Front tire question. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Mar 8th, 2017, 12:25 am Thread Starter

Front tire question.

Good evening everyone.

This is for a 1999 KLT.

So I need to replace the front tire again. I have the Metz 880 which lasted me since October 2014 and many many miles.

I am thinking about the Avon AM26 front tire, Bias Ply and 58V rating. I never used this tire or any Avon tire. They are reasonably priced compared to the Metzler.

I now have the Bridgestone 020 Bias ply tire on the rear....replaced few months ago.

Anyone used that AM26 tire ?

Feedback on it, how it handles, how long it lasts,....etc. ??

Thanks so much,
AJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Mar 8th, 2017, 6:45 am

Re: Front tire question.

I have one mounted up waiting for me to troubleshoot some warpage in the front rotors so I have not used it for more than half a mile before I removed that front wheel. I got it because another LT rider was using it and liked it but each has their own style and comfort zone. It does seem to be a reasonable tire though for the LT.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 Old Mar 8th, 2017, 3:46 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
I have one mounted up waiting for me to troubleshoot some warpage in the front rotors so I have not used it for more than half a mile before I removed that front wheel. I got it because another LT rider was using it and liked it but each has their own style and comfort zone. It does seem to be a reasonable tire though for the LT.
We are talking about the Avon AM26? .................just to make sure we're on the same page.

Thanks.

post #4 of 23 Old Mar 8th, 2017, 4:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_forever View Post
We are talking about the Avon AM26? .................just to make sure we're on the same page.

Thanks.
Got it on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 23 Old Mar 8th, 2017, 11:35 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
There are many other places that sell this tire cheaper than Amazon. Personally I HATE Amazon and would never give them my business.
post #6 of 23 Old Mar 9th, 2017, 7:01 am

Quote:
There are many other places that sell this tire cheaper than Amazon. Personally I HATE Amazon and would never give them my business.
Simply showing that it was an AM26. Don't care where you spend your pennies.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #7 of 23 Old Mar 9th, 2017, 12:55 pm

Quote:
Personally I HATE Amazon and would never give them my business.
I love Amazon. I am a homebrewer and while I try to support local brick & motor they rarely have what I want and are 1/2-3/4 hr. away. When I try to order from mail order they tack on crazy minimums or shipping & handling. With Amazon prime I can get what I want, cheap, within two days!

Plus, all I read these days is Kindle, from AMAZON!

MarkF
2009 K1200LT

post #8 of 23 Old Mar 9th, 2017, 1:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
I love Amazon. I am a homebrewer and while I try to support local brick & motor they rarely have what I want and are 1/2-3/4 hr. away. When I try to order from mail order they tack on crazy minimums or shipping & handling. With Amazon prime I can get what I want, cheap, within two days!

Plus, all I read these days is Kindle, from AMAZON!
Not trying to make this an Amazon thread but I also have a prime account and take advantage of the 2 day free shipping a lot. No, they aren't always the lowest price but they almost always are close, plus, if I use only one place to order online from, i only have my credit card on file at one place, not a dozen or more waiting to be hacked. The money and time I save in driving around looking for things usually will make up for any difference in cost. The customer service i have received even for items sold via a 3rd party is extremely good. I have no problem with the.

Brew on through dude!

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #9 of 23 Old Mar 9th, 2017, 5:21 pm

Since you had good service from Metz. I'd stick with the Metz. Go here for good pricing and free shipping.
https://www.jakewilson.com/t/3789/Me...torcycle-Tires

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #10 of 23 Old Mar 10th, 2017, 5:56 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
Since you had good service from Metz. I'd stick with the Metz. Go here for good pricing and free shipping.
https://www.jakewilson.com/t/3789/Me...torcycle-Tires
The tires on this site don't even work for the LT.
post #11 of 23 Old Mar 10th, 2017, 6:05 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Not trying to make this an Amazon thread but I also have a prime account and take advantage of the 2 day free shipping a lot. No, they aren't always the lowest price but they almost always are close, plus, if I use only one place to order online from, i only have my credit card on file at one place, not a dozen or more waiting to be hacked. The money and time I save in driving around looking for things usually will make up for any difference in cost. The customer service i have received even for items sold via a 3rd party is extremely good. I have no problem with the.

Brew on through dude!
Yes it is all nice and good if you're a buyer, it is all done at the expense of the seller where Amazon is very abusive to sellers and some buyers take advantage of this by keeping the item for 45- 60 days, damaging it, or even swapping it for their old broken item then returning it to the seller, filing a claim and demanding a full refund knowing that amazon will most likely grant them their claim at seller's expense, meanwhile Amazon makes millions in commissions off sellers. There are many sites that talk about this and how hard it is to get through to Amazon and instead you get some idiot in India who is reading from a text and don't understand anything. I avoid supporting this tyrannical system.
post #12 of 23 Old Mar 10th, 2017, 7:01 am

Quote:
Yes it is all nice and good if you're a buyer, it is all done at the expense of the seller where Amazon is very abusive to sellers and some buyers take advantage of this by keeping the item for 45- 60 days, damaging it, or even swapping it for their old broken item then returning it to the seller, filing a claim and demanding a full refund knowing that amazon will most likely grant them their claim at seller's expense, meanwhile Amazon makes millions in commissions off sellers. There are many sites that talk about this and how hard it is to get through to Amazon and instead you get some idiot in India who is reading from a text and don't understand anything. I avoid supporting this tyrannical system.
Yep.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #13 of 23 Old Mar 10th, 2017, 7:13 am

Quote:
The tires on this site don't even work for the LT.
I am sorry but you are incorrect AND I have bought several from them for my LT. You can also call them.
See below:
120/70ZR-17 (58W) Metzeler Roadtec 01 Front Tire

Fits: 1999 BMW K1200LT

Part# 1655410001

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #14 of 23 Old Mar 10th, 2017, 10:55 am

Quote:
So are you saying all these sellers going thru Amazon would prefer I didn't buy from them at all?

I'd be happy to buy direct if they would sell me a small, light $10 item and only charge me $5 shipping.

Instead they require $35-$50 in sales and charge $12-$18 shipping.

MarkF
2009 K1200LT

post #15 of 23 Old Mar 10th, 2017, 11:10 am
Lifetime Supporter

WOW! So instead of the regular Radial vs Bias, Metz vs Bridgestone vs Avon arguments we normally get when the subject of tires comes up, we get an Amazon sucks or not political argument.

So anyone want to talk about oil?
post #16 of 23 Old Mar 10th, 2017, 11:14 am

Quote:
So are you saying all these sellers going thru Amazon would prefer I didn't buy from them at all?

I'd be happy to buy direct if they would sell me a small, light $10 item and only charge me $5 shipping.

I do see some of his point. There are people who abuse any system such as the woman who buys a fancy dress, wears it once, and then returns it. People do this at brick and mortar also and the issue of offshore poor English support is not limited to Amazon.

Some things I just can't get at a local store or find close but I do patronize my local brick and mortar when I can but much of that will be long gone in favor of an on line business model in our lifetime.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #17 of 23 Old Mar 11th, 2017, 1:49 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I don't buy many LT parts from Amazon, but they are great for almost everything else I buy. I have bought my last few tires from Southwest Mototire (or something like that) and have found good prices, good service (had to return one defective Metz - made in Mexico) and free shipping.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #18 of 23 Old Mar 11th, 2017, 1:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
That is your call. If they were as bad as you assert, they would have no sellers left. The free market will correct such abuses over time as sellers go elsewhere.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #19 of 23 Old Mar 12th, 2017, 3:53 pm

I have been perfectly happy with my Bridgestone BT 020 tires, both front and rear. I find them to be nimble and responsive with good road feel, with a slight bouquet of burning rubber when I am so inclined (couldn't resist). The pair was $284 delivered in 2 days from Tires Unlimited last November. I have had Metzelers on my K1200LT and my Triumph Trophy 1200. The difference is refreshing. Much sportier and more flickable. Mixing just didn't seem worth the effort. I'd rather see how the matched tires wear to better inform my next purchase down the road.

2002 Toscana Green K1200LTE
1998 Triumph Trophy 1200
1982 Yamaha Special II 650 (sold)
1968 Triumph Trophy 500 (sold)
1968 Puch 125 (passed along)
post #20 of 23 Old Mar 12th, 2017, 5:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
I am sorry but you are incorrect AND I have bought several from them for my LT. You can also call them.
See below:
120/70ZR-17 (58W) Metzeler Roadtec 01 Front Tire

Fits: 1999 BMW K1200LT

Part# 1655410001
Clearly you did not read what I was looking for. I am not looking for a Radial tire, looking for a Bias ply and was asking about a specific tire which the site you provided does not list. I already have a bias ply tire mounted on the rear, not looking to mount a radial on the front.
post #21 of 23 Old Mar 12th, 2017, 5:32 pm Thread Starter

Quote:

I think you are completely missing my point here and it is ok.
post #22 of 23 Old Mar 12th, 2017, 5:36 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillmoorPete View Post
I have been perfectly happy with my Bridgestone BT 020 tires, both front and rear. I find them to be nimble and responsive with good road feel, with a slight bouquet of burning rubber when I am so inclined (couldn't resist). The pair was $284 delivered in 2 days from Tires Unlimited last November. I have had Metzelers on my K1200LT and my Triumph Trophy 1200. The difference is refreshing. Much sportier and more flickable. Mixing just didn't seem worth the effort. I'd rather see how the matched tires wear to better inform my next purchase down the road.
That is what I had when I first bought the LT. The front bridgestone didn't last long and had cupping issues, I would NEVER buy that tire again. I replaced it with the Metz 880 and even though the tire right now is worn, it is uniform and even...no cupping.

The rear bridgestone is a good tire. I thought I try the Avon and see since the price is much lower than the Metz for the front.
post #23 of 23 Old Jun 30th, 2017, 9:49 pm

Question Re: Front tire question.

So.... did anyone actually try out that Avon AM26 front bias ply tire????

I'm also ready to pull trigger on Shinko 777 rear tire.... the Metzeler product is JUNK except for the high life mileage.... personally I'd rather make it around that last corner than lose it on hockey puck tires.

2001 K1200LT mods incl 300w 10" subwoofer rear box, Clarion marine stereo, HID low beam, clear front signals w/led lighting, Motolights fork spotlights, LED taillight bulbs. Got it bent from accident PO and replaced rear subframe and other bits.
1994 Suzuki Intruder 1400 custom bars, corbin seat, HID headlight, LED tail, 6sigma jet kit, cobra exhaust, HD clutch springs. Rescued from rotting under a tree.
2004 Suzuki SV1000S double bubble windscreen, Yoshimura RS3 pipes no baffle, frame sliders, Michelin pilot powers, LED signals. This is Humpty Dumpty... when she falls over (crash) I fix her up again. Rebuilt from writeoff PO crashed. Complete front fairing and rear subrame rebuild.
2007 Suzuki SV650 naked with yoshimura RS3 exhaust, frame sliders. This is the wife's bike.
Owner at

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in