Fault Code? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By leod029

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Mar 16th, 2017, 7:51 am Thread Starter

Fault Code?

Is there a fault code for excess (or inadequate) fuel pump pressure on my '03 LT?

2003 LT
1980 Gold Wing Interstate (still have it!)
1979 Kawasaki 750
1975 Suzuki 175
1963 Cushman Silver Eagle (wish I still had it!) (just bought another one!)
2016 Indian Scout 60 (She who must be obeyed needed a ride!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Mar 16th, 2017, 11:59 am

Re: Fault Code?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leod029 View Post
Is there a fault code for excess (or inadequate) fuel pump pressure on my '03 LT?
Fuel pressure is not monitored on the LT so no indication will be displayed as a code. Only way to check is to place a pressure gauge inline to validate proper pressure and regulator function.

What are your symptoms?

Some things can be checked visually like checking for turbulence inside the tank when the pump primes at key turn on through the filler port indicating possible ruptured internal rubber fuel lines, a common issue. Some fuel movement is normal as the return fuel enters at the bottom of the tank. Lots of motion or agitation or spraying fuel if the level is low is not a good sign.

Also if it is intermittent whatever it is, check for rushing air as you open the fuller cap indicating a plugged charcoal canister if it is still on the bike or a plugged vent line.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Mar 17th, 2017, 7:44 am Thread Starter

Thanks, I am having an issue with my local BMW stealer....

Last August I had them replace the submersible fuel lines. Left for a 2500 miles trip 10 days later, and every day the LT ran worse. Wouldn't start without opening throttle a bit (I KNOW this will mess up the TPS, but if it won't start, what do you do?), no idle (would choke), no power at low rpm.

Long story made short, barely got it home. This winter, I took it to another dealer several hundred miles away, and they found out that the wrong (non-immersable) fuel lines were used.

Also, they found the TVA went bad. $700 later, all is fixed.

Went back to my local stealer and got the standard "all warranty work needs to be done here" line. That was the beginning of the argument. Local stealer told me that the wrong lines would not be a cause of any TVA problem and that the fault codes would show what the problem was. Stealer admitted the wrong lines were use, but stated "they had nothing to do with any TVA problem". I was not sure what fault codes he was talking about, which led to this thread.

Looks like I will be getting my service completed a long ways from home!

Thanks, and I'm hoping for a trouble free year!

2003 LT
1979 Kawasaki 750
1975 Suzuki 175

post #4 of 6 Old Mar 17th, 2017, 8:13 am

Quote:

Last August I had them replace the submersible fuel lines. Left for a 2500 miles trip 10 days later, and every day the LT ran worse. Wouldn't start without opening throttle a bit (I KNOW this will mess up the TPS, but if it won't start, what do you do?), no idle (would choke), no power at low rpm.

Long story made short, barely got it home. This winter, I took it to another dealer several hundred miles away, and they found out that the wrong (non-immersable) fuel lines were used.

Also, they found the TVA went bad. $700 later, all is fixed.

Went back to my local stealer and got the standard "all warranty work needs to be done here" line. That was the beginning of the argument. Local stealer told me that the wrong lines would not be a cause of any TVA problem and that the fault codes would show what the problem was. Stealer admitted the wrong lines were use, but stated "they had nothing to do with any TVA problem". I was not sure what fault codes he was talking about, which led to this thread.

Looks like I will be getting my service completed a long ways from home!

Thanks, and I'm hoping for a trouble free year!
That is a sad story. IF the initial fuel line repair was done at an authorized BMW dealer, I would inform the mother ship and I would be making a claim back to them for a full refund and the cost of the future repair. If it was not a BMW trained shop, I would just make the claim for a full refund.

The TVA is another story and they don't go bad very often. If the TVA is not functioning properly, you may get a code in the ECU for an implausible signal or switch failure or both. Those errors would need to be verified as they occur if the TVA is unplugged and run but the logs would state that the issue is not currently present. Currently present errors would be bad connections, plug not seated or a bad TVA.

Nothing would be recorded for the fuel as stated before.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bmwcoolk1200; Mar 17th, 2017 at 9:50 am.
post #5 of 6 Old Mar 17th, 2017, 8:24 am

Quote:
As Gordon (BmwCoolK1200) told your there is NO fault codes directly related to system monitory fuel pressure.
HOWEVER, there are at least 2 types of symptoms, one of them being an indirect fault code:

(1) engine behavior at various RPM or conditions (does it do it cold or warm - is it at full-power or at low-power...). This type of troubleshooting is common to most fuel-injection systems having similar design (pump in-tank with returned hose). Many later BMW motorcycles after 2005 have a non-return hose system (from fuel-rail back to tank) and these can indirectly monitor fuel pressure (like many modern cars)

(2) when you run such engine having low-fuel delivery (cause by lack of pressure / capacity), the EFI system will eventually trow other codes. BOSH Motronic we have is not OBD2 compliant and as such the EFI codes are pretty limited. But in most cases you would get a code that says the system is running at extreme compensation - trying to adjust the "too lean" mixture. One code seen would be: 4400 - Lambda-Control, Upper control limit reached

Sadly this state of affair you have seen is not only for BMW motorcycles, BUT also in many car dealers and repair shop. Many can change muffler, brakes, oil, tires, but my rough guess would be less than 50% are good at troubleshooting EFI systems.

P.S. 1: The TVA (idle-actuator) has no effect on fuel-pressure OR power at higher RPM. It will of course cause problem to maintain proper idle (cold or warm) and will cause issue to start engine cold. In fact, I have done test where the TVA was removed completely. Assuming the engine was warmed up before, you could ride all day long but the idle will be too low and engine would stall at idle throttle position (unless you manually compensate).

P.S. 2: monitoring fuel pressure (with bike running on center-stand) is not "rocket science". Even you could buy a medium grade fuel-pressure-tester kit for less than $100 (various test to be done cold and warm - some engine running - other static). And same fuel pressure tester kit could be also used on many cars and motorcycles brand. I fail to see why many dealer do not always do these tests... with such symptoms that you describe.

P.S. 3: installing non-submersible fuel hoses inside fuel-tank ..OR.. fuel hoses not rated for proper pressure is borderline criminal in my opinion.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 95,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

Last edited by sailor; Mar 17th, 2017 at 9:12 pm.
post #6 of 6 Old Mar 17th, 2017, 11:44 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, I now have a bit more information to use while continuing the "discussion" with the repair shop.

To answer the question, yes, it is an authorized BMW dealer, signs, new bikes on the floor and all....found out that the main mechanic is not a BMW certified technician, just a "motorcycle mechanic school" grad.

Kind of explains why there was a problem in the first place.

Thanks again for your aggregate wisdom, this site (and the people) is the best!
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

2003 LT
1979 Kawasaki 750
1975 Suzuki 175

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in