Uh Oh - Is BMW and the LT next? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Nov 12th, 2006, 8:47 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation Uh Oh - Is BMW and the LT next?

Would not surprise me at all:

http://www.hbsslaw.com/honda_lawsuit.htm

...and if you actually READ the entire 46 pages your eyes may slowly glaze over.

Sounds like a very familiar story told here MANY, many times over the years. According to what I read nothing has changed in 2005 or 2006. I thought for sure the change in steering geometry introduced in 2005 would cure it.

Yeah, I'm still pissed at the way I was patronized by BMWNA's Southwest Regional rep a few years back regarding my '01 wobbles:

"There's nothing wrong with your bike, but your tires are inflated WAY too much and that's what is causing the problem!" (42, 48. Yep, right on)

I still think the real culprit is this:

http://www.rattlebars.com/valkfaq/tirewear/

combined with purposely recommended low factory inflation pressures designed to maximize grip and comfort. Throw in grossly under engineered tires for all brands of heavy bikes - and it still does not relieve BMW of culpability. IMHO.

Gee, this is almost as much fun as an OIL THREAD!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Nov 12th, 2006, 11:22 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Let us know when you get this one all sorted out Ron, then maybe we can go after BMW for a weak rear drive design. I'll be waiting . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 11 Old Nov 12th, 2006, 11:35 pm

I put in my 2 cents worth (ala a two-minute rant) with the BMW rep during CCR in Jackson Hole. Everyone there looked at me like I was a freak. Welcome to the club Ron. It seems to me, unless you're not ranting about final drives and slave cylinders . . . well you're just being unreasonable.

post #4 of 11 Old Nov 12th, 2006, 11:39 pm

Thats some great information.

If I get Ohlins Shocks and raise suspension 1/2 to 1 inch in height what effect will that have on bike. Will it be harder or easier at slow speeds? The rake and trail must be affected some how.

Can someone advise.

Thanks

Hulkster 2002 BMW K1200LTE "Hulkster Green"

post #5 of 11 Old Nov 13th, 2006, 6:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulkster
Thats some great information.

If I get Ohlins Shocks and raise suspension 1/2 to 1 inch in height what effect will that have on bike. Will it be harder or easier at slow speeds? The rake and trail must be affected some how.

Can someone advise.

Thanks
I have the wilbers with adjustabe ride height, mine is up a half inch, i have no problem at all (well it is harder to reach the ground)

I did raise the rear max height and and raised the front just a tad less than the rear, it cuts into the corners very well . no slow speed issues, i have had no wobble issue at all, the bike is a 2002 LTC

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #6 of 11 Old Nov 13th, 2006, 8:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller

Yeah, I'm still pissed at the way I was patronized by BMWNA's Southwest Regional rep a few years back regarding my '01 wobbles:

"There's nothing wrong with your bike, but your tires are inflated WAY too much and that's what is causing the problem!" (42, 48. Yep, right on)
Sometimes the condescension towards the customer in this industry is astounding, (even to an SOB like myself) Without even knowing who they are dealing with!
Case in point Crane Ignition, were testing this thing at the Megaflo shop, and we can't get any improvements on it. In fact all the numbers are less than stock equipment. Now I don't tell Jim, "hey your screwing something up" I say "maybe we got a bad unit".
Right lets call them and have them send out another one.
Well the people at Crane are less than helpful on the phone, in fact they are saying that we just don't know how to tune a bike with electronic ing. REALLY!
We call a local service manager at the HD shop, he has 6 in stock will send us 3 over.
Before they even get there, we get call from our guy at S+S, Crane had called asking them who the hell was Megaflo. They educated them, here is a very short list, 8 of the top 10 fastest street legal HD's run Megaflo heads, along with lots of Pro's and 3 #1 plates hanging on the walls, doing (at the time done now) all the R+D for the S+S twin-cam heads etc.
Crane calls back eating the full Crow one bite at a time, to late! "We are going to test them to the limit and we will publish the results'
We got the we will sue your ass off speech, when we sent the advance copy to them. Like thats a first.
"Lose Horsepower and Torque with the $400. Paperweight from Crane Ing."
Rock
post #7 of 11 Old Nov 13th, 2006, 9:31 am

Careful - look what our legal system did to the light aircraft industry.........
post #8 of 11 Old Nov 13th, 2006, 10:51 pm

....and OJ Simpson...

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
post #9 of 11 Old Nov 14th, 2006, 8:25 am

Why not forward the survey and NHSTA information to the attorney who filed the GL1800 suit. Maybe they would take it on a contingency basis.
post #10 of 11 Old Nov 14th, 2006, 5:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodoodrum
Why not forward the survey and NHSTA information to the attorney who filed the GL1800 suit. Maybe they would take it on a contingency basis.
They probably would. But have you ever gotten a notice that you're a member of a class action suit and that if you fill out the pages of paperwork you'll be entitled to a $25.00 compensation and then look further and see how many millions the attorneys are getting for the suit. No thanks. Would just cost BMW alot of bucks for the attorneys benefit. Would be nice to see a gov't angency push BMW to cover the repair costs. (Yeah like that's going to happen)

Carl

Euclid, Ohio
2003 Silver LTE
1971 HD XLH Sportster
post #11 of 11 Old Nov 14th, 2006, 8:13 pm
King of the Castle

It amazes me considering the state of our wonderful legal system that anyone can or would want to take on the liability of manufacturing motorcycles for sale in this country. After all, they are inherently dangerous. Just raise your kickstand and put your feet on the pegs and see. Can anyone explain to me why there is not a grass roots outcry for major legal reform? Except the argument that all the laws are crafted by and for lawyers.

Bruce

2012 Kawasaki Concours
2014 BMW K1600 GTL Exclusive
2006 Harley Road Glide

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in