Shhhhh...OFFICIAL Brown Wire Service Bulletin!!!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 11:49 am Thread Starter

Post "Brown Wire" Service Bulletin--"for comparison"

(snip/edited)

Redarding the cutting of the "BROWN WIRE..."

I realize this is a little late, as most forum members are in regions where it won't get hotter than 86 degrees F for a while again, but I clipped mine (actually put a switch in-between, so if I choose, I can switch back and use cheaper gas--which, as forum threads said, I don't think I am ever gonna switch back!).

I filled the tank with 89-octane, have had no knocking or pinging (and I've always used 89-octane anyway). And, just like those with much more knowledge and expertise on here than I'll EVER have posted before...the throttle response "lag" especially out of corners is gone (both above and below 86 degrees ambient temp), the bike just "feels stronger," and after a tank riding the same way as before, the same throttle patterns (endulging in a little rapid accelleration once in a while), the same roads, my MPG that has been in the 38-42 range for three months was 52.1.

Read further into the thread for the Service Bulletin...with explanation (you'll understand if you read the full thread-----edited)

Pete

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.

Last edited by petevandyke; Nov 15th, 2006 at 3:43 pm. Reason: See post below...Clarification of content of attachment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 12:06 pm

Nice...

Nice, Pete! How did you get your hands on this?

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #3 of 31 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 12:18 pm Thread Starter

Don't tell ANYONE, it's a SEEEEEEEEEECRET

Well, I took a couple days off and travelled out of state, found a BMW motorcycle service manager, staked out his house and used surveillance software to determine patterns of his comings and goings, then used a two-prong approach.

First, I cornered him and started crying because he made fun of my idea for a "DA" sticker (they weren't real tears, but I thought that might be enough to guilt him into giving me a copy of the bulletin that dealerships were told not to distribute).

That didn't work.

So, I went back to the laptop, realized that he had a 87.6557899% likelihood of going to the grocery store on the following Saturday after 5pm to stock up on football game snacks. I stealthily followed him as he did exactly that, and as he turned to head for home, I tossed my cell phone on the floor of my car, which faithful readers will know the results..., and proceeded to rear-end his SUV at 32.5 MPH. He felt so bad as I was again taken off on a back-board and c-collar that he slipped me a copy of the service bulletin, but made me promise not to reveal my source, saying to refer to him only as......"Deep Canisterectomy."

Pete

post #4 of 31 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 12:18 pm

For those of you reading this thread as new "news"; just make sure to install a $2 switch instead of simply cutting the wire. Makes for going back & forth much easier. Food for thought...
post #5 of 31 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 12:24 pm Thread Starter

it ain't news...hell even the bulletin is dated "july, 2001," and the advice that you and others whose technical knowledge and expertise DAILY make me feel like I should be riding the short bus FAR exceeds anything I could EVER post regarding these kinds of topics.

The only thing CLOSE to new about this is the actual bulletin, everyone...for REAL info, read the forum past posts for things that messenger, griff, eljeffe, dshealey, and others have posted on this topic, because those bits of info are truly worth your time--this is the closest thing I'll ever have to a "technical contribution" so I posted it, but hats are truly off to those senior members who teach us all---and through the process save us THOUSANDS of dollars!

Pete

post #6 of 31 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 12:26 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
Well, I took a couple days off and travelled out of state, found a BMW motorcycle service manager, staked out his house and used surveillance software to determine patterns of his comings and goings, then used a two-prong approach.

First, I cornered him and started crying because he made fun of my idea for a "DA" sticker (they weren't real tears, but I thought that might be enough to guilt him into giving me a copy of the bulletin that dealerships were told not to distribute).

That didn't work.

So, I went back to the laptop, realized that he had a 87.6557899% likelihood of going to the grocery store on the following Saturday after 5pm to stock up on football game snacks. I stealthily followed him as he did exactly that, and as he turned to head for home, I tossed my cell phone on the floor of my car, which faithful readers will know the results..., and proceeded to rear-end his SUV at 32.5 MPH. He felt so bad as I was again taken off on a back-board and c-collar that he slipped me a copy of the service bulletin, but made me promise not to reveal my source, saying to refer to him only as......"Deep Canisterectomy."

Pete
Are you saying that all it took was a phone call...???

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #7 of 31 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 12:28 pm

Talking

Quote:
hats are truly off to those senior members who teach us all---and through the process save us THOUSANDS of dollars!

Pete
which unfortunately we felt compelled to spend on farkles!!!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #8 of 31 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 12:33 pm

Quote:
it ain't news...hell even the bulletin is dated "july, 2001," ...
I didn't mean to offend...I think it's great. But I guarantee you that this whole thread will be "news" to many. It's so easy to take for granted that all of these topics are old news. But not to the guy that just bought an LT last week.
post #9 of 31 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 12:59 pm

As you know, this is not "news", and has been discussed here for years. However, it was posted once a few years ago and the group was threatened by BMW, and told that we could not publicly post Service Bulletins, or we could be face legal action. At one time there was a "service bulletin" file area, that was quickly removed.

Some of us have that file, and have shared it with people by personal email, but it cannot stay here on the site. This will probably be removed by a moderator as soon as they see it. So if anyone wants to keep a personal copy, grab it now and save it.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #10 of 31 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 1:43 pm

My 2001 LT (without power brakes thank you) has a build date of 9/2000 and does not have the "brown wire". It seems the brown wire start date 07/2000 is not totally correct. The only time my bike ever scared the *&%^ out of me was a few months after I bought it and I was pulling away from a stop sign in a good leaning turn and the motor died for a split second and then "came alive" with me holding on for dear life.

Dealer said they could only disconnect the temp sensor at the air filter to help with the problem and I have been riding it like that for the last 3+ years with no more heart stoppers like that one.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #11 of 31 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 1:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
As you know, this is not "news", and has been discussed here for years. However, it was posted once a few years ago and the group was threatened by BMW, and told that we could not publicly post Service Bulletins, or we could be face legal action. At one time there was a "service bulletin" file area, that was quickly removed.

Some of us have that file, and have shared it with people by personal email, but it cannot stay here on the site. This will probably be removed by a moderator as soon as they see it. So if anyone wants to keep a personal copy, grab it now and save it.
Yeah, something about those nasty copyright laws....

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #12 of 31 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 3:40 pm Thread Starter

Revised Posting...

EDIT -- Pete sez:

[/QUOTE]Per Section 110 of Copyright Law, "Fair Use of Copyrighted Materials"

As this forum is a non-profit "entity" and information shared, particularly technical information meant for maintenance and performance enhancement, meets the litmus test for education (in an online format), the attached is posted for comparison purposes only.

In other words, this is posted solely for informational and comparison purposes for the forum members of this non profit entity, so they may compare the information contained therein to information posted in various past "threads" regarding activation of the secondary ignition timing program--or as it is more frequently referred to on this site as "the brown wire issue."[/UNQUOTE]

Mod Sez:

Pete, good-hearted list member, but untrained in the mystic arts of Intellectual Property Law and policy, posts material the Administrators and Moderators long ago decided will not be allowed, due to concerns with Mother BMW wet noodle-lashing. Material duly vaporized.

Pete remains alive and well. living under an assumed name, we presume. No need to worry about reprisals from us, Pete -- but you might want to pay attention to that Germanic-looking guy on the corner in the dark glasses in the 750i )

Move along folks -- show's over ...

Last edited by mneblett; Nov 15th, 2006 at 4:59 pm.
post #13 of 31 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 4:24 pm

Quote:
.... and the group was threatened by BMW, and told that we could not publicly post Service Bulletins, or we could be face legal action. ....
I've only been on this forum since the middle of last year, but that is the first I've read of BM actually taking an interest in what's going on here. Has there been any feedback on duff final drives etc., etc?

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #14 of 31 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 4:37 pm

The contents of the official bulletin have been known for some time (although I acknowledge that some newbies may not know this). In particular, the bulletin states that your dealer will check your ignition timing, and then verify (with their computer) that the alternate ignition map has been implemented after cutting the brown wire.

As I've pointed out before - and I recognize this is probably NOT a big deal - if you take your bike to the dealer to cut the brown wire, you get a freebie check of ignition timing. Ignition timing is not checked at any regular major or minor service. If you care about having your timing checked, here's how to get it without paying for it.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #15 of 31 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 4:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolly
I've only been on this forum since the middle of last year, but that is the first I've read of BM actually taking an interest in what's going on here. Has there been any feedback on duff final drives etc., etc?
BMW continuously monitors this, and many other, BMW-related sites (verified by IP address trace). They _never_ post.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #16 of 31 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 4:59 pm

Quote:
Per Section 110 of Copyright Law, "Fair Use of Copyrighted Materials"

As this forum is a non-profit "entity" and information shared, particularly technical information meant for maintenance and performance enhancement, meets the litmus test for education (in an online format), the attached is posted for comparison purposes only.

In other words, this is posted solely for informational and comparison purposes for the forum members of this non profit entity, so they may compare the information contained therein to information posted in various past "threads" regarding activation of the secondary ignition timing program--or as it is more frequently referred to on this site as "the brown wire issue."
All that aside, our group was faced with possible legal action, so it was made a site rule that these could not be posted any longer. They were posted on the old group website, but subsequently removed.

If you have issue with that, contact the administrators. I am just the messenger. No one here had an issue with it, but BMW sure did. I think it is wrong, and that all service bulletins on any vehicle should be public domain, but BMW does not see it that way.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #17 of 31 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 5:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
BMW continuously monitors this, and many other, BMW-related sites (verified by IP address trace). They _never_ post.
Thought they must do, but where did the threat of legal action come from - BMWNA, or Europe ??

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #18 of 31 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 5:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolly
Thought they must do, but where did the threat of legal action come from - BMWNA, or Europe ??
BMWNA I am pretty sure. Randy will know the details.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #19 of 31 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 5:38 pm

Not only does BMW not allow TSB's for motorcycles to be posted on web groups, but I also tried to subscribe to BMW Automobile TSB's through Alldata.com. Found that Alldata cannot publish BMW service bulletins like they do MOST other cars, because BMW will not let them.

That is one thing that I certainly do not like about BMW, their holding so close to their chest service information for their cars. Try to get a service manual from BMW like you do most manufacturers! For many cars the dealers only have Bentley manuals, nothing original from BMW. For my 2001 740iL, there is absolutely NOTHING available, Bentley, BMW, or otherwise. The only thing I have been able to find is a CD of the BMW TIS system, which has SOME service information available, but that is rather sparse. Even that is not sold by BMW, so if you want it you are forced to get a bootleg copy, which are plentiful on eBay. I normally despise copying of copyrighted material and selling it, but in this case there was no other way for me to maintain my own vehicles! That witholding of service information from car owners should be illegal! Evidently it isn't, so I was forced to go the illegal route to get it.

I really like my two BMW cars, but after suffering the extreme difficulty in getting service manual type of information on them will probably not buy a BMW car again. At least they supply good service manuals for the motorcycles.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #20 of 31 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 5:43 pm Thread Starter

I HAVE NO ISSUE WITH THE ATTACHMENT BEING PULLED.

None.

Nada.

Zero.

I understand and have no issues with it, and respect it.

Would do the same.

NO PROBLEMO.

Um.....NICHTS!!!!

Honestly, no problems at all, makes complete sense to me, I put it up there with full understanding that people with more knowledge of the site's past and other issues (including contact with the boys from Beemer) would make the "call"

But for those who have bikes that fall in that range, let me add another tiny voice to the chorus...SNIP THE WIRE, even if you aren't going to be in hot weather, the damn bike runs great and gets better mileage!

Pete

post #21 of 31 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 8:15 pm

Quote:
I HAVE NO ISSUE WITH THE ATTACHMENT BEING PULLED.

Pete
You're a bad, bad, boy, you cell phone dropper. Go to your room! Rolled up newspaper is pending!!!!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #22 of 31 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 11:14 pm Thread Starter

hey hey hey

Now Grif, I keep telling you, A) I am NOT into that rough stuff and B) as flattering as it is for you to keep flirting with me like that, I am a confirmed heterosexual.

lol

post #23 of 31 Old Nov 16th, 2006, 6:45 am

Quote:
Now Grif, I keep telling you, A) I am NOT into that rough stuff and B) as flattering as it is for you to keep flirting with me like that, I am a confirmed heterosexual.

lol
See you at the motorcycle show Saturday? I'll be holding hands with another guy.....

my grandson

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #24 of 31 Old Nov 16th, 2006, 7:41 am

Question FD Failure Bulletin

Is it not time to release this gem?

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #25 of 31 Old Nov 16th, 2006, 8:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray
Is it not time to release this gem?
It was time to release it and all the others the day they were printed. Unfortunately, BMW does not believe that.

You can get TSB numbers for them, but the document itself is hoarded by BMW and the dealers. The only way we got hold of a couple were by dealers that have common sense.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #26 of 31 Old Nov 16th, 2006, 3:10 pm Thread Starter

I hope to be there in Ft Worth Sat...I'll be the one with a digital camera and a puddle of drool mumbling "need it, need it, want it, want it..."

post #27 of 31 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 9:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
Beg to differ............

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...=&view=&sb=&o=
post #28 of 31 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 9:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardenross
Ok -- so I'll make it: They _never_ post ... ... ... anything useful or otherwise engage in any resemblence to a conversation on topics of interest!

Better??

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #29 of 31 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 10:33 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Beg to differ...
Right. But those offers of help quickly deteriorated into BMW bashing and indignant demands for BMW to fix every little issue ever found on these bikes. Plus, several folks who called the Customer Relations number got little to no actual help.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #30 of 31 Old Nov 19th, 2006, 11:18 am
Just ridin'

Quote:
BMWNA I am pretty sure. Randy will know the details.
From the legal department of BMW Motorrad USA (BMW N.A. at the time).

As Mark said they do monitor this community and most others, but they will never post.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #31 of 31 Old Nov 19th, 2006, 11:20 am
Just ridin'

Quote:
That was then. You will not see them posting now.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in