LT had a much better, comfortable seat.
Working on the GTL is sooo much easier than the LT.
LT was a great solid ride but the GTL is flat out FUN, FUN, FUN and more FUN!
The 2017 & 2018's have redesigned hand guards for better stock wind protection but I have not test rode one yet.
Mark (mneblett) has a great post here http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-...miniwings.html
HTH
hallzee likes this.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

Last edited by SmokinJoe; Mar 26th, 2017 at 7:20 pm.
post #26 of 29 Old Mar 27th, 2017, 2:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
FWIW: 250.00 for the screen, 120.00 for the wings, 90.00 for the mini wings (optional I don't have the mini's).
I really loved my LT and love my GTL's even more, so much I bought two. I have no 'drive lash' issues BUT the fly by wire takes a few weeks to tame, very responsive.
I had custom seats on my LT (had to replace the football seat) and I have RDL on my GTL Exclusive and a Mayer on the GTL. The pre 2005 LT had a much better, comfortable seat.
Working on the GTL is sooo much easier than the LT.
LT was a great solid ride but the GTL is flat out FUN, FUN, FUN and more FUN!
The 2017 & 2018's have redesigned hand guards for better stock wind protection but I have not test rode one yet.
Mark (mneblett) has a great post here Product Review - Aeroflow Miniwings - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
HTH
Do you ride mostly solo or two-up? If two-up, how tall is your passenger? Looks like the Aeroflow prices have increased a little since you bought yours.

I likewise was intrigued to read about the changes made to the GTL this year. I am waiting to read some ride reports to see how much improvement was made. I think my LT will easily go another 3-5 years, but would trade sooner if a worthy successor comes along.

I will probably wait another year or two to see if Honda releases the rumored hybrid Wing with the novel new suspension and compare that to whatever BMW has at that time.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #27 of 29 Old Mar 27th, 2017, 3:22 pm

Quote:
Do you ride mostly solo or two-up? If two-up, how tall is your passenger? Looks like the Aeroflow prices have increased a little since you bought yours.

I likewise was intrigued to read about the changes made to the GTL this year. I am waiting to read some ride reports to see how much improvement was made. I think my LT will easily go another 3-5 years, but would trade sooner if a worthy successor comes along.

I will probably wait another year or two to see if Honda releases the rumored hybrid Wing with the novel new suspension and compare that to whatever BMW has at that time.
Two up 99% of time. Wife is 5'7" tall.
The prices I quoted are current but the discounted pricing when buying the shield or 10% less. If I want the mini's they will also extend the 10% discount. You can tell by the pull down.
Paige is a GREAT guy.
Best, Joe

2001 Honda C-250 Helix

Smokin'

post #28 of 29 Old Mar 27th, 2017, 6:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
Two up 99% of time. Wife is 5'7" tall.
The prices I quoted are current but the discounted pricing when buying the shield or 10% less. If I want the mini's they will also extend the 10% discount. You can tell by the pull down.
Paige is a GREAT guy.
Best, Joe
I used the prices from their web site. Must be you have to call and ask for the 10% discount.

Which seat do you prefer? RDL or Mayer? My wife is a couple inches taller than yours and gets lots of helmet buffeting and wind on her shoulders. Any rough idea how much lower than stock is the passenger seat on the RDL and Mayer? Is one lower than the other?

Which height shield did you go with?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	81
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	124273  

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #29 of 29 Old Mar 28th, 2017, 3:32 pm

Quote:
I used the prices from their web site. Must be you have to call and ask for the 10% discount.

Which seat do you prefer? RDL ? Which height shield did you go with?
Hands down RDL full leather. They will adjust the seat to most anything you want, ie: lower passenger/raise rider or visa versa/ or raise / lower both. They want pics, measurements and dimensions of you and wife on the bike. My wife liked being higher than she was on the LT because she can see over my head and could not on the LT.
I purchased the Aeroflow Medium GT screen and it is perfect.
I'm not sure the K1600GT/L Hybrid AeroScreen: BMW GT or GTL
was available when I bought back in 2014.
They used to give a $25.00 discount when you purchased the screen & wings.
All the best!

2001 Honda C-250 Helix

Smokin'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in