Clean Windscreen - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Nov 12th, 2006, 4:01 pm Thread Starter

Clean Windscreen

Can anybody tell me the best way to clean my 01/LT windscreen.

I have tried using general silicon furniture polish, wax polish and plastic cleaner for visors/windscreen.

Even using the above the screen has smears and marks.

Also in the rain I have to drop the screen to have good visibility, I believe there is some liquid available which can be used to clean/polish and act as a water repellent.

There must be a simple answer to this problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Nov 12th, 2006, 5:54 pm

I have been experimenting with this little problem. Some of the cleaners cause the dreaded fogging of the shield....some waxes cause swirls. I finally did a web search and found a formula for a cleaner to make yourself. I made up a quart of it in a spray bottle and it is working great. So far , no hint of any damage to the coating.

Recipe:

1 cup Isopropyl Alcohol ( rubbing alcohol )
1 cup of Water
1 TBS of Vinegar

I even use it on my glasses.

Ron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #3 of 10 Old Nov 12th, 2006, 6:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanprorib
Can anybody tell me the best way to clean my 01/LT windscreen.

I have tried using general silicon furniture polish, wax polish and plastic cleaner for visors/windscreen.

Even using the above the screen has smears and marks.

Also in the rain I have to drop the screen to have good visibility, I believe there is some liquid available which can be used to clean/polish and act as a water repellent.

There must be a simple answer to this problem.
Lemme tell ya what I did a few weeks ago. Bought an OEM windscreen off a '99 LT that lives in NYC; the owner had removed it shortly after buying the bike in '99 - he swapped it for a Euro cut screen - and it's apparently been in some kind of storage since '99 - he wuzn't using it, so he sold it.

When it arrived at my casa, I promptly removed the screen that had been with Toad for the last several years. Not a real problem with it - just a few small delam areas and some road nicks. Reason I bought the recent acquisition wuz cuz I figgered it being in storage and hardly ever used, it would upgrade my existing one. I installed it, noticing that it had a few small delams and some scratches where the attaching arms apparently scraped it during removal, or sumpthin' - no biggie. Rode uptown and around for a coupla days, during the afternoon - no problem. Then, one early morning, I'm out in the garage and notice that the recent screen is fogged over (serious fogging), while the one I've had for sometime isn't?! I cleaned 'em both with Brillianize and figgered it wuz just an anomaly. Nope, the bought one immediately fogged up again, just about the time I'd finish the front and start on the back, the front would fog up again.

I grabbed a spray can of WD-40 - remembering that it displaces moisture - and a soft rag and commenced to rub and rub the windscreen, front and back. Lo and behold - the fogging went away and didn't reappear. I waited about an hour; still no fogging. So, I cleaned both screens again with WD-40 and then after wiping everythang down, I Brillianized all over both screens and have not had a fogging problem since then. And we've had some mornings where the humidity has been pretty severe. In fact, Toad is on the lift in an all-metal storage building right now - and morning humidity in there can be pretty intense. No fogging, so far.

So, long story long - I rely on David Shealey's explanation for a lot of what happens to our LT's scoots and accessories, and when he opined that the OEM screens are susceptible to moisture penetration thru the thin outerlayer film and then the moisture can't evaporate readily - well, maybe that's why the WD-40 (Water Displacement formula #40) worked for me. Hasn't been a real long time since the application, so I don't know if this is a permanent fix or temporary. I also don't know if WD-40 and the OEM protective outer film will live together peacefully. I do know that if the fogging reoccurs, I'll grab the WD-40 again.

Just my nickel - ymmv. And y'all know I own the Brillianize distributorship for the entire planet!!

post #4 of 10 Old Nov 12th, 2006, 6:45 pm

I have been using the Honda Cleaner/ Wax with good results. My local BMW dealer told me this is the thing to use and it doesn't fog or yellow over time. I just hope he is right.
post #5 of 10 Old Nov 12th, 2006, 6:50 pm

Garage
IMO Honda Pro spray Cleaner works best . I've used it for about 15 years and have not experienced the fogging problem.
post #6 of 10 Old Nov 13th, 2006, 6:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellenbenz
I have been experimenting with this little problem. Some of the cleaners cause the dreaded fogging of the shield....some waxes cause swirls. I finally did a web search and found a formula for a cleaner to make yourself. I made up a quart of it in a spray bottle and it is working great. So far , no hint of any damage to the coating.

Recipe:

1 cup Isopropyl Alcohol ( rubbing alcohol )
1 cup of Water
1 TBS of Vinegar

I even use it on my glasses.

Ron
It also works good for swimmers ear(minus the water). And do you fly that dang thanng? Tell us about it!

Current rides:
2003 BMW 1200 LT (bought in 2006)

Past rides:
97 Kawasaki ZX11(bought new in 1997, sadly sold in September 2014)
89 Honda Hurricane (sold)
88 Honda Hurricane (traded on an SUV)
86 Kawasaki 1000R (stolen but recovered)
84 Honda 750F (traded on 1000R)
81 Suzuki GSX1100 (sold)
78 Suzuki GS750 (traded on GSX1100)
74 Yamaha RD50 (sold)
post #7 of 10 Old Nov 13th, 2006, 7:19 am

Using anything other than hot water, and you risk ruining that OEM shield. It's a finicky little thang. Although, WD-40 every once-in-awhile sounds like a great idea. Thanks Dick.
post #8 of 10 Old Nov 13th, 2006, 7:40 am

If it's new - Just Water -let it soak

Mine is going on 4 years/26,000 miles and nothing has been on it except water, love bugs, salt spray, some snow, frost and lots of dust. NOTHING but water! If it has been treated with multiple mixtures of home remedies, sounds like the WD40 might be the solution.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #9 of 10 Old Nov 13th, 2006, 8:29 am

My replacement was the National Cycles shield. I emailed and a guy replied to NOT use ANYTHING with AMMONIA. I also asked about the Honda Spray polish in the black can. He recommended that, and said that's what he used on his own.

Once it's fogged, it's probably fogged for good. Mine would be clear in warm weather, but next morning in cool, it would too foggy to see thru. No amount of cleaning would fix it. Only warm weather.

Rando
post #10 of 10 Old Nov 13th, 2006, 9:28 am

My screen stays fogged up. I live in a very humid part of the planet and Friday we had a cold front blow through and it's still hare. Our humidity has dropped to w whopping 89% after three days of a north wind.
If I leave and ride north, the screen slowly clears up and by the time I get home, it's starting to fog up again. I guess that the weather has a lot to do with it.

"BONES" <///><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in