Another new LT owner - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Father Time

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Mar 20th, 2017, 9:54 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Another new LT owner

Greetings, All! Purchased a 2001 LT about a month ago from my brother in law. Due to maintenance reasons, had to trailer it from SE Kentucky to Central Illinois. Over the past month, I've been changing fluids, tires and am waiting on rear brake pads and rotor to arrive. I've only put 36 miles on it, but that was enough of the "cowbell" for me!

As for me, this is my 1st BMW after getting tired of the Harley vibrations I've withstood for years. It finally took it's toll on this old body.

Looking forward to thousands of miles on this beauty. Also looking forward to experience and insight here from all y'all.

FT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Mar 20th, 2017, 10:54 pm

Re: Another new LT owner

Welcome from Sugar Hill, GA

Take a look at those brake lines. If they are the old original rubber ones, they are just waiting to burst on you first time you really need them. If they have already been replaced with stainless steel braided after market, you are a step ahead and just that much safer.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Mar 20th, 2017, 11:27 pm Thread Starter

Garage

That's the next upgrade. Need to work a few hours of overtime to help generate some more funds, however.

post #4 of 9 Old Mar 21st, 2017, 12:31 pm

Welcome to the forum!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #5 of 9 Old Mar 21st, 2017, 5:53 pm

Garage

Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

2000 R1100RT
post #6 of 9 Old Mar 21st, 2017, 8:56 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Welcome from Sugar Hill, GA

Take a look at those brake lines. If they are the old original rubber ones, they are just waiting to burst on you first time you really need them. If they have already been replaced with stainless steel braided after market, you are a step ahead and just that much safer.
And just like that, we're doing brake lines. This afternoon, after finishing up doing a front brake flush, I popped the R/H brake line. At least it happened in my garage and not on a twistie somewhere! New Spiegler lines on order. Now, on to getting practice taking Tupperware off.... Maybe get to the charcoal cannister while i'm at it!

Last edited by Father Time; Mar 21st, 2017 at 9:44 pm.
post #7 of 9 Old Mar 21st, 2017, 9:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Time View Post
And just like that, we're doing brake lines. This afternoon, after finishing up doing a front brake flush, I popped the R/H brake line. At least it happened in my garage and not on a twistie somewhere! New Spiegal lines on order. Now, on to getting practice taking Tupperware off.... Maybe get to the charcoal cannister while i'm at it!
I busted 2 before I got the message. First one was the short line from the rear MC to the hard line as I was leaving my garage. $65 later and a bleed, I was running again. 2 weeks later, I was again leaving and had no rear brakes. The soft line from the rear caliper had gone some time while I was riding and had leaked out all the fluid. I knew the front lines were literally weeks behind them. I bit the bullet and went for the Spiegler full set and tossed the new line i had bought into the trash. Didn't even bother trying to sell it to someone else knowing that it was a band aid and they needed to do all at once to be safe.

Canister is easy. Best is to go to the local auto supply and just buy a vacuum plug and put it on the purge valve if you aren't going to remove it entirely. I didn't mess with trying to plug the hose with a bolt, spent gun shell or whatever else I could find. It just needs to be plugged or removed. If removed, the 4 lines that hand off it to the throttle bodies need to be joined with a plastic barbed hose fitting and you are done.

Sounds like you are on your way. The LT is a wonderful bike and yes, they are getting older and have a few things to deal with like any other 16 year old. They aren't too daunting if you have some skills, tools and a good friend to help with the labor on some. I too have a 2001 and think it is probably the best of the bunch as the last without the I-ABS so you will never lose your breaks as long as the lines don't burst

Hope to see you at one of the meets in the coming years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0025.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	512.8 KB
ID:	124089  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #8 of 9 Old Mar 28th, 2017, 9:31 pm Thread Starter

Garage

A productive day in the garage. I received my Spiegler brake lines from STG ($15 cheaper than any other source I found) and changed them out. All went well, except for the rear MC to ABS. Man, is that a witch with a capital B! Also found a couple of plugged bleeder screws. To offset these small issues, I jumped into replacing the rear brake rotor. Expecting the worst from the mounting screws, i decided to just give it a go without applying heat. The screws came right out! Sometimes, it's the little victories.....
Voyager and bmwcoolk1200 like this.
post #9 of 9 Old Mar 28th, 2017, 10:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Time View Post
A productive day in the garage. I received my Spiegler brake lines from STG ($15 cheaper than any other source I found) and changed them out. All went well, except for the rear MC to ABS. Man, is that a witch with a capital B! Also found a couple of plugged bleeder screws. To offset these small issues, I jumped into replacing the rear brake rotor. Expecting the worst from the mounting screws, i decided to just give it a go without applying heat. The screws came right out! Sometimes, it's the little victories.....
I am glad they came out easily for you. Mine did also, but I heated them. I have found that given BMW's fondness for thread locker, my heat gun is one of my most valuable tools. If it isn't plastic, I apply heat unless I know for sure the fastener has no thread locker. This ensures more little victories.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in