fork play? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By saddleman
  • 2 Post By Voyager

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Mar 14th, 2017, 1:26 am Thread Starter

fork play?

as I brake I can feel there is play in the front fork as if the main fork bearing would be loose, allowing the wheel to play back and forth.

now I obviously don't like this and I can't really see where it comes from as it is covered with 1000 fairings, so that's why I need to ask where most likely to be coming from and where do I start taking it apart....

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Mar 14th, 2017, 8:05 am

Re: fork play?

I also have a little bit of play in my front end. I suspect it is the ball joints in the fork bridges showing signs of wear. I can feel it when I apply the front brakes. I expect I will have to eventually replace them unless someone else has a different explanation. I imagine worn front wheel bearings could also cause some play if bad enough.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Mar 14th, 2017, 8:11 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radu Georgescu View Post
as I brake I can feel there is play in the front fork as if the main fork bearing would be loose, allowing the wheel to play back and forth.

now I obviously don't like this and I can't really see where it comes from as it is covered with 1000 fairings, so that's why I need to ask where most likely to be coming from and where do I start taking it apart....

thanks
I have not heard of this problem often here on the forum. I would start at the brakes and work my way to the less accessible components.

Check that both calipers are tight with no loose bolts or play in the pads. Might want to have someone apply the front brake and then try to turn the front wheel back and forth. Obviously, need to slightly raise the front wheel with a jack under the engine.

If calipers and pads look good, check the wheel bearings. Have someone hold the forks straight and try to move the wheel side to side where it passes between the fork legs. If this looks good, then I would grab the fork legs at the axle location and try to shake them front to back. If there is any significant play you should feel it. Be sure the bike is well supported and held by straps so you don't topple it off the centerstand and jack.

If there is play, it could be in one of, I think from memory, four places. Either side of the rear of the "A-arm" (I don't have the fiche in front of me to get the BMW name for this), the ball joint at the front of the A-arm or the steering head bearing. You may need a second person to look at, or hold their hand near, each of these locations to look for and feel for motion. I suggest you first review the fiche diagrams at Max BMW or Bob's BMW to confirm the joint locations I referenced here. It has been nearly a year since I had my LT stripped down so my memory may not be precise.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old Mar 14th, 2017, 1:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I have not heard of this problem often here on the forum. I would start at the brakes and work my way to the less accessible components.

Check that both calipers are tight with no loose bolts or play in the pads. Might want to have someone apply the front brake and then try to turn the front wheel back and forth. Obviously, need to slightly raise the front wheel with a jack under the engine.

If calipers and pads look good, check the wheel bearings. Have someone hold the forks straight and try to move the wheel side to side where it passes between the fork legs. If this looks good, then I would grab the fork legs at the axle location and try to shake them front to back. If there is any significant play you should feel it. Be sure the bike is well supported and held by straps so you don't topple it off the centerstand and jack.

If there is play, it could be in one of, I think from memory, four places. Either side of the rear of the "A-arm" (I don't have the fiche in front of me to get the BMW name for this), the ball joint at the front of the A-arm or the steering head bearing. You may need a second person to look at, or hold their hand near, each of these locations to look for and feel for motion. I suggest you first review the fiche diagrams at Max BMW or Bob's BMW to confirm the joint locations I referenced here. It has been nearly a year since I had my LT stripped down so my memory may not be precise.
Just looked at the fiche and I can see where the rear A-arm ( trailing arm) supports could be one possible cause area of play with the bearings mounted back there. I have not had that area apart yet so it didn't come to mind. One more place for me to check when I get to it. it is very slight for me but it is noticeable when I tap on the front brakes that something is moving that shouldn't be.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #5 of 9 Old Mar 14th, 2017, 3:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I don't require much fork play. I'm always ready to jump on and ride!
post #6 of 9 Old Mar 14th, 2017, 3:49 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff8stuff View Post
I don't require much fork play. I'm always ready to jump on and ride!
Don't quit your day job just yet.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #7 of 9 Old Mar 14th, 2017, 8:28 pm
Enjoy The Ride

My 04 LT has had some fork play for the last 150,000 miles. I've never bothered to find out why.
Patric likes this.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #8 of 9 Old Mar 15th, 2017, 9:10 pm Thread Starter

what a solution: I lifted the bike, checked the play, had some loose screws, tightened those -> no more play.

haha!
post #9 of 9 Old Mar 16th, 2017, 9:48 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radu Georgescu View Post
what a solution: I lifted the bike, checked the play, had some loose screws, tightened those -> no more play.

haha!
Which screws were loose?
bmwcoolk1200 and JaL3_SD like this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in