CB windshield packaging and distortion - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Nov 13th, 2006, 10:22 pm Thread Starter

CB windshield packaging and distortion

Just curious how yours came packaged. I thought from the web page they would come with the "sticky brown paper" protecting the product. Mine came well protected in bubble wrap. The reason I am asking is there is a small baseball size distortion I did not notice when I mounted it last night, but showed up when I rode to work today. They also shipped right away with no wait, leading me to think they had one laying around. I am curious before I call them if maybe this one had maybe come back to them before?

It is out of my direct line of sight, but for $250 I would expect it to be right.

Thanks for your experience with CB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Nov 14th, 2006, 12:04 am

The CB I purchased some time back had been sprayed with a coating such as SprayLat (a milky colored rubbery material). I think your hunch may be correct.
post #3 of 7 Old Nov 14th, 2006, 12:42 am
RMW

If you purchased a #2 the distortion may be the low pressure area at the point where the windscreen curves upward. This is normal and should be out of line of sight.

This bend in the screen lifts the air flow up somewhat higher. The design allows a shorter windscreen with better protection. I believe they all have this spot of distortion to some degree if they are the #2 model.

Regardless , if you are not satisfied with it they seem to be pretty good on the customer service end of things. You may want to talk to them about the above before returning it.

My experience with CB is they stand behind their product. No affiliations etc.

Best of luck.

Ron Wilkerson
05 LT
07 KLR
09 GSA

post #4 of 7 Old Nov 14th, 2006, 11:45 am Thread Starter

You and CB have the same story. This distortion is "normal" although I do not remember seeing any discussion about this on this Forum, or any 'disclosure' of this fact on their website. (but my wife does say I am a lousy looker, not to be mistaken for looking bad...) Either way it is out of my line of sight and should not be a problem.

Also with respect to their customer service: I ordered and mounted a -2. In the end after riding I would prefer a -1, they said no problem, they will exchange. Doesn't get much better than that.
post #5 of 7 Old Nov 14th, 2006, 12:30 pm

I have had a CB #2-2 for several years. If memory serves, it came in a box wrapped in bubble wrap.I ordered it as part of a group buy so I am pretty sure it wasn't laying around. Mine has a distortion in the middle of the screen about 12-15 inches from the lower edge. Since it is out of my line of sight so I didn't make an issue of it. I have read that this is a common flaw caused by removing the screen from the mold before it had a chance to fully setup.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old Nov 14th, 2006, 10:25 pm

I have 6 C/B's and they have all come in a box with buble wrap around them. I have two #2's one with wings and one without they both have a slight distortion where the bend is, out of line of sight and doesn't bother me.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #7 of 7 Old Nov 14th, 2006, 10:42 pm

I have bought 2 CB shields, and both have come just as you have described. Nothing suspicious there.

As for the distortion...if it's the #2 shield, then it's due to the bend. After a few weeks, you won't even notice it anymore. Or, you can always have them keep sending you shields until you find that perfect one. (Some shields do have a smaller distorted spot than others.)

All the best...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in