WheelDock - anyone use with the LT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Nov 14th, 2006, 9:10 pm Thread Starter

Question WheelDock - anyone use with the LT?

I'm looking at purchase of a product called Wheeldock. It looks great for garage storage and for trailer. Anyone use the Wheeldock with their LT?

The video at Wheeldock.com looks pretty good, but im wondering if the top-heavy LT could render that thing useless in a garage.

Prolly looking at over $300 and just wonering if anyone has tried it...

thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Nov 14th, 2006, 9:43 pm

I use a Condor on the Trailer, in the shop and van. Works well, is well built and very versatile with the mount kit.

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)
post #3 of 11 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 6:29 am

I have use the condor also in a trailer it works wonderfully. tying down these monsters is a whole different storer though. From now on I will just ride it its more fun anyways.

tony

post #4 of 11 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 8:43 am
Prodigal Son

Thumbs up A good piece of equipment

Well built, good heavy materials, welds, mechanicals etc.

Bought one for CCR 05 in order to carry LT .
Passenger did not want to ride that far and I also carried a spare lift for the tech session.

Worked as descibed by maker.
Short coming: the lever is hard to get to on the LT due to the fairing and seat to front tire distance

ed early
Life is a Blind Curve , Just Ride It, Low and Inside
'00' Canyon Red
post #5 of 11 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 9:05 am

Wheeldock

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYchris02
I'm looking at purchase of a product called Wheeldock. It looks great for garage storage and for trailer. Anyone use the Wheeldock with their LT?

The video at Wheeldock.com looks pretty good, but im wondering if the top-heavy LT could render that thing useless in a garage.

Prolly looking at over $300 and just wonering if anyone has tried it...

thanx
I have been using one for over a year now. I use it every time I park my bike in the garage. I have it so I can use it if I was to haul it om my trailer. Works great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB090003.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	445.5 KB
ID:	8190  

Jerry Mathison
Woodbine, Iowa
2008 Gold Wing
2005 Ocean Blue (Sold)
BMWMOA #25294

post #6 of 11 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 9:25 am

backrest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrym
I have been using one for over a year now. I use it every time I park my bike in the garage. I have it so I can use it if I was to haul it om my trailer. Works great.
Jerry,

What is that backrest?
I like it !!
please send more info and pics.
Thanks,

Jeff Goodwin
Austin, Texas

"Life is a coin.
You can spend it anyway you wish,
but you can only spend it once."

post #7 of 11 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 10:57 am

wow, that would be PERFECT for my garage...too bad it's so damn expensive...if only they would offer a group BMWLT.com discount? hint hint

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #8 of 11 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 11:12 am

Back Rest

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbazi
Jerry,

What is that backrest?
I like it !!
please send more info and pics.
Thanks,
It is the back rest off my Bak rest. I cut a wood block and covered it with a piece of metal and use velcro to secure it to the Corbin Smuggler and the back rest itself so I can remove it to raise the seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7280005.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	8191   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7280004.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	8192   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7280003.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	8193  

Jerry Mathison
Woodbine, Iowa
2008 Gold Wing
2005 Ocean Blue (Sold)
BMWMOA #25294

post #9 of 11 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 11:52 am
Gold Supporter

Thumbs up I have a wheeldock

Bought mine two years ago and love it. With the Condor you must ride over a fulcrum lock the wheel in place. It is sometimes hard to back out from a standing stop. The wheeldock is flat and you can push the bike backwards with out reverse. It also locks the front wheel in place with a nematic cylinder. You have to push the lock down with your foot to release the bike. It can be hard to release but I like the security and stability better. Using it now for winter storage.

It is portable so I can easily remove it from the trailer and use it in the garage. Love it!

2005 - K1200 LT Blue
The best in life is yet to come!
post #10 of 11 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 1:12 pm

I met the owner of the company at 2 separate rallys. Really a nice guy and a great product. My neighbor bought one for his ST 1300. We built a shim for his to get a good tight fit. It works great. Myself, being the tight-wod that I am, I copied the basic idea and built one for me and a buddy of mine with rectangular tubing. The gas cyclinder you can get out of California, but they are a little pricey. I want to say in the $85 range. I built a cantilever system for the prototype, but scrapped that in favor of just placing a block at the rear of the chock. It makes it a little difficult to remove from the trailer if you are parked downhill, otherwise it work great. Just drive on get off, hands free, Then secure with tie dows for the trip.

Doc
P.S.
I told the guy that owns the company that I built my own at the second rally in R.R. New Mexico and he kind of looked at me funny! Oops! He was actually pretty cool about it.
post #11 of 11 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 9:56 pm

Another wheel stand option is the Grab. This is the made by the same company that makes the Eazy Rizer and Big Blue bike lifts. The Grab doesn't have a cantilever mechanism and just relies on the friction from pushing the tire into the V shaped tubular frame of the stand. On a moving trailer forward force would need to be applied with tie downs or a wheel blocked to keep the bike from moving backwards. It is currently on sale for $199. Actually all their products are currently available at a 10% discount.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in