Radiator Hose Change - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 Old Mar 6th, 2017, 11:15 pm Thread Starter

Smile Radiator Hose Change

I have 153K miles on my 1999 K1200LT and still using the original radiator hoses. When should I change the radiator hoses or am I past due? If you have changed yours, is there an alternate hose other than the BMW ones?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old Mar 6th, 2017, 11:53 pm

Re: Radiator Hose Change

No alternative to BMW parts. I replaced all mine when my 01 LT was 15 years old. Though the mileage was only 24k. I think yours is due!
post #3 of 53 Old Mar 7th, 2017, 8:50 am
Lifetime Supporter

...as well as the fuel lines, including the ones in the tank.
jkersh1 likes this.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 53 Old Mar 7th, 2017, 9:23 am

Also, how are your brake lines?
jkersh1 likes this.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 53 Old Mar 7th, 2017, 10:25 am Thread Starter

I saw this set of hoses on ebay. What's your opinion? BMW K 1200 LT GT RS 1998-2010 HIGH PERFORMANCE SILICONE RADIATOR HOSES BLACK | eBay
I changed the brake lines to Braided ones except the ones going to the front. My front brake lines were replaced two years ago and now they are leaking. I just had custom ones made for for the front yesterday. I will definitely be changing the fuel hoses inside and outside of the tank since I have torn my bike down and getting ready to have it painted. By the way, I replaced all of the transmission seals and front shaft bearing along with the clutch, rear main seal, slave clutch and rebuilt the final drive 40K miles ago. I am getting ready for a 5500 mile trip to California, Utah, Arizona and back to Alabama this summer. I am hoping that I am not missing anything.
Hilton likes this.
post #6 of 53 Old Mar 7th, 2017, 11:24 am

I just had custom ones made for for the front yesterday.

Care to share where you got the lines made?

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
post #7 of 53 Old Mar 7th, 2017, 8:26 pm Thread Starter

B & J Hydraulic Co Inc
Address: 1661 Old 41 Hwy NW, Marietta, GA 30060
Phone: (770) 428-7029
Attn: Joey
Hilton and Tricky_dickey like this.
post #8 of 53 Old Mar 7th, 2017, 9:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvpadgett View Post
I saw this set of hoses on ebay. What's your opinion? BMW K 1200 LT GT RS 1998-2010 HIGH PERFORMANCE SILICONE RADIATOR HOSES BLACK | eBay
I changed the brake lines to Braided ones except the ones going to the front. My front brake lines were replaced two years ago and now they are leaking. I just had custom ones made for for the front yesterday. I will definitely be changing the fuel hoses inside and outside of the tank since I have torn my bike down and getting ready to have it painted. By the way, I replaced all of the transmission seals and front shaft bearing along with the clutch, rear main seal, slave clutch and rebuilt the final drive 40K miles ago. I am getting ready for a 5500 mile trip to California, Utah, Arizona and back to Alabama this summer. I am hoping that I am not missing anything.
Just looked at those Ebay hoses and i would have a concern about the Y pipe as it has to have a union and I can't see how it was done under what looks like black electrical tape. Without knowing that, I would be hard pressed to buy them even at that price. It still may be a good buy for the other 3 hoses that are single piece as individually, they would be over $150 US and you could get a good look at the Y pipe.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #9 of 53 Old Mar 8th, 2017, 1:31 pm

Quote:
I am getting ready for a 5500 mile trip to California, Utah, Arizona and back to Alabama this summer. I am hoping that I am not missing anything.
Im prepping my bike for a 48 state trip in May so I am concerned with reliability much like you. :-)
post #10 of 53 Old Mar 8th, 2017, 3:29 pm Thread Starter

I reached out to them and they have indicated that they have sold many of the hose set without any issues. I just sent an email to them asking about the Y shape hose connection. I will let you know what the reply is. The price for the set is excellent. I will have to purchase the hose clamps as well since you need a Silicon hose clamp. By the way, I went to another vendor and priced the clamps and they are about the same price. It is amazing that the entire hose set from BMW is over $350.00 Just madness!!!!
post #11 of 53 Old Mar 8th, 2017, 3:59 pm

Quote:
I reached out to them and they have indicated that they have sold many of the hose set without any issues. I just sent an email to them asking about the Y shape hose connection. I will let you know what the reply is. The price for the set is excellent. I will have to purchase the hose clamps as well since you need a Silicon hose clamp. By the way, I went to another vendor and priced the clamps and they are about the same price. It is amazing that the entire hose set from BMW is over $350.00 Just madness!!!!
Do let me know what you find and what type of clamp is required that you mention for silicon hoses. The hose replacement is definitely on my list so saving that much if they are good quality would be a plus.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #12 of 53 Old Mar 8th, 2017, 5:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
They look very interesting. Did you check the shipping cost from th UK?

If their formed "Y" holds up, it eliminates several potential leak points as compared to the stock setup. Let us know how they work if you go this route. Mine are 10 years old and I will likely replace at the next coolant change. Mine still look good and are flexible, but past 10 years is living on borrowed time.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #13 of 53 Old Mar 8th, 2017, 8:08 pm

FYI Silicon Hoses have been very popular on dirt bike motors for years.

Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking about doing mine
post #14 of 53 Old Mar 8th, 2017, 9:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
They look very interesting. Did you check the shipping cost from th UK?

If their formed "Y" holds up, it eliminates several potential leak points as compared to the stock setup. Let us know how they work if you go this route. Mine are 10 years old and I will likely replace at the next coolant change. Mine still look good and are flexible, but past 10 years is living on borrowed time.
Even if I can only use the other hoses and not the Y , I still save $100 over the BMW parts. It was $14.99 shipping and 84.98 GBP total so about $103 US. I will let you know what I get when I get it. Hope it was not a waste of money but we will see. Sometimes you have to take the risk.
bob1811, Voyager and RemonLT like this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Last edited by bmwcoolk1200; Mar 8th, 2017 at 10:54 pm.
post #15 of 53 Old Mar 9th, 2017, 8:01 am
Lifetime Supporter

The price on these makes them very interesting indeed. I have one concern. They are silicone. Silicone is said to be much more permeable than regular rubber. That is something I don't understand as silicone is used to seal a lot of things, (aquariums for example) that hold water, but who am I to argue with the scientists at Gates rubber?

On top of the permeability of the material itself, my understanding is that because silicone doesn't adhere to the flanges like EPDM, it requires wider clamps with higher clamping forces to prevent leaks.

If these are 15 times more permeable to water, are they going to be a problem on long rides?

Will the extra cost of more coolant eventually out weigh the initial savings on the hoses?
post #16 of 53 Old Mar 9th, 2017, 9:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff8stuff View Post
The price on these makes them very interesting indeed. I have one concern. They are silicone. Silicone is said to be much more permeable than regular rubber. That is something I don't understand as silicone is used to seal a lot of things, (aquariums for example) that hold water, but who am I to argue with the scientists at Gates rubber?

On top of the permeability of the material itself, my understanding is that because silicone doesn't adhere to the flanges like EPDM, it requires wider clamps with higher clamping forces to prevent leaks.

If these are 15 times more permeable to water, are they going to be a problem on long rides?

Will the extra cost of more coolant eventually out weigh the initial savings on the hoses?
Interesting comment. I have been reading about the pros and cons of using silicone hoses and none of the links i have read yet mention anything about permeability and leaks other than at the clamps. Special clamps need to be used like the lined worm gear type to prevent extruding, shearing and damage from the band notches and I plan on getting them when i replace my hoses.

If there is a link to the permeability issue you mentioned, I would like to read it as I seem to be the first to bite on this hose set from the current audience. I would think that if these hoses would weep from inside, they would be useless so something must prevent that.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #17 of 53 Old Mar 9th, 2017, 11:28 am Thread Starter

I reached out to the mfg and they indicated that the Y hose is fused together and they have had no issues with any of the hoses. This is the URL for the clamps. BMW K 1200 LT GT RS 1998-2010 STAINLESS STEEL RADIATOR HOSE CLIPS CLIP KIT | eBay
With shipping and handling it will cost me approximately $135.00. I am going to purchase them and observe them on my bike for the next 3-4 months before I start my 5500 trip. I will keep you posted once I install them. Since I am buying the hoses, I see that the shipping of the clamps are free.
post #18 of 53 Old Mar 9th, 2017, 12:05 pm

Quote:
I reached out to the mfg and they indicated that the Y hose is fused together and they have had no issues with any of the hoses. This is the URL for the clamps. BMW K 1200 LT GT RS 1998-2010 STAINLESS STEEL RADIATOR HOSE CLIPS CLIP KIT | eBay
With shipping and handling it will cost me approximately $135.00. I am going to purchase them and observe them on my bike for the next 3-4 months before I start my 5500 trip. I will keep you posted once I install them. Since I am buying the hoses, I see that the shipping of the clamps are free.
Dang, I didn't see anything for the clamps. I will check tonight as I can't get to Ebay from where I work. Thanks for the link.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #19 of 53 Old Mar 9th, 2017, 12:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Interesting comment. I have been reading about the pros and cons of using silicone hoses and none of the links i have read yet mention anything about permeability and leaks other than at the clamps. Special clamps need to be used like the lined worm gear type to prevent extruding, shearing and damage from the band notches and I plan on getting them when i replace my hoses.

If there is a link to the permeability issue you mentioned, I would like to read it as I seem to be the first to bite on this hose set from the current audience. I would think that if these hoses would weep from inside, they would be useless so something must prevent that.
I know this was an extensively talked about issue 7 or 8 years ago. A lot of the youngsters with souped up rice rockets were going to silicone hoses because that's what real racers were using and because they came in bright colors. The cars with really high horsepower use them because of their heat tolerance, but the advice was not to use them on the street because of the permeability and connection issues. I don't know that you can still find it, but Gates published a study comparing their own silicone vs EPDM rubber. The conclusion was that silicone was 15 times more permeable. I don't think you would ever see weeping. I've never seen weeping on any radiator hose, but have found them to be damp on a cool morning after a long drive the day before. Looking at the hoses offered on ebay, I wonder if the purpose of the 'tape' is to reduce the loss of coolant.

I did find this that has a small mention of the issue at the bottom of the page. https://www.siliconehose.com/blog/si...s-rubber-hose/
post #20 of 53 Old Mar 9th, 2017, 1:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff8stuff View Post
I know this was an extensively talked about issue 7 or 8 years ago. A lot of the youngsters with souped up rice rockets were going to silicone hoses because that's what real racers were using and because they came in bright colors. The cars with really high horsepower use them because of their heat tolerance, but the advice was not to use them on the street because of the permeability and connection issues. I don't know that you can still find it, but Gates published a study comparing their own silicone vs EPDM rubber. The conclusion was that silicone was 15 times more permeable. I don't think you would ever see weeping. I've never seen weeping on any radiator hose, but have found them to be damp on a cool morning after a long drive the day before. Looking at the hoses offered on ebay, I wonder if the purpose of the 'tape' is to reduce the loss of coolant.

I did find this that has a small mention of the issue at the bottom of the page. https://www.siliconehose.com/blog/si...s-rubber-hose/
Thanks for that link outlining the potential issue. Although it looks like black tape, i believe it is a wrapping layer under the surface of the silicone. I think the Ebay page stated something about 4 layers and some may be to minimize the permeability. I will definitely make checking the antifreeze level part of my checks once I get them installed. I know on my car, I have had for 6 years, i haven't added a drop of AF to the overflow but if I have to top my bike off a couple times during the season, I won't call that a really bad issue. Now, if i have to top it off every ride, that would be a different story.

Since it is the vapor that the hoses are permeable to, if the system is totally or almost totally full, there shouldn't be very much area exposed to vapor to be passing through unless you are boiling your antifreeze which is a possibility in some climates or maybe in some hot spots in the engine.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #21 of 53 Old Mar 9th, 2017, 11:14 pm

At an additional $45 for the clamps, I think I might be able to do better in buying some from Amazon. I will just have to measure the hoses when I get them to see what clamps I will need. The kit as always does not mention what size clamps are included.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #22 of 53 Old Mar 10th, 2017, 5:31 pm Thread Starter

I found the sizes by looking at the pictures. The sizes are 12,16,20,22,25,30,35 and 40. I hope this helps.
post #23 of 53 Old Mar 10th, 2017, 9:51 pm

Quote:
I found the sizes by looking at the pictures. The sizes are 12,16,20,22,25,30,35 and 40. I hope this helps.
Well, I would expect that there would be several of the same size and maybe one or two larger ones and a couple small ones for the little hose. I did see those numbers on the clamps in the picture but don't think those are the actual clamp sizes required. It doesn't make sense looking at the actual hoses. It also says for illustration only so don't go buying one of each size.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Last edited by bmwcoolk1200; Mar 11th, 2017 at 6:38 am.
post #24 of 53 Old Mar 11th, 2017, 1:02 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Even if I can only use the other hoses and not the Y , I still save $100 over the BMW parts. It was $14.99 shipping and 84.98 GBP total so about $103 US. I will let you know what I get when I get it. Hope it was not a waste of money but we will see. Sometimes you have to take the risk.
True, and I thank you for taking this risk so I don't have to! My last risk taking with my LT (clutch rebuild by Southland Clutch) did not turn out so well.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #25 of 53 Old Mar 11th, 2017, 1:25 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Thanks for that link outlining the potential issue. Although it looks like black tape, i believe it is a wrapping layer under the surface of the silicone. I think the Ebay page stated something about 4 layers and some may be to minimize the permeability. I will definitely make checking the antifreeze level part of my checks once I get them installed. I know on my car, I have had for 6 years, i haven't added a drop of AF to the overflow but if I have to top my bike off a couple times during the season, I won't call that a really bad issue. Now, if i have to top it off every ride, that would be a different story.

Since it is the vapor that the hoses are permeable to, if the system is totally or almost totally full, there shouldn't be very much area exposed to vapor to be passing through unless you are boiling your antifreeze which is a possibility in some climates or maybe in some hot spots in the engine.
I found anecdotal claims about water vapor permeability and claims that Gates had done a study confirming 15X more permeability for silicone. However, I found nothing at either the Gates site or the Dow Corning site. I found one table that listed air permeability, but that is nitrogen and oxygen rather than water molecules.

Worst case, maybe you have to replace a little coolant once or twice a year. And, as you say, modern coolant systems with a pressure cap and coolant recovery tank should have no vapor in them after a few hot and cold cycles. Permeability would be low on my concern list based on what I have found (or not found) thus far.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #26 of 53 Old Mar 11th, 2017, 5:15 pm

Quote:
True, and I thank you for taking this risk so I don't have to! My last risk taking with my LT (clutch rebuild by Southland Clutch) did not turn out so well.
I have a bore camera that I am going to inspect the inside of the composite Y hose to see if there is any indication of how it is assembled or any possible weakness at the junction. If not, I will go ahead and use it with hopes it will withstand the duty. My hoses are 16 years old so I have borrowed about as much time as I want to although they are still fairly pliable. I will try and come up with a list of clamp sizes and see if I can get the set of 9 for less than $45. Somehow that doesn't seem like a deal but who knows till I try.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #27 of 53 Old Mar 14th, 2017, 10:32 pm

Received my silicone hoses today. They look exactly like the photo so no complaints so far. I used my camera and my cheap bore camera to try and take some pictures of the inside where the Y hose was fabricated. They look fairly well made. I just hope they fit where they are supposed to.

I ordered some bags of 10 clamps and even though I do not need them all, it still is less than the clamp kit.

Ordered in packs of 10 for $26.43 total
12mm to 20mm need 2
20mm to 32mm need 1
32mm to 50mm need 6
and that is if I measured correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02181.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	625.6 KB
ID:	123873   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02182.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	613.4 KB
ID:	123881   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02183.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	385.2 KB
ID:	123889   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02186.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	397.4 KB
ID:	123897   Click image for larger version

Name:	internal Y 1.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	123905  

Name:	internal Y 2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	123913   Click image for larger version

Name:	internal Y 3.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	123921  
mtrevelino, sailor and bob1811 like this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #28 of 53 Old Mar 15th, 2017, 11:00 am

Quote:
Received my silicone hoses today. They look exactly like the photo so no complaints so far. I used my camera and my cheap bore camera to try and take some pictures of the inside where the Y hose was fabricated. They look fairly well made. I just hope they fit where they are supposed to.

I ordered some bags of 10 clamps and even though I do not need them all, it still is less than the clamp kit.

12mm to 20mm need 2
20mm to 32mm need 1
32mm to 50mm need 6
Yes I am quoting myself.

Here are the links to the smooth band clamps I bought in case someone was looking to do the same. Not going to swear by the sizes yet. This type of clamp is necessary so the notches in the band do not damage the hose surface. There are other protected types available also so not your only choice. I liked these as they have a raised smooth ridge on the outside edges to keep from digging in as well as pressed teeth from the inside so not to shear the hose surface as you tighten.

20mm - 32mm
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

32mm - 50mm

12mm - 20mm

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #29 of 53 Old Mar 15th, 2017, 7:49 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

12mm to 20mm need 2
20mm to 32mm need 1
32mm to 50mm need 6

Got those hoses changed yet?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #30 of 53 Old Mar 15th, 2017, 7:56 pm

Quote:
Got those hoses changed yet?
Did you buy your set yet?

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #31 of 53 Old Mar 15th, 2017, 8:03 pm Thread Starter

mine should be in on Friday. I will install them next week. In the process of getting my bike painted and ordered a new stereo and the ASWC-1 steering wheel control so I can make my handle bar controls work as well. I am definitely excited!!!
Voyager and bmwcoolk1200 like this.
post #32 of 53 Old Mar 15th, 2017, 8:38 pm

Quote:
mine should be in on Friday. I will install them next week. In the process of getting my bike painted and ordered a new stereo and the ASWC-1 steering wheel control so I can make my handle bar controls work as well. I am definitely excited!!!
I may not get to mine quite that quickly. My clamps should be here by Friday though. I am anxious to see how that Y pipe fits or any of them for that matter so if you get to yours first, take pictures as you go. It looks like that listing has ended and 8 were sold. There are a couple other listings in qty of 8 at a time so you haven't missed out yet.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #33 of 53 Old Mar 16th, 2017, 9:44 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Did you buy your set yet?
No, I have a couple years before my next coolant change so I will get them then. Plus, I am waiting to see how much coolant you lose due to the higher permeability of silicone. I am guessing it won't be significant, but who knows?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #34 of 53 Old Mar 16th, 2017, 11:30 am

Quote:
No, I have a couple years before my next coolant change so I will get them then. Plus, I am waiting to see how much coolant you lose due to the higher permeability of silicone. I am guessing it won't be significant, but who knows?
I am guessing it won't be significant either but I can carry a stainless bottle in one of the cases with some antifreeze in it if necessary to top off. With the higher vapor pressure of an antifreeze product, I suspect there won't be much water vapor to be permeating much.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #35 of 53 Old Mar 16th, 2017, 3:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

I ordered a set (grey color) on the 14th. I figure they should be here sometime next week. Probably won't install until the weather warms up a bit and I'm able to get some "lessons learned" tips from other forum member's install experience.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

Bob

2005 Blue K1200LT
2010 R1200GS
BMW/MOA 94539

post #36 of 53 Old Mar 16th, 2017, 3:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1811 View Post
I ordered a set (grey color) on the 14th. I figure they should be here sometime next week. Probably won't install until the weather warms up a bit and I'm able to get some "lessons learned" tips from other forum member's install experience.
Where did you order them from Bob?

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #37 of 53 Old Mar 16th, 2017, 8:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Where did you order them from Bob?
I ordered them from AS3 performance, on eBay via the link located near the beginning of this post.

Bob

2005 Blue K1200LT
2010 R1200GS
BMW/MOA 94539

post #38 of 53 Old Mar 16th, 2017, 9:05 pm

Quote:
I ordered them from AS3 performance, on eBay via the link located near the beginning of this post.
OK, they may look kind of grey in the picture but they will be black so I hope you are not disappointed. Same ones I ordered.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #39 of 53 Old Mar 16th, 2017, 9:36 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Gordon,

I would very much prefer black hoses, but the description on eBay was gray. I hope that you are right.
Maybe it's a British thing, kinda like the difference between navy blue and black :-)

Bob

2005 Blue K1200LT
2010 R1200GS
BMW/MOA 94539

post #40 of 53 Old Mar 16th, 2017, 10:11 pm

Quote:
Gordon,

I would very much prefer black hoses, but the description on eBay was gray. I hope that you are right.
Maybe it's a British thing, kinda like the difference between navy blue and black :-)
I stand corrected. The link I used is now an ended auction for black. The current ones are actually listed as grey so that is probably what you will get. Mine are black with blue inside. Looks like the other auctions are grey with black. Should be OK as they are mostly covered.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #41 of 53 Old Mar 17th, 2017, 11:56 am Thread Starter

My hoses are grey and I just received them with the clamps i ordered. The clamps are heavy duty bands with no ridges or slots in them. If you need the sizes please let me know.
post #42 of 53 Old Mar 17th, 2017, 12:29 pm

Quote:
My hoses are grey and I just received them with the clamps i ordered. The clamps are heavy duty bands with no ridges or slots in them. If you need the sizes please let me know.
If you can list the sizes that came in the kit and the number of each, I can compare that to what I purchassed.

12mm to 20mm need 2
20mm to 32mm need 1
32mm to 50mm need 6

Edit: Also curious how much needs to come off to get to all the hoses and clamps from someone who has replaced the hoses before.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Last edited by bmwcoolk1200; Mar 17th, 2017 at 1:34 pm.
post #43 of 53 Old Mar 17th, 2017, 2:09 pm Thread Starter

qty 1; Size 45mm (35- 45)mm
qty 5; Size 40mm (30- 40)mm
qty 1; Size 30mm (22- 30)mm
qty 2; Size 16mm (11 - 16)mm
post #44 of 53 Old Mar 17th, 2017, 3:10 pm

Quote:
qty 1; Size 45mm (35- 45)mm
qty 5; Size 40mm (30- 40)mm
qty 1; Size 30mm (22- 30)mm
qty 2; Size 16mm (11 - 16)mm
Great. Looks like I am close enough for hose lamps.

Thanks

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #45 of 53 Old Mar 17th, 2017, 4:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Great. Looks like I am close enough for hose lamps.

Thanks
Lighted hoses. Cool idea!
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #46 of 53 Old Mar 17th, 2017, 4:15 pm

Quote:
Lighted hoses. Cool idea!
Have't you seen Kirk's Farkle video. Why not light up the hoses?

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #47 of 53 Old Mar 17th, 2017, 8:09 pm Thread Starter

I am not sure but from what I can see, the radiator fan shroud on the left hand side needs to be removed to get to the center hose connections. I have my biked stripped down and I am removing the gas tank anyway to replace the air and fuel filter along with the hoses as well. While in there, it should be easy to get to the radiators. By the way, I always use BMW antifreeze(not required) and distilled water from the local store. I purchase the 2 quarts of antifreeze from the BMW dealer.
post #48 of 53 Old Mar 17th, 2017, 10:30 pm

Quote:
I am not sure but from what I can see, the radiator fan shroud on the left hand side needs to be removed to get to the center hose connections. I have my biked stripped down and I am removing the gas tank anyway to replace the air and fuel filter along with the hoses as well. While in there, it should be easy to get to the radiators. By the way, I always use BMW antifreeze(not required) and distilled water from the local store. I purchase the 2 quarts of antifreeze from the BMW dealer.
OK. Remember, pictures are a requirement for being a member of this site.

I got my clamps today and decided that the 32mm to 50mm that I ordered are too large and distort too much in tightening them to that small a diameter. I could massage them some to make them more round but I ordered some slightly smaller ones 25mm - 40mm and will see how they are now that I have the sizes from you.

I bought some Prestone premix for all metals. The entire system holds just less than a gallon so I should be good when i get to it.

Did I mention pictures
bob1811 likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #49 of 53 Old Mar 18th, 2017, 5:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
I would love to get a report outlining your hose install experiences/challenges with these silicone hoses. Mine should be delivered sometime next week (along with the hose clips), and this is my first experience with this product. I've watched several YouTube videos of installs on cars, apparently with great success. It's my hope this might become the go-to source for replacement hoses over the very pricey OEM version.

Bob

2005 Blue K1200LT
2010 R1200GS
BMW/MOA 94539

post #50 of 53 Old Mar 22nd, 2017, 12:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Okay, My hoses and clips arrived today via FedEx. They are grey in color and seem to be of very good quality. They will give a different look, but should compliment the existing grey lower fairing of the LT.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC01413.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	873.9 KB
ID:	124097  

Bob

2005 Blue K1200LT
2010 R1200GS
BMW/MOA 94539

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in